Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 05:29 PM

17,281 posts, read 22,006,628 times

Advertisements

Hummer are great!

Pros: can be done almost anywhere
Cons: Spouses can get upset when they aren't involved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 05:39 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,940,992 times
Pros: 4wd superiority over anything else and excellent ground clearance.
Cons: weak IED survivablity compared to MRAPs.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:40 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Uh, no, they don't.

H1 was semi-spec so they could be had with okay interior amenities. Not much in the design department, but you could get them with decent leather and such. Basically straight out of the '80s style though.

Downsides, terrible handling, one of the only things in existence that makes a Prius look like a rocket ship, gas mileage, operating costs, driveability on public roads (big, very poor turning radius, bad ride quality).
Then the leathered seats are the only nice amenity in the H1. Besides, maybe you should look at a comparison between the H1 and Jeep Wrangler to see which one is better. Besides, the H1 was never designed as a purely luxury vehicle because it shares the same design as the military vehicle Humvee.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 04-20-2017 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I know the Hummer H1s have very nice interior amenities even though it was never known as a purely luxury vehicle, based of the military predecessor, the Humvee, but the problems with Hummers that I can think of is the size of the vehicle. Its size may not fit into a garage unless if your garage is beg enough. The main problem with most Hummers is that they have poor gas mileage. Any thoughts?

https://www.thoughtco.com/hummers-to...-features-4500

My buddy almost bought one a while back. Imo It would be a cool car for a while. After that the insurance, crappy ride, noise, horrible fuel mileage, pita to park, not to mention for its size it has very little passenger and cargo room and it has a very rigorous maintenance schedule would take its toll on your wallet.

You can pick up a Humvee pretty cheap these days. 40-60k. Wait until diesel prices go up the Humvees will be even cheaper. If I could snag one for 25/30k I would buy one just as a once in a while vehicle. It wouldn't be a daily driver. If you find one I know that maintenance records are very important. Also make sure the AC was recalled/redone on the older ones. Lots of vehicle specific parts on that vehicle. You need a heavy wallet if you wanna own one. I talked my buddy out of it. I think he ended up with a MB E class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Pros: 4wd superiority over anything else and excellent ground clearance.
Cons: weak IED survivablity compared to MRAPs.
Plenty of 4x4s that will keep up or eat a Humvee alive off-road. But really depends on what off road you're talking about.. It's decent off road as long as it fits or there is room but it's big heavy and last I checked. And I dont know about you but I don't hit IEDs on my way to work. Thank god for that.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:01 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Outdated, old, no dealer support now, yesterday's technology.
Old military tech can still kick ass. IT was built to specifications even current vehicles that have civilian compromises can not match. An old drag car or F1 car from the 60s can still blow the doors off a modern "sports" car in a speed contest, and by that same token an H1 is practically unmatched in offroad capability even now.

Even still, if you want luxury just get an H2. You'll get about 85ish% of the capability and way more creature comforts. Take to any GM dealer for service, but probably should stick to the ones that used to have a franchise, typically the Cadillac dealers.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Hummer are great!

Fair point... so if a hummer is performed in an H1 hummer is it then called an H1^2 hummer?

Old 04-20-2017, 06:12 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Hummer are great!

It took until page 2 for this response. I'm most disappointed.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,133 times
The Hummer models trace its origins to the military Humvees, especially the H1s. Humvees used to be exclusively for the military or even police (including military police) but, as of 2014, there are Humvees that are sold to the public now.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:37 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
I personally think their ugly!

Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Old military tech can still kick ass. IT was built to specifications even current vehicles that have civilian compromises can not match. An old drag car or F1 car from the 60s can still blow the doors off a modern "sports" car in a speed contest, and by that same token an H1 is practically unmatched in offroad capability even now.

Even still, if you want luxury just get an H2. You'll get about 85ish% of the capability and way more creature comforts. Take to any GM dealer for service, but probably should stick to the ones that used to have a franchise, typically the Cadillac dealers.

Sure old tech can still kick ass. Humvees aren't slouches off road. But they have limitations. High speed off road a Raptor would run rings around a H1. For a fair amount of off road situations a H1 is simply too big and heavy.
You can actually convert to a solid axle on a H2 and get rid of the crappy problematic IFS. The H2 is basically a 1/2 ton Tahoe running with 3/4-1 ton drivetrain. Too bad they never came with the 8.1 Vortec
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive