Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Sometimes people just need to have that name brand luxury item to hold up their image no matter what.

I drive a 2003 Honda Civic with 166,000 miles on it and use a pre-paid cell phone.
All that says to me is that you don't like cars. Not that you're some super-savvy frugal dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 04:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Too be honest I don't even know if my vehicles have the dealer's frames or not. If it holds the license plate in place I ain't changing it.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
All that says to me is that you don't like cars. Not that you're some super-savvy frugal dude.
It also tells me he ain't 6'2".

Old 05-11-2017, 05:00 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Perhaps it's a clause in the contract, especially as many sub-prime car loan stores include computer controls to disable the car should a payment not be made. It could be an identifier for the repo man, should the payments not be made and the asset is disabled, until the loan is paid. I've never seen a contract from such a dealer, but it would not surprise me if that were the case.

For me, I usually have a frame made for the brand (not with brand badging), save for two dealers that has been dealing with generations of my family, Volvo and Mercedes. However, some states have issues with the larger frames, like New York, so I have a slim frame.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-11-2017, 06:30 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Around my way, we have several dealerships that cater to those with less than stellar credit. Typically one can buy a so called luxury vehicle with 80,000+ miles on it, for obviously an attractive price. However, for the life of me I don't know how people can still drive around town with their "new" Cadillac's, BMW's, and Lincoln's with the auto dealership license plate frame that just screams "I really don't have two cents to rub together and my credit is smashed" Auto Store. Like I said, nothing wrong with purchasing a vehicle there, but probably a frame I would quickly remove.

You are giving certain persons far too much credit.

It is the optics these people are after; that is being seen driving a "luxury" vehicle. In their world/communities the stigma attached to whatever dealership isn't that great of a thing to live down. Fact is they have a "sweet" ride is of far greater importance as it ups their street cred.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:59 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
A lot of these dealers will run their ads on the Jerry Springer show, the worst one in my area is get your posterior to superior it does not get any more ghetto than that.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Around my way, we have several dealerships that cater to those with less than stellar credit. Typically one can buy a so called luxury vehicle with 80,000+ miles on it, for obviously an attractive price. However, for the life of me I don't know how people can still drive around town with their "new" Cadillac's, BMW's, and Lincoln's with the auto dealership license plate frame that just screams "I really don't have two cents to rub together and my credit is smashed" Auto Store. Like I said, nothing wrong with purchasing a vehicle there, but probably a frame I would quickly remove.
Maybe you should move.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
This tread brought to mind something else I've been seeing owners of late model premium/luxury cars in my city doing.

I live in a "two plate" State (i.e., a front license plate is required by law, in addition to the rear). I've been noticing a lot of these late model high-end cars without a license plate mounted on the front. Also, I've noticed in a number of cases the owners of these very expensive cars just throw the front license plate on top of the dash, so it can be seen when you look in the windshield. I guess it's an attempt to try to comply with the law (even though technically it doesn't) and avoid a traffic stop, or get them out of a ticket if they do get stopped, while still maintaining a clean and unmolested front fascia.

Every vehicle I've bought over the years had a front license plate bracket already on it, and usually a dealer's frame with their vanity logo plate mounted on there. When I would go back to get the permanent plates, they would mount the front one without asking. But then, I've never bought a high-end brand. I don't know how all these buyers of high-end and exotic cars are getting them without even a front mounting provision. They must be specifically requesting a car with no front plate mount, and I suppose the dealers are complicit.

Personally, I think the dashboard plate looks tacky and "ghetto". Probably because traditionally it's something owners of "beaters" would do when they ripped the front plate off on a high parking stop, or it got knocked off in a minor frontal collision, or something like that. Plus, a piece of thin metal sitting loose up there could become a dangerous projectile in a collision, or even an evasive maneuver.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
This tread brought to mind something else I've been seeing owners of late model premium/luxury cars in my city doing.

I live in a "two plate" State (i.e., a front license plate is required by law, in addition to the rear). I've been noticing a lot of these late model high-end cars without a license plate mounted on the front. Also, I've noticed in a number of cases the owners of these very expensive cars just throw the front license plate on top of the dash, so it can be seen when you look in the windshield. I guess it's an attempt to try to comply with the law (even though technically it doesn't) and avoid a traffic stop, or get them out of a ticket if they do get stopped, while still maintaining a clean and unmolested front fascia.

Every vehicle I've bought over the years had a front license plate bracket already on it, and usually a dealer's frame with their vanity logo plate mounted on there. When I would go back to get the permanent plates, they would mount the front one without asking. But then, I've never bought a high-end brand. I don't know how all these buyers of high-end and exotic cars are getting them without even a front mounting provision. They must be specifically requesting a car with no front plate mount, and I suppose the dealers are complicit.

Personally, I think the dashboard plate looks tacky and "ghetto". Probably because traditionally it's something owners of "beaters" would do when they ripped the front plate off on a high parking stop, or it got knocked off in a minor frontal collision, or something like that. Plus, a piece of thin metal sitting loose up there could become a dangerous projectile in a collision, or even an evasive maneuver.
Nope. Nobody is REQUESTING the dealer not do it. The dealer just doesn't do it.

I live in a 2 plate state and nobody puts a front plate on their really nice high-end car. Nor do they put the plate on their dashboard. Most police officers have better things to do with their time. I am friends with many cops and they flatly state they do not care.

If I am stopped and asked to pay a fine for not having a front plate ruining the beautiful lines of my $120,000 car, I will gladly pay the $200 fine and get on with my day. I will not argue. I will pay quietly and without complaint. Because I am in violation.

That is the sentiment my friends and neighbors have, as well.

I also have an SUV. Both plates are on.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:28 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Being responsible means that you don't go into debt for things that you don't need. Most of us don't need a high end car. Being responsible has nothing to do with being cheap.

And bragging about being "responsible" is what I'm talking about. It's about the love of money (hoarding it) and it's ridiculous. It comes off as "holier than thou," and I'm going to call you on that attitude every time.

Debt itself isn't bad, if used properly. If I want to buy a high end car, it has nothing to do with not being responsible, and everything to do with doing what I want with my money.

Besides, my "luxury" car probably cost less than his smugmobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive