Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 10:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of 'useless' trucks in Albuquerque. It is just a status/cultural symbol for some. While I accept that, I do have to shake my head when I see a truck that is a few years old and has some miles on it but the bed is pristine.

I have a truck but I pick stuff up. The last thing was a half ton of gravel for some landscaping.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
I have a few good reasons why people drive pickup trucks and it's nothing to do with the size of their... whatever. Lots of women drive trucks too. Well, at least where I live.

Trucks became popular when cars started to be underpowered, front wheel drive junk. Granted, the cars have gotten a lot better over the years, and really so have the trucks. But for many years, trucks filled a void that had been left by the auto manufacturers. Just think... GM made cars in the 1970's that could tow more than some modern day pickups.

Some people need the utility of a truck. For a long time, I owned a large pickup because it made sense. The price was right, I owned a house (owning a house without a pickup really sucks unless you're able to pay for all repairs and lawn service on your own) that needed some work, so having an eight foot bed for drywall, doors, and windows (old and new... try making a dump run in an Accord) was a good thing. It made winter driving easier with the four wheel drive, and being it was a diesel, I was knocking down 21 MPG on the freeway.

So, was I compensating for something? You tell me... during the spring, summer, and early fall, I rode my bicycle to work every day. In fact, when I was done with the home renovations, my wife started prodding me to sell the truck because it sat in the driveway most of the time and it was worth $37k when I could have my needs met with a $5k beater. So I got rid of it and bought a cheaper pickup. It sat in the driveway just the same, it hauled the lawn clippings to the recycling bin (I used to mow all of my neighbors lawns and we lived on large lots).

Anyhow, it's not about looking any part. Again, I think anyone who owns a home should also have a pickup, even if it's an old Toyota or Ford Ranger that doesn't get regular use.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:27 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,867 times
Nobody NEEDS a Mercedes either. You buy what you like.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:28 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am not following the basis for these statements. Trucks get better mileage than they used to. So while some trucks are bigger these days, it does not make them use more gasoline.

Trucks take up exactly 1 parking space. A Chevy Spark also takes up 1 parking space. How does the size of the truck int he space make any difference? You can say some trucks improperly take two spaces, but then some sparks do too.

What shortcoming do you think people are trying to make up for? I have heard that as kind of a silly slight from jealous people who wish they had a truck, but never anything real.

Overall this thread seems laughably judgmental and self centered. If we do nto meet certian posters particular standards for "needing" a truck then we are wasting money, being stupid or trying to make up for a mystery "something."

What constitutes "needing" a truck? An avid DIYer does not "need" a truck. You can still do the same thing with a minivan, or even a small vehicle. I have seen a Chevy Spark with sheets of plywood tied on top. They get much better mileage than any truck.

Is one use sufficient to justify "need?" If I "need" a bigger truck once a year to pull out bushes or small trees while doing volunteer work at schools or other public locations, does that count as "need?" What if I just happen to enjoy pulling stuck people out of the ditches and medians?

What about carrying dirt, rocks, firewood, brush, bicycles (for camping) trees (for planting), long tools, atlatl darts, lumber, high school or church people in a parade, camping gear, teenagers (off road), water, canoe and/or kayaks, mattresses or large furniture, for people who are moving, a generator, giant dog crates, hay or straw bales for targets or barriers.. . . How many such things do I need to carry before being a legitimate truck owner to the posters who hate truck owners? All of this stuff can be transported in another way wither with smaller vehicles, a trailer, renting a truck, or getting it delivered. I guess there is no need" for a truck for anyone except a commercial user.

What if I have a big family and haul huge amounts of groceries from Costco? Is that equal to an occasional DIYer for truck legitmacy?

Do I have to haul a dead animal and tow a giant camper or boat to be a legitimate truck user in your eyes?

What if someone just hangs out with truck people and a truck actually does make them look cool? Is that acceptable reason? If not then are you opposed to Corvettes? Luxury Sports sedans?

Is it OK with you folks if a soccer mom buys a truck so she can carry the team gear along with part of the team, or does she have to get a van?

Wow. Rant much?

What crawled up your butt and died?

Old 05-09-2017, 12:56 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am not following the basis for these statements. Trucks get better mileage than they used to. So while some trucks are bigger these days, it does not make them use more gasoline.

Trucks take up exactly 1 parking space. A Chevy Spark also takes up 1 parking space. How does the size of the truck int he space make any difference? You can say some trucks improperly take two spaces, but then some sparks do too.

What shortcoming do you think people are trying to make up for? I have heard that as kind of a silly slight from jealous people who wish they had a truck, but never anything real.

Overall this thread seems laughably judgmental and self centered. If we do nto meet certian posters particular standards for "needing" a truck then we are wasting money, being stupid or trying to make up for a mystery "something."

What constitutes "needing" a truck? An avid DIYer does not "need" a truck. You can still do the same thing with a minivan, or even a small vehicle. I have seen a Chevy Spark with sheets of plywood tied on top. They get much better mileage than any truck.

Is one use sufficient to justify "need?" If I "need" a bigger truck once a year to pull out bushes or small trees while doing volunteer work at schools or other public locations, does that count as "need?" What if I just happen to enjoy pulling stuck people out of the ditches and medians?

What about carrying dirt, rocks, firewood, brush, bicycles (for camping) trees (for planting), long tools, atlatl darts, lumber, high school or church people in a parade, camping gear, teenagers (off road), water, canoe and/or kayaks, mattresses or large furniture, for people who are moving, a generator, giant dog crates, hay or straw bales for targets or barriers.. . . How many such things do I need to carry before being a legitimate truck owner to the posters who hate truck owners? All of this stuff can be transported in another way wither with smaller vehicles, a trailer, renting a truck, or getting it delivered. I guess there is no need" for a truck for anyone except a commercial user.

What if I have a big family and haul huge amounts of groceries from Costco? Is that equal to an occasional DIYer for truck legitmacy?

Do I have to haul a dead animal and tow a giant camper or boat to be a legitimate truck user in your eyes?

What if someone just hangs out with truck people and a truck actually does make them look cool? Is that acceptable reason? If not then are you opposed to Corvettes? Luxury Sports sedans?

Is it OK with you folks if a soccer mom buys a truck so she can carry the team gear along with part of the team, or does she have to get a van?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Wow. Rant much?

What crawled up your butt and died?
Coldjensens - Don't take this discussion personal. If you don't think perception exists within the human mind then you are naive. Maybe in very recent years trucks are becoming more "mainstream" as I am seeing both genders and all ages driving them. Not too many years back I looked "down" on pickups wondering why I would ever need or want one, even though with a camping trailer I had a need, but I purposefully bought a camper light enough for a Class 1 hitch so no truck was a requirement. Trucks have been looked at differently by the majority, as some sort of hard-working vehicle and not a daily driver. It's changing, but that perception still exists, thus this discussion.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
Pissing truck-haters off is just one more reason to drive a truck, isn't it?

Old 05-09-2017, 02:28 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I had two pickups until last November when my youngest son had an oak tree jump out in front of him. But before that one of the more annoying town residents came by the house one day and saw both of them and very obnoxiously asked me why I had both and opined abut my environmental morality (on his best day the guy is one of the biggest dicks I've ever known).

It wasn't two weeks later he asked if I could haul something. Unfortunately both trucks were busy that day and for the foreseeable future.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:49 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
They just need to start making small trucks with a 450hp V8 . All i see is big lifted tanks hank.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:40 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I'll take a full frame V8 rear wheel drive into a head on with a drunk in an econobox any day of the week. I'd rather clobber a deer and replace a headlamp than to total out a car.

Wanna really see butt hurt...
Park a diesel in the kohl's parking lot where they recharge hybrids
Oh that one works like a charm!

No minivans allowed. Ever. If I ever spawn minions, they'll be in the back seat of a truck, or a Tahoe. If not, Cadillac Fleetwood brougham.

I would want them in something crash worthy, and a 48 Packard is hard to come by.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:44 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They just need to start making small trucks with a 450hp V8 . All i see is big lifted tanks hank.
LOL

They aren't hard to build... nor astronomically expensive to build, especially if you know how a carburetor and distributor work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive