Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Not only that but customers lie and make up impossible prices they supposedly got somewhere else. The most fun lies were 'Carmax said they'd give me ____ for my trade in'. Great, I'd say, let's go to Carmax!' And I meant it. If the offer is true, let's go get that money from them, because my used car manager isn't offering that.

When it is a lie, (usually) they start back-peddling. People say bad things about car salespeople but not all are unethical and customers lie too.
Lying won't get you a better deal. It might even make the dealer less accommodating. They do this for a living every day, they've seen it all. A smart salesperson will play along but they'll all see through any lie (or the sales manager will), so why bother?

However, a buyer need not show all his/her cards at the start if ever. The dealer probably won't no matter what they may say.

Car dealers know what it takes to make a sale, and what margin they're willing to accept on a given day for each make-model. There's a bottom line each they won't cross no matter how clever a buyer is, a buyers goal is to get as close to it as possible. But that bottom line isn't the same at every dealer on a given day.

There is almost no chance of going into one dealer and getting the best deal possible in your area in one sitting. The best deals take a little time, effort and savvy.

Buyers have to know what a car is worth (not MSRP unless it's a VERY high demand make/model), what their trade in is worth (not used retail to a dealer), and don't get confused with financing (where a lot of people blow it). Then compare across as many dealers as possible and be patient. Using the internet shortens the process, but you still have to go to one or a few showrooms in the end.

A buyer can't fall in love with a car (or show it at least) and you have to be willing to walk to get the best deal. It's a cat and mouse game, and the dealer has an advantage. But if you play it right, you can do much better than an unprepared, impatient or easily intimidated buyer. It can be fun, and save your family hundreds if not thousands.

Last edited by Midpack; 04-26-2017 at 12:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 06:00 AM

491 posts, read 473,786 times
There are always dealership fees. They weren't ripping you off. Also, shipping fees, etc. You kind of factor that into what you're buying.

Also, what kind of car were you buying? If it's new, you have to go through the dealership. Also, realize they don't really have that much wiggle room. There's only so little they can offer the car for. They can't just give you a new car for way less than what it's worth. I just feel like most people make the dealership process much more difficult than it has to be. If you're financing and expecting a deal, it's just not gonna happen, unless it's a car they really don't want or it's a used car that's been sitting there for a long time. Dealerships will always give you "discounts," but then they always have fees afterwards they attach afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive