Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 667 times

Advertisements

....yea, you can't buy ANY car or SUV for under 35k now ...it seems.....I buy one owner used high dollar vehicles, letting the previous owner take the hit for the "new"........you have to look for the car you want nation wide and then get it shipped or plan a road trip for pick up...I just paid 22K for a car with 55K miles that was originally priced 87K in 2009.....it 'is sa crazy sweet car with all the stuff, including the paperwork that the owner did for maintenance, etc...still smells new ,,,all leather and 420HP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 04:21 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You are not going to get a $42,000 Mustang for $35,000 unless:

2. There are manufacturer rebates or other incentives (like 0% interest) that can be passed on to you.

3. There are special dealer incentives from the manufacturer like if they sell 100 mustangs by June 1, they get a bonus of $XXXX. If they are close to the bonus number and running out of time, sometimes the dealers will kick in some of their anticipated bonus in order to get the sale.
9% under factory sticker prices is as low as most dealers can go and still make a bit of money on the deal. A really high volume dealer does a bit better than that. The exception is things like listed above where there are manufacturer marketing incentives and extra holdbacks. For a popular car at this time of year, those aren't likely to happen.

I'd just start web/emailing dealers to get the internet sales guy and offer 8% under MSRP. Somebody is likely to bite on an ordered car. If the car is popular, you're not likely to get that price on a car already sitting on their lot.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:09 PM

586 posts, read 554,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Little Back story. I am a Ford Mustang guy. I test drove a brand new 2017 GT, fully loaded, last month on my birthday. Loved the car, but the price tag was $45,000. Certainly much more than I'm willing to pay for a brand new car.

That being said, let's say I'm in the hypothetical situation where I'm actually going to sit down and negotiate on buying this car. I know that anything close to $40,000 is way out of my price range, let alone the sticker price at $45,000. What would be a reasonable opening offer on this car? $25,000? $28,000? Or is that just simply ridiculous?

In reality, anything with a sticker price of above $35,000 scares me away, so I probably wouldn't even let it go into the negotiation phase if I didn't think I had enough for a sizeable down payment nor if I thought I could seriously talk them down.

Just curious. Part me thinks at $45,000, it wouldn't be anything for them to offer the car at $40,000, which would maybe make an offer from me of $25k-$28k not so unrealistic, albeit still a pretty sizable chunk off.

So, what do you say?
This reminds me of that scene from "Carrie" where her mother shrieks: "They're all going to laugh at you!"

If people could walk into a dealership and bid the price down that low, it would be done all the time and you wouldn't be asking such a question. But if you actually do it, please video it so we can see the salesperson and the GM react.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:32 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Maybe you should lease one? They will never take that much off! Yu could try though I suppose!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:15 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Why do people keep saying he can't get that much off when a number of links have been posted to cars with big discounts??
No, I don't think he can get $20K off, but I think $10K or even a bit more is certainly doable.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-25-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 PM

10 posts, read 7,696 times
Quote:
Little Back story. I am a Ford Mustang guy. I test drove a brand new 2017 GT, fully loaded, last month on my birthday. Loved the car, but the price tag was $45,000. Certainly much more than I'm willing to pay for a brand new car.

That being said, let's say I'm in the hypothetical situation where I'm actually going to sit down and negotiate on buying this car. I know that anything close to $40,000 is way out of my price range, let alone the sticker price at $45,000. What would be a reasonable opening offer on this car? $25,000? $28,000? Or is that just simply ridiculous?

In reality, anything with a sticker price of above $35,000 scares me away, so I probably wouldn't even let it go into the negotiation phase if I didn't think I had enough for a sizeable down payment nor if I thought I could seriously talk them down.

Just curious. Part me thinks at $45,000, it wouldn't be anything for them to offer the car at $40,000, which would maybe make an offer from me of $25k-$28k not so unrealistic, albeit still a pretty sizable chunk off.

So, what do you say?
why do you have to get the fully loaded expensive one? Mustangs are pretty reasonably priced as you can get them in the upper 20's for a base GT. Upper 20's for a fully loaded is just wasting everyone's time.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:45 PM

10 posts, read 7,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiter7 View Post
....yea, you can't buy ANY car or SUV for under 35k now ...it seems.....I buy one owner used high dollar vehicles, letting the previous owner take the hit for the "new"........you have to look for the car you want nation wide and then get it shipped or plan a road trip for pick up...I just paid 22K for a car with 55K miles that was originally priced 87K in 2009.....it 'is sa crazy sweet car with all the stuff, including the paperwork that the owner did for maintenance, etc...still smells new ,,,all leather and 420HP.
it's 9 years old, what do you expect?

Old 04-26-2017, 10:26 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Thanks for the replies guys.

First of all, as stated in the OP, it's a hypothetical situation. We're not talking about why I wouldn't choose base instead of premium, why leasing isn't an option, why not a Camaro, and why not buy used? Strictly asking the question, would a $25,000 - $28,000 opening offer on a sports car be ridiculous if the car is priced at $45,000. Has nothing to do about not being able to afford a $40k+ vehicle. Has everything to do with getting the best deal.

Secondly, I posed the question to mainly get a baseline for traditional negotiation. I know my first offer, no matter how good it is, will get rejected - unless I of course I offer the sticker price. Also, sports cars (and yes, I'm going to refer to the Mustang GT as a sports car since my insurance company considers them as such) may be considered being high demand. Again, we're not talking about the family sedan that is in plenty of supply in all makes. Mustangs, while generally are easy to find on the dealerships, not always in the trim level and option level you want. Moreover, I would just about bet that for every one Mustang GT you sell, you can probably sell three of four family sedans. I could be wrong since I'm not in car sales, but it sounds like a logical conclusion to me.

Lastly, I have a friend of my brother-in-law who purchased an Lexus a few years back - brand spanking new. The car's sticker was over $52,000. He got the car for $36,000. $14,000 off the price of the car. Yes, it wasn't $20,000 off or $17,000 off, but it was $14,000 off of a luxury sports car.

So, yeah, you might say, "Well, that's Lexus, that isn't Ford Mustang GT". Sure, you're correct, but why would that make a difference?

Old 04-26-2017, 10:32 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Because every car is different. That Lexus may have been on the lot a few months too long and they just wanted to get rid of it or had options buyers didn't want.

You can't compare one car to another, the dealerships situation is different for each one.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:04 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Strictly asking the question, would a $25,000 - $28,000 opening offer on a sports car be ridiculous if the car is priced at $45,000. Has nothing to do about not being able to afford a $40k+ vehicle. Has everything to do with getting the best deal.

You really think a dealer is making a 100% markup on a Mustang GT? That there's half it's price in wiggle room for them? Yeah, half off would be a good deal. But unless the car has sat on the lot a long time and is unpopular, you're not going to get it for any less than the dealer is paying for it. I mean, you might as well say "give me the keys, I'm going to drive a way for free."

I'm not a dealer, but I've sold quite a few cars in the last 40 years, and if someone offers half my asking price, I tell them to pound sand. That's not negotiating. That's insulting and tantamount to trying to steal the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive