Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times

Advertisements

You do have a problem and even though ozone generator will remove smells from anything it will not work if the problem such as mice and heavy mold are still present.

I would remove all fabric from the interior and remove the dash. Then scrub the interior down using something a little stronger than what you have been using a be sure to put on a mask and wear gloves. Kitchen gloves work good. You will probably neeed to steam clean the engine too. A commercial public wash may do but be aware to keep it away from the distributor. Water in there will be tough to get rid of but you can cover it with a cloth and stay waway from it with you sprayer.

Use the ozone machine next if the smell hasn't been elimiated. When you use the machine it will then be able to do its job because the heavy stuff will be gone and the good ozonators have a timer in case you use it indoors such as drapes that have smoke smell, etc. A condensed amount of ozone is not good for humans but as soon as it is turned off oxygen replaces the ozone.

i think you do not have a big problem just one that may require you to spend more time on it than you once thought.

I once had a body shop and we often bought autos and old trucks that were in fields or barns that had mold or varmet odors. We did what I am telling you to do and when we processed the vehicle as I am saying for you to do the problem odor always disappeared.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 01:11 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
I can't believe nobody suggested the obvious

"bathe"

Old 10-23-2009, 03:26 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post

"bathe"
I agree... bad smell comes from filth somewhere. All of the suggestions may neutralize this and that but none take care of the original problem.

If one of you had a dead rat under your couch cushion would you just spray it until it stops smelling or would you remove it and clean the affected area?

Old 10-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post

"bathe"

Ah hahahahaha....Butt why?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Thanx I will have to find some of that. I already tried frebreeze and it's temporary.
If you try solutions that mask the problem such as Fabreeze the problem will not go away and if it is a varmit it can be kinda dangerous to you because the droppings of varmits are unhealthy to humans.

FYI
Both mice and rats can carry a number of diseases that are transmittable to humans, such as hantavirus and salmonellosis.

Using bleach
Here is something I found on a home makers site and it makes sense because you need to eliminate the ordor by killing it at the sources. Do not mix another solution with bleach if you use the bleach method. If you use a heavy amount of bleach please be sure to air out the area to eliminate the bleach smell. It is best to use it outdoors.
It is very important to clean the entire area with a mild bleach solution. You may need to do it several times just to be sure and I have recently discovered the best way is to us a spray bottle with about 50/50 bleach to water. The Center for Disease Control says use 1 part bleach to 10 parts water but I want the order and any traces away forever so I use 1 part bleach to 1 part water if applied directly with a mop or cloth. ......RUBBER GLOVES AND A FACE MASK are a MUST...

If anyone comes into contact with mouse or rat droppings I believe it is better to be safe and wash yourself or the parts that came in contact with the droppings outdoors, and to see a doctor if ever bitten by a rat.

Cleaning Up after Rodents | CDC Rodent Control

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive