Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:32 AM

187 posts, read 206,219 times

Advertisements

Anecdotal observation, but in the Bay Area (CA) everyone I know is choosing either Ford or Dodge if planning to tow/haul anything (5th wheels mostly). The Chevys I see are typically used for low riders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 11:21 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Chevy just reeks of desperation! They try to glam up their trucks with chrome to look like a Ford, but they are still nothing but a highly polished turd.

I'll gladly keep my Ram. If I had to, I'd look at an F-series next, although I've had buddies with the mysterious engine miss at 65mph that Ford can't explain.

I can't ever see myself looking at buying a Chevy truck. Just can't do that to my wallet.
You will when you take my recycled beer can into an automated car wash and it tear the antenna and peel the front right fender open like a soup can....
Seems to be a very common problem down here...

And if you are in the rust belt... Guess you've never seen the tailgate of an expedition turn to powder...

Even with the aluminum body, the ford's weigh more. But I give credit where it's due, it's in the frame.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:45 AM

They claim military grade aluminum... I know military grade hummers had MUCH thicker gauge body panels than these ford's have...

Old 05-07-2017, 03:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Ram I gave a fair chance... but back in NY the bodies still cancered out 3-5 seasons of winter and road salt even when thoroughly washing...
If this is true, please explain to me how my Dodge Journey and now my Dodge Durango have survived winter just fine. I also live in Upstate NY...about an hour from Syracuse - the snow capitol of the country. Do my Dodge's have magic paint that's not applied to the trucks?

Old 05-07-2017, 05:22 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
You will when you take my recycled beer can into an automated car wash and it tear the antenna and peel the front right fender open like a soup can....
Seems to be a very common problem down here...

And if you are in the rust belt... Guess you've never seen the tailgate of an expedition turn to powder...

Even with the aluminum body, the ford's weigh more. But I give credit where it's due, it's in the frame.
It's not just the frame, it's the whole chassis. Ford just builds their trucks to a little higher standard when it comes to frames, axles, control arms, stabilizer bars, you name it. GM isn't far behind and that's why Ford and GM's trucks last longer, don't develop squeaks and rattles as often, etc.

Dodge used to be VERY far behind in their build standards (including the cabs - especially the interiors) but they have come a long way. They aren't too far behind GM anymore.

Toyota and Nissan are just pretenders and the sales numbers reflect that. Their "top hats" or cabs are more competitive with everything else but their chassis quality is still miles apart from Ford, GM and even Dodge now. If you were able to see torn down trucks from all five of these brands and laid every single piece side-by-side people would understand why the sales numbers are what they are. (And yes, I have seen that done and spent a lot of time reviewing it.)

Old 05-07-2017, 06:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
A friend who is an engeer for Gm explained to meTheir design ideas are awesome, it is when you put them together you find out they do nto really go together all that well. Then they chisle the suppliers even harder than the other Automakers do so they get really cheap parts with lots of corner cutting.

He claimed RAM could reasily be the best truck with no competition, but thankfully for him, they just cannot get their act together.

I was frequnetly told by construciotn industry company owners Ford is the work horse. If you study the numbers they are the least expensive factoring in repairs, losses, purchase price, maintainence, etc. Chevys are the managment truck. Tough enough for the job site, but just a little more classy. Toyota and Honda are for soccer moms and RAM is for kids and weekend warriors.

The company I work for just ordered 15 Canyons. It will be interesting to see how they work out. They are very popular with the workers, everyone seems to want to get on the list to get one.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If this is true, please explain to me how my Dodge Journey and now my Dodge Durango have survived winter just fine. I also live in Upstate NY...about an hour from Syracuse - the snow capitol of the country. Do my Dodge's have magic paint that's not applied to the trucks?
Are either of them rams?

Didn't think so.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:58 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Chevy are nice trucks.
Dodge are nice trucks.
GMC are nice trucks.
Ford are nice trucks.

Chevy are POS.
Dodge are POS.
GMC are POS.
Ford are POS.

Just depends where you get your info from. And I've seen all of the above. From my research, overall all are on the same playing field.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Just depends where you get your info from. And I've seen all of the above. From my research, overall all are on the same playing field.

Another thing is eras. For a given make, a period of several years may have been especially good or bad.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Are either of them rams?

Didn't think so.
They're made from the same parts! Especially the Durango.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive