Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post
As a pedestrian walking on the correct side of the road (facing traffic) while you’re focusing your attention to the left makes it quite dangerous for me on your right.
I have been hit while riding a bicycle several times because of this. I was stopped next to a car that was turning. I was in the bike lane on their right, but they were too busy watching for oncoming traffic to the left and as soon as it cleared, they turned right into me without ever looking to their right. Three times i got hit. Once they broke my watch that my parents gave me for graduation. I was really miffed, but at least it was not my wrist that broke. I was bleeding a little and sore and mad, but no permanent damage other than the watch.

Twice they just drove off. The watch breaker rolled down her window and asked if I was OK. I said no. Then she drove off. We were right in front of the beach, so I guess she felt she was one with the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 06:49 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
ON "RED SIGNS", implies a stop Sign,Not a stop signal.

In my state you must come to a full stop in either case. You don't get to ease into traffic ....

I tend to look both ways when completely stopped .

Old 04-25-2017, 06:54 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
No right turn on red...is a sign itself on traffic lights.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
We have several intersections here that have no turn on red signs. You can't see well at many of those intersections. It's very hilly here and you literally can't see past a house or two. There's been a ton of accidents over the years so the signs went up for safety.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
It really is the result of drivers who are terrified of acceleration and who refuse to utilize about the only reason a modern car has over 25hp (about the power required to keep a car moving at speed on a flat highway) when pulling into a road with approaching traffic when all that power is actually required and can safely be invoked without requiring the approaching driver to brake if one actually has the nerve and skill to do so. As any driver possessing a driver's license should obviously be able to accomplish.

Because of them and the crashes they have caused we have nanny laws like this.

And every driver should ALWAYS look to the right first at EVERY intersection after stopping because that is where it would most likely a pedestrian (or of course a bicyclist who may have pulled up next to you) will potentially be coming from and where you naturally have less distance visability because of structures being closer to you and blocking your sight lines. Only when the right is clear should you look to left to see if you can safely pull out, and only after looking to the right again.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:27 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
No right turn on red is strictly money for the city.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 PM

89 posts, read 148,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In Michigan you can make a left turn on red if you are going onto a one way street or a one way side of a street divided by a median. Unless it is marked otherwise. I am not sure how many states allow that. We have some laws that appear to be primarily for confusing out of State drivers and allowing us to honk at them if they do not go when they can.

In PA, you are allowed to make a left turn on red from a one-way to a one-way if not marked and all normal rules are followed.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
In or near school zones right-on-red is often banned because of high (kid) pedestrian activity.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post
As a pedestrian walking on the correct side of the road (facing traffic) while you’re focusing your attention to the left makes it quite dangerous for me on your right.
My point was that I'm watching the traffic, including pedestrian traffic, not looking all over to see if there might be a "No Right Turn on Red" sign. Focusing my attention looking for signs is not going to improve pedestrian safety. As a pedestrian, I suggest you never walk in front of any motor vehicle, even if you have the right away, unless you first make eye contact with the driver.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:02 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have been hit while riding a bicycle several times because of this. I was stopped next to a car that was turning. I was in the bike lane on their right, but they were too busy watching for oncoming traffic to the left and as soon as it cleared, they turned right into me without ever looking to their right. Three times i got hit. Once they broke my watch that my parents gave me for graduation. I was really miffed, but at least it was not my wrist that broke. I was bleeding a little and sore and mad, but no permanent damage other than the watch.

Twice they just drove off. The watch breaker rolled down her window and asked if I was OK. I said no. Then she drove off. We were right in front of the beach, so I guess she felt she was one with the beach.
You shouldn't be riding your bike against traffic, even in a bike lane. That's just dangerous. I know you don't need to have a license to ride a bike, but please learn the road rules anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive