Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 06:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
It's what he wanted... I'm not him. Can't answer that. But the axles can handle it. The first driveshaft he launched was from doing a burnout and started rolling and upshifted into 2nd... The other 3 were from towing too heavy. The vibration going down the road was the lug holes expanding the alloy factory wheels were not meant to handle that kid of weight. I couldn't imagine trying to stop that weight of a hefty trailer and a skidsteer without trailer brakes... Probably take 2 miles to get from 30 to a stop.

In his case he should have gone with a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel... loves that truck though.

I've been in 450s that were lifted that had 22.5s. Didn't ride any differently than 19.5s. 450s unloaded ride like hell with 19.5s, when ford made the 450 platinum and king ranches with the 350 Alcoa 17s they rode some what better. They did this so you were not limited to 85 or 90mph... so I've been told...
Your buddy doesn't sound like a very smart person

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
Why is it expensive? They're not that expensive. People spend $80,000 on a luxury sedan. Spending $25,000 on a big truck is nothing. It's probably cheaper to buy a truck nowadays if anything.
25k? Maybe a used one. My LX F150 was 34k sticker new

Old 05-07-2017, 06:55 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,235,613 times
Until a month ago, I never owned a truck. For 40 years it's been cars. And honestly I used to not like trucks, and for no reason whatsoever. They never interested me, nor did I ever look at them and like the looks. I guess things change with age?

I've had 2 4x8 utility trailers over the years to tow behind my car. I've helped family mover several times, take the lawn tractor for repair, etc. In 2011 I purchased a small camping trailer. I towed it behind my Chrysler 300C AWD Hemi. A month ago it was time to move on from my dying 300. Haven't camped in 2 years due to unreliability (lots of tows, blew through 2 transfer cases). My trailer is less the 2,000lbs, so a car would suffice. But I've wanted to take my mopeds camping and never could. Until now.

I went from this:

To this:

Loving my new to me 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Hemi 4x4. 28k miles off of a lease. And this week I will be hauling my son's grass he ripped up to put in a new lawn. No sooner do I get the truck then someone wants it used for it's intended purpose.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,238,746 times
Personally, i have just always loved trucks.I used to have a F-150 but I would like a heavy duty diesel pickup someday like maybe a F-350 or chevy 3500 HD but thats just me.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,458,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Your buddy doesn't sound like a very smart person

25k? Maybe a used one. My LX F150 was 34k sticker new
Wait til they hear what a new platinum or king ranch 450 fetches...

92k on the window sticker with every option before tax tags and dealer fees.
350 dually crew cab king ranch and platinums are around 70...

Old 05-07-2017, 08:07 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,327,792 times
I got three trucks, and a company truck

Old 05-07-2017, 08:23 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,150,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?
I bought a 2005 Tundra last year....I have put 20k on it....and of that I have towed my 21' travel trailer 9,000 over the western US. I am guessing I am in the minority of using my truck for truck things.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,130,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Weight placed inside the truck does not affect the "towing weight" as specified by the other poster. Weight placed inside the truck affects the LOAD carrying. You might be assuming that the 10-25% or trailer weight equals tongue weight and it doesn't in ALL cases. Many small trailers with very high tongue weight and many larger trailer with lower tongues weights.And yes, smaller trucks like the Colorado cannot carry as much as a 1/2-1 ton pickup; most people can figure that out just by looking at them....
I was looking at it as both GVWR and CGWR, as both are affected by weight added inside the truck.

GVWR: Bumper pull campers usually carry 10-15% as hitch weight, and not having that percentage on the tongue will usually make it unstable. 5th wheels usually are in the 20-25% range. That'll eliminate a lot of trucks as tow vehicles, even 3/4-ton and SRW 1-tons, but it's the 1/2-ton drivers that are most often surprised that their new truck won't hall even a small 5th wheel camper. It might "tow" that much, but when you gotta load 20-25% of the weight onto the truck's rear axle, the truck's not enough.

CGWR: Naturally, anything that goes into either the truck or the trailer counts against this maximum combined weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Actually. You can get some big trailers (space wise) because a lot of trailers are now ultralights. They use a lot of aluminum.

Can you show me what 1/2 ton can tow 8 tons? Because that's over my 1 ton diesel GVWR tow rating.
No. Because there aren't any. My mistake.

I saw 16,000 pounds listed under the "maximum loaded trailer weight" category, but failed to notice it was CGWR. I do, however, see GCWRs up to 17,100 with maximum trailer weights reaching 12,200 (standard cab 3.5L EcoBoost V6). That's still 6 tons! The Big Three are making their pickups more capable constantly. Today's trucks aren't what they were 10-20 years ago.
2017 Ford® F-150 XL Truck | Model Highlights | Ford.com

Why anyone would buy a 1/2-ton for that kind of job is a bit of a mystery, but I'd imagine it's usually those who already own the truck and then find themselves wanting to haul that kind of trailer. I saw an awfully lot of that when I was a regular poster on an RV board. Guys would buy a truck, trusting a salesman who told them, "That baby will haul anything you hitch to it." Then they'd go camper shopping and the truth would start to emerge. OR, they'd buy a truck for the camper they had or wanted, but then decide they wanted a 5th wheel instead of a bumper pull, or move from a smaller 5er to a bigger one and find themselves with too little truck.

I always suggest to new RVers looking for a new truck to buy more than they need, because the time will usually come when they upgrade campers and NEED a bigger truck. It doesn't cost a lot more to buy bigger the first time, but when you gotta trade trucks to do it, it can be spendy. I know that from personal experience!

Old 05-07-2017, 09:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Quote:
Wait til they hear what a new platinum or king ranch 450 fetches...

92k on the window sticker with every option before tax tags and dealer fees.
350 dually crew cab king ranch and platinums are around 70...
Yeah. On a whim I priced out a loaded F350 and F450 mid 80s on sticker. I'm sticking to my 7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I was looking at it as both GVWR and CGWR, as both are affected by weight added inside the truck.

GVWR: Bumper pull campers usually carry 10-15% as hitch weight, and not having that percentage on the tongue will usually make it unstable. 5th wheels usually are in the 20-25% range. That'll eliminate a lot of trucks as tow vehicles, even 3/4-ton and SRW 1-tons, but it's the 1/2-ton drivers that are most often surprised that their new truck won't hall even a small 5th wheel camper. It might "tow" that much, but when you gotta load 20-25% of the weight onto the truck's rear axle, the truck's not enough.

CGWR: Naturally, anything that goes into either the truck or the trailer counts against this maximum combined weight.

No. Because there aren't any. My mistake.

I saw 16,000 pounds listed under the "maximum loaded trailer weight" category, but failed to notice it was CGWR. I do, however, see GCWRs up to 17,100 with maximum trailer weights reaching 12,200 (standard cab 3.5L EcoBoost V6). That's still 6 tons! The Big Three are making their pickups more capable constantly. Today's trucks aren't what they were 10-20 years ago.
2017 Ford® F-150 XL Truck | Model Highlights | Ford.com

Why anyone would buy a 1/2-ton for that kind of job is a bit of a mystery, but I'd imagine it's usually those who already own the truck and then find themselves wanting to haul that kind of trailer. I saw an awfully lot of that when I was a regular poster on an RV board. Guys would buy a truck, trusting a salesman who told them, "That baby will haul anything you hitch to it." Then they'd go camper shopping and the truth would start to emerge. OR, they'd buy a truck for the camper they had or wanted, but then decide they wanted a 5th wheel instead of a bumper pull, or move from a smaller 5er to a bigger one and find themselves with too little truck.

I always suggest to new RVers looking for a new truck to buy more than they need, because the time will usually come when they upgrade campers and NEED a bigger truck. It doesn't cost a lot more to buy bigger the first time, but when you gotta trade trucks to do it, it can be spendy. I know that from personal experience!
Yeah for a second I thought holy **** I can't believe 1/2 tons can tow that much now.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,617,896 times
Quote:
I love a 67-72 shortbed stepside.
73-87 short bed or short bed stepsides in a C10 long box K20s.
Especially love a C30 crew cab dually slammed on the ground.
An early 50s would be awesome. A 46/47 with safari windshields would be the best!
when i was growing up we had a 67 chevy short bed truck, it was a wide bed though. i no wish i had the money to keep that truck back when my dad was selling it. i would love to have that truck today, especially with an LS3 and a 4L80 trans, and lowered on airbags.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,671,558 times
Out here in our neck of the woods, go down to the big parking lots and you will find 3/4ths of the vehicles will be medium to large SUV and Pickup vehicles. And very often a lot of those car type, will have out of state licenses driven by tourists passing through the area.

We have a Explorer Limited fully loaded, and a F-150 Pickup. We live on a 5 acre property with lots of landscape trees, etc., and we have to haul our trash to the dump. Pickup is used for the dump runs, bring things home for the grounds, and if we buy something that needs brought home from stores as you don't get delivery 50 miles away from the major stores. The Explorer is a great driving vehicle, that we can go anywhere when the weather turns bad. Just dial the road conditions into the transmission, and it drives like on dry pavement.

Don't think we are cheap preferring SUV and pickups in place of cars. They are not cheep, and use a gallon of gas for every 20 miles of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive