Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:16 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
The internet is great, isn't it? You'll hear all sorts of info from some who have had problems with their truck. Truth is, all are similar (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota). All may have some quirks and issues. One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes I wonder if people even bother reading posts or not. Why I'm stating that is you have newer model 1/2 TON RAM, a 1500, as you stated. A 2500, 3/4 TON RAM is a totally different animal, a heavier duty truck made for hauling more weight and towing more and is completely different except for the body, interior design and perhaps a few general additions. Point being is that front end issues on a 3/4 ton are not the same as on the half ton. Ride quality, as well, is not the same either. I had to throw that out there because someone mentioned theie buddies 3/4 ton rides like a truck. That they will, however, as you see, a 1/2 ton rides great.

Hope you enjoy it. I have enjoyed my 07 4x4 and am happy overall with its build quality and would consider another in the future, but with only 90ish thousand miles it'll be a while! One thing I'm impressed with? I live nearthe ocean and drive a lot on the beaches. Sometimes I'm a bit lazy and put off giving it a rince for a while. Also, during our occasional snow stiorm, I actually go out in them, just to drive. It'll also be parked in the local marinas for days. My point? No rust. The original exhaust is still in place even. Very happy with the lack of rust considering my envirenment. Now for the haters, yes, the frame, exhaust, and driveshaft does have the typical surface rust as expected, hoever, the body does not have any, even on the underside/backside of the panels!

Now, what I stated should only be taken with a grain of salt as well because my 07 is a totally different animal then your newer model!
I get that the 1/2 ton and 3/4 - 1 ton trucks are different. But they are only different to a point.

Some things like electrical issues, steering issues, window leaks, etc... carry over from one model to the next. The steering issues on the Ram span ALL sizes, not just one particular class so it is a design flaw, not a problem specific to one class. A quick Google search will turn up thousands of people in the 1500s, 2500s, and 3500s (both 2wd and 4wd) who are all complaining of the same issues. Some of the parts are interchangeable.

The window leak spans ALL sizes (they use the same windows), the HVAC controls span ALL sizes (they are the same) and the electrical gremlins span ALL sizes since many of the controls are the same.

Ride quality is definitely different, as it should be so no disagreement there. And I'm not trying to scare the OP, but instead make sure they are aware of things to look for to keep the truck enjoyable. When some things go unnoticed up front it can make for a miserable experience once problems are so far gone that they require expensive repairs when a little preventative maintenance can take care of the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Ride quality is definitely different, as it should be so no disagreement there. And I'm not trying to scare the OP, but instead make sure they are aware of things to look for to keep the truck enjoyable. When some things go unnoticed up front it can make for a miserable experience once problems are so far gone that they require expensive repairs when a little preventative maintenance can take care of the issue.
Between your earlier post and my research, I have read of the various issues that people have discussed on the internet. However, I generally will not over react and wait until something gives before making a repair, at which time I will try to get the repair right instead of a bandaid. Again though, across the board my research leads me to believe that GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Ford are all on the same playing field where one doesn't blow away the other with reliability. Each have their own set of quirks.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Between your earlier post and my research, I have read of the various issues that people have discussed on the internet. However, I generally will not over react and wait until something gives before making a repair, at which time I will try to get the repair right instead of a bandaid. Again though, across the board my research leads me to believe that GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Ford are all on the same playing field where one doesn't blow away the other with reliability. Each have their own set of quirks.
While you've got a plan for your truck ownership that may suit your goals, I'd still have the front end of your truck carefully inspected now for any looseness with the steering/control issues.

The stock/standard track rod is an absolutely essential component that has a very high failure rate. As I posted before, once you experience the "death wobble" in one of these trucks, you'll not want to go there again ... and it's not a case of "IF", it's a case of "WHEN" it will show up in your truck. It's a common failing on the entire range of these trucks. If it shows up when you're towing your trailer, you may be in for quite a ride and potential accident situation.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

They do.... but none have the quirks that could be potentially life threatening like the Ram. It's easily remedied if you do the preventative maintenance up front. The bigger counterparts (3/4 to 1 ton trucks) with solid axles are more prone to death wobble due to track bar issues, but the 1500 has some steering issues that are dangerous if you don't address them up front.

In most cases I'd agree with waiting until something gives before fixing it, but not if that something could potentially cause an accident, as is the case with the loose steering. Even IFS Rams have steering issues. A little bit of preventative maintenance will go a long way to ensuring you never have to deal with the problems and keep the good experience you have now going.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:56 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
They do.... but none have the quirks that could be potentially life threatening like the Ram. It's easily remedied if you do the preventative maintenance up front. The bigger counterparts (3/4 to 1 ton trucks) with solid axles are more prone to death wobble due to track bar issues, but the 1500 has some steering issues that are dangerous if you don't address them up front.

In most cases I'd agree with waiting until something gives before fixing it, but not if that something could potentially cause an accident, as is the case with the loose steering. Even IFS Rams have steering issues. A little bit of preventative maintenance will go a long way to ensuring you never have to deal with the problems and keep the good experience you have now going.
I'm definitely keeping this in mind. My problem - I am not a fixer of cars, not a DIY car person. I'll prepare your taxes (as a CPA)

My first thought would be getting a brace now, but I wouldn't know where to go and how to get it done.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:08 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:
Admittedly I am a Ford fan and have had hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles out of 7 F150s and 2 Ford Expeditions. However, that changed with my need for a diesel. I had a 2008 F250 Powerstroke that almost broke me with engine repairs. The truck already had over $15k worth of work done to it when I bought it (supposedly fixed the issues) and when the head gaskets popped a second time I spent over $2k trying to correct it before figuring out the head gaskets needed another replacement at a whopping $4k minimum ($15k if the block warped).

I decided then to go with the Cummins for reliability and to do that meant moving into a Ram. While the Ram has some serious shortcomings, with a bit of work (and not "too much" money) they can be made to be pretty reliable overall. Will they be as reliable as my Fords? Probably not. But it also didn't carry the same price tag. So I chose something that needed minor work here and there instead of something that put the vehicle out of commission for months and cost half the price of the truck to repair.
We bought a 2008 F 250 about 5 years ago. We are on the third radiator. First one blew out pulling a pass, the second, a Mishimoto developed a crack. Our third one, another Mishimoto is doing fine after 1.5 years. And, when our five year warranty runs out this August, we are going to do the EGF delete. We just had it into our mechanics because it was frequently "cleaning the exhaust". Driving along the Oregon Coast leaving plumes of black smoke is not cool. Hopefully, we not encounter more problems. It has under 100k miles. Our mechanic did an engine diagnostics which indicated engine was in great shape.

Yes, we got a lemon. But, it had low miles, tow package, Ride Rite airbags, extended cab (why do most people buy crew cab- extended are difficult to find), long bed, off road package, 4x4, diesel. We have a pop up truck camper on the back for camping and it comes in handy on the farm. We added a winch and it's good to go.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:18 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
We have several Ram pickups, all 3/4T cummins diesels & megacabs They pull loaded horse trailers at 80 down the freeways of Montana with plenty of elevation changes. They have been true workhorses for us. The older ones have high 400k miles.

That said, 2 years ago we had a several month old Ram 1Ton megacab cummins long bed...it pulled a trailer like a dream, but the drivechain one day disintegrated on interstate. It was under warranty so it was traded in for a 3/4 ton cummins.

I want to be able to punch it & have it go up a long hill in the passing lane---now.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
We bought a 2008 F 250 about 5 years ago. We are on the third radiator. First one blew out pulling a pass, the second, a Mishimoto developed a crack. Our third one, another Mishimoto is doing fine after 1.5 years. And, when our five year warranty runs out this August, we are going to do the EGF delete. We just had it into our mechanics because it was frequently "cleaning the exhaust". Driving along the Oregon Coast leaving plumes of black smoke is not cool. Hopefully, we not encounter more problems. It has under 100k miles. Our mechanic did an engine diagnostics which indicated engine was in great shape.

Yes, we got a lemon. But, it had low miles, tow package, Ride Rite airbags, extended cab (why do most people buy crew cab- extended are difficult to find), long bed, off road package, 4x4, diesel. We have a pop up truck camper on the back for camping and it comes in handy on the farm. We added a winch and it's good to go.

You didn't get a lemon.... you got an 08 F250.

The radiators are cracking for one of two reasons.

1... if the radiator isolators on the bottom are shot, it allows the radiator to crack from frame flex.
2... the cooling system is over pressurizing and blowing the side tanks.

What I would suggest is finding a mechanic who specializes in diesel trucks and has experience with the 6.0/6.4 Powerstroke and have them do a cooling system pressure test. There is a good possibility that your system is over pressurizing because of head gasket problems. The overflow reservoir coolant cap has a 15 lb spring that is supposed to open and puke coolant out if the level gets above 15psi. However, the caps were also prone to going bad and wont always release. Trust me, it's a slippery slope.

When you do the EGR delete, MAKE SURE to have ARP head studs put in, have the heads checked for flatness, and ONLY go back with a factory head gasket. Do NOT use a black onyx gasket or you will 100% do it twice.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:32 PM

857 posts, read 844,206 times
Congrats. I have an 09 Ram 1500 with the 5.7, 4wd and love that truck. I honestly wouldn't want to get anything else, other than a newer model of course!

Old 04-27-2017, 02:41 PM

417 posts, read 345,541 times
Hmm, I have the 2007 5.7L Dodge 1500 hemi I have never had problems with the Trans, I have 230K+ Miles on it, I don't have a leaky window, never had problems with the steering. But I have had issues with the electrical system. Over all I love my dodge truck I've never had any serious problems with it and I've only had minor repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive