Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I agree that I would ask for more off than $1k, even on a certified 2015. The E350 is a popular sedan, not unlike a Honda Accord, so it's not unique to the marketplace.
If he asks for a grand off, Sales Guy will be asking him to sign poste haste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 01:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's on the high end.
Offer $35k.
Damn I was thinking more like 32.5 and go up from there.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:01 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Don't waste your time bringing up what KBB lists for pricing. Dealers do not look at KBB and don't care what prices it lists. We typically use NADA loan value to base pricing from. If it is a large dealer, in particular one that sales new cars, their listed price is probably going to be somewhere between $1500 to $2000 above NADA loan value unless they have had it on the lot over 90 days. Smaller used car dealers typically only make around $2500 per car so you aren't going to get them down very much.....maybe $500.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:08 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Don't waste your time bringing up what KBB lists for pricing. Dealers do not look at KBB and don't care what prices it lists. We typically use NADA loan value to base pricing from. If it is a large dealer, in particular one that sales new cars, their listed price is probably going to be somewhere between $1500 to $2000 above NADA loan value unless they have had it on the lot over 90 days. Smaller used car dealers typically only make around $2500 per car so you aren't going to get them down very much.....maybe $500.
I disagree... Car dealers like to "shoot for the moon" with a new car they get on the lot, especially popular ones. They'll routinely price it $2-3k above where they really need to be, hoping that someone will come in right away and buy it. If it sits on the lot for 30 days or so, they'll slash the price by that $2-3k, advertise it as a sale, when in reality, that's the baseline for negotiation that they always figured on anyway.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:09 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
If he asks for a grand off, Sales Guy will be asking him to sign poste haste.
So true! And, the 2015 is a generation old, so the price should be falling as the 2017s have been out for several months. Compared with the redesigned E-Class, I'd push to get the price down a bit more, if I were looking at the vehicle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-04-2017, 07:43 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Anyone know how much wiggle room there might be on a 2015 loaded E350 with 23,000 miles listed at $38,888.

Do you think the dealer would come down a $1000?
That price seems really high to me. Just a quick search on autotrader shows 74 2015 E350's with less than 30K miles on them for under $35K. Seems to me you could get one for $32,500 or so...

For close to $40K you should be able to get a performance model (E550, BMW 550, etc.) as opposed to a basic Benz.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
Sorry guys, I should have said that I live in southern California, and prices are substantially higher here. I offered the dealers (there are three of them near me that have a car I'm interested in) $1000 less than asking, and all three said no.

And let me walk. Maybe I'll just wait a few months until the new cars come out.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Sorry guys, I should have said that I live in southern California, and prices are substantially higher here. I offered the dealers (there are three of them near me that have a car I'm interested in) $1000 less than asking, and all three said no.

And let me walk. Maybe I'll just wait a few months until the new cars come out.
So why don't you buy one somewhere else and ship it in? I bought two cars recently (one from 1200 miles away and the other 700 miles away) due to my local dealers not having what I wanted and/or the price being too high.

(Or fly there and drive it home yourself....)

If you saved $5K on the car and paid $1K shipping you're still far better off....

Old 05-05-2017, 05:09 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
So why don't you buy one somewhere else and ship it in? I bought two cars recently (one from 1200 miles away and the other 700 miles away) due to my local dealers not having what I wanted and/or the price being too high.

(Or fly there and drive it home yourself....)

If you saved $5K on the car and paid $1K shipping you're still far better off....
Just only buy from a Mercedes dealer with a CPO.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:19 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I disagree... Car dealers like to "shoot for the moon" with a new car they get on the lot, especially popular ones. They'll routinely price it $2-3k above where they really need to be, hoping that someone will come in right away and buy it. If it sits on the lot for 30 days or so, they'll slash the price by that $2-3k, advertise it as a sale, when in reality, that's the baseline for negotiation that they always figured on anyway.
You disagree but then you state basically the exact same thing I did? lol

I said the big dealers typically price them $1500 to $2000 above NADA loan value which is accurate. You said $2 -3k which is a little high but they do sometimes go $3000 above at first on really popular models to see if they can get it. $1500 to $3000 is typical though. As I mentioned, you can typically buy a car for NADA loan value because dealers know, most buyers are financing and the bank is going to tell them all they will loan on the car is the NADA loan value regardless of what the dealer is asking and most aren't willing to pony up any cash to put with it.

How long a car has been on their lot makes a big difference in if and how much they will negotiate. If I have a car that I know typically sells quickly and it has only been up for sale for a week, you would be lucky to get me down $200. If it has been on the lot for 2 months, you might could get me down to somewhere between $500 to $1000 above what I have in it. If it has been around for 3 months, it is time for it to get gone but I will take it to the auction before I will give it away.

Rarely are you going to walk in the door, offer $1000 below what they are asking and them actually accept the offer. If they do, they were at the point where they were about to drop the price to try to move it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive