Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 08:17 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,820,398 times

Advertisements

Since I bought it, I've noticed a minor issue with my Toyota Avalon. I have few different 12V to USB chargers for my phones and such. None of them want to stay plugged in. It doesn't matter if I use the charging point in the center console or the two up front in the cubby with the USB port. Every time I plug my phone in - I don't hear the audible notification that it's charging. So, I check and find that the charger has backed out of the socket. I push it back in and I am good to go for an indeterminate amount of time until it works its way out again. At times, I'll be driving along and notice the phone isn't charging again and reseat it again. It's a minor, but constant inconvenience.

I use the same exact model chargers in my other car (Honda) and my company vehicle (Ford) and do not experience this issue.

It appears that an easy solution could be to buy a charger with the metal tabs that can be bent outward to make it fit very tightly in the socket. Since I have a Samsung phone, I prefer to use the OEM charger so it will fast charge. The problem is that it has "buttons" on the side instead of those bendable metal tabs.

https://www.amazon.com/OEM-Samsung-E.../dp/B01CGTCS9I

I have a few generic chargers that were fast-charge compatible but they are of similar design to the Samsung charger and thus have the same issue.

Some quick Googling has given me some low-tech solutions such as wrapping a piece of double sided tape around the charger above the contact points to help hold it in place. Before I do that, I figured I'd bounce it off the forum for some other solutions.

My wife and I went on a trip and her phone didn't charge, and of course - it was my fault.

So, my reason for wanting a fix should be crystal clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
It's not difficult to just add a USB socket to your car. Especially for a hw tech guy heh. Can tap one of those power sockets or just run an add-a-fuse for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CT...aWL&ref=plSrch

Old 05-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It's not difficult to just add a USB socket to your car. Especially for a hw tech guy heh. Can tap one of those power sockets or just run an add-a-fuse for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CT...aWL&ref=plSrch
Thanks for the reply, but there is already a USB socket in the car. I can't use it to charge the phone because my Galaxy S7 Edge draws too much power. I get an error message on the head unit display indicative of that and it kills the power to port. The only thing I can charge with that port is my Bluetooth earpiece that I use when I am not in the car.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
That's likely connected to the head unit and not giving you a 2.1a charge like one of those would.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,527 times
if you are talking about plugs that go into the cigarette lighter receptacle ... I have had several cars, usually European, that didn't hold plugs very well, whether they were USB cigarette lighter plugs or radar detector cigarette lighter plugs or something similar.

Usually a shim (like a strip of folded up paper {like an accordion} to create a tighter fit) next to the plug, and slid into the socket at the same time you insert the plug into the socket, helps.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That's likely connected to the head unit and not giving you a 2.1a charge like one of those would.
Got it. I'll look into that solution as I think I have a blank switch position in the dash where that could fit. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
if you are talking about plugs that go into the cigarette lighter receptacle ... I have had several cars, usually European, that didn't hold plugs very well, whether they were USB cigarette lighter plugs or radar detector cigarette lighter plugs or something similar.

Usually a shim (like a strip of folded up paper {like an accordion} to create a tighter fit) next to the plug, and slid into the socket at the same time you insert the plug into the socket, helps.
Good idea. That might work for the time being. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive