Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:36 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
They might be willing to cover the costs up to yourvike replacement. Say the junkyard engine is going to run them $1100 and a reman $1800. They pay 11 you pay 7.

Btw I had a junkyard 350 installed in a work truck. That engine ran for 2 years and 120,000 before I sold the truck. I used to drive a average of 1k miles a week.
Thank you.. That's what I was trying to say, but butchered it beyond belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 09:21 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
My son worked at an oil change place while in college, and a tech forgot to tighten the drain plug. Same thing happened as your motor, it fried . The oil change place had their insurance pay for a new motor.

I would not roll over on this one. You took in a good running car and they screwed up. Make them put a good motor in there with a warranty. Junkyard motors are a crap shoot, so get some assurances it will be a good one. You knew how good your old motor was, but you have no history on the new one. It could be good and it could be crap.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don't let them walk over you.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How could your son not see the idiot light on for 5-6 miles? That means he's not looking at his dash watching his speed.
My son blew a head gasket, and ruined the cylinder head, by driving an overheated engine until it stopped. Kids today are just not car savy.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:16 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Never ever see a 90 day warranty as anything of value. If you put the engine in and it's bad then you have to take it out and then put another engine in again and still not know if the engine is any good. Ya, maybe they will give you another junk yard engine but you had to spend all you time putting it in and then taking it out again. Anyway you look at it it's a bad deal for the owner.
Any way I look at it, is a *good* deal for the owner.

A 160K mile "Jeep" bought for $3K is probably a bit dodgy to begin with, on general principles. Thought those had (very) high resale for some bizarre reason, despite being somewhere in Consumer Report's basement and behind the furnace in terms of build quality, ride, and general usefulness. Ergo: a newly rebuilt engine in a platform wobbly to begin with? That should have blown up on its own about sixty K miles ago? That's like a refurb motherboard in my four year old laptop I was going to sell for parts.

If the refreshed engine blows up tomorrow afternoon on Mile 1, or five years from now on Mile 225K, the guy's waaaaaay ahead of the 8-ball. He just got what my dad called "a left-handed gift from the Gods." If same happened on a $140K Porsche 911 or even $30K Toyota Camry, I'd be gravely concerned. One, at the stupidity of not changing one's own oil on the Porsche (or going to a qualified speed shop); and/or two, being faced with a very difficult conundrum on a car known for quality running to high mileage on OEM parts (the Camry, dull though it may be).

Yet another reason I take my not-too-exciting but highly reliable Tacoma X-Runner with TRD Supercharger to the local dealer I trust for oil changes: in the event of such an obvious technician error, I'm reasonably sure they'd make it right. Plus they send out coupons via flier a couple times per year making full-synth oil changes competitively priced.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:57 AM

738 posts, read 585,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Pay $5,000 for the environmental violations and spend another $10,000 to have the oil cleaned up.

No, the spent oil goes into a pan, that I decant into the empty bottles that the fresh oil came in.

I'd never dream of dumping that toxic crap on the ground.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:18 PM

797 posts, read 751,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheCreek View Post
Absolutely agree, I'm the same way. I'm a bit of a motorhead but the kid is NOT. He has no interest whatsoever. It's almost as if my kids make it a point to not be interested in something that I am. Although I will say he welded in some new floorpans in the Jeep last year and seem to enjoy the job. But he really wants nothing to do with the engine, brakes or suspension stuff. He's a strange one. But I think he now realizes the importance of paying attention to what the car is doing when driving it. I could never have NOT noticed something is wrong when that thing was losing oil, much less continue to drive it. It's funny, we have 2 sons and a daughter. The youngest isn't of driving age yet, but our daughter is not only a better driver than our son, but a lot more mechanically inclined! I've given up trying to figure that one out.
Hes not a step son is he?lol.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:21 PM

797 posts, read 751,615 times
What I would have done, when they located that engine, how much?
Have them pay you a sum with finding the engine yourself and having a reputable shop put it in for you all on their dime.
Im assuming they have to have another shop do it since most big chains only have a limited amount of tools and know how.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:47 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
I don't get this either. A double-gasketed filter would've hemorrhaged oil as soon as the tech backed the car out of the bay. They must have some real geniuses working there to not notice.
This surprises me as well since most oil-change places require their technicians have at least a masters degree in engineering.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:53 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I could see oil leaking if there was no gasket but you've got two. How could you have oil practically pouring out?
Because the gasket left behind on the engine is not retained inside the groove in the oil filter. and blows out under pressure. This is a known phenomenon.

Don in Austin

Old 04-30-2017, 08:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I had that happen with the oil filter gasket before on an 02 Explorer, I made it about 3 miles before the doubled gaskets blew out and erupted blue smoke everywhere . It didn't damage the engine because it happened just as I pulled into a gas station, but it was embarrassing though. Everytime I change the filter now I check several times to make sure that old gasket comes off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive