Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM

29 posts, read 21,995 times

Advertisements

How about these tires?

Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia

Size 225/70R 16

Costco has these on their bi-monthly sale for $70 off and free installation

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2FL+422+Ecopia

Or should I stick with Michelin or Pirelli or General or Cooper

Thank you kind people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I've found, over five decades of asking, that automotive experts who I trust, recommend Michelins most often. I've used many sets of them and can't recall ever being disappointed for any reason. I need a set right now for my Prius, and it came down to Michelin or Pirelli, and I've decided to go with Pirelli. It's been several years since I've had them, but the ones I had (v-rated highway for a couple high-performance cars) seemed a step above others. How much of that was "placebo effect" I don't know, but I just wanted something different.

It sorta came down to price. A $70 rebate on the Michelins I was considering (Defender H/Ts) ends this week, and I was going to buy them from the Toyota dealer today, but when I called yesterday they couldn't get them until tomorrow. (Toyota dealer is 110 miles away, and I don't want to go back just for that again this week, as I make that trip twice/thrice monthly.) Since I can't get the rebate from them, I'm having Walmart order a set of Pirelli P4s.

Walmart is much cheaper, like 20% or so. $470 installed, balanced, etc. with road hazard coverage. I'm not crazy about buying them from Walmart, but they're so much cheaper there! And when I had a flat a couple weeks ago and wanted to get the tire fixed on a Sunday... guess where I took it. To the only place in this town of 32K that was open for tire repairs -- Walmart! So I'm gonna try 'em. Planning to order them tomorrow.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:06 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Michelin period. Plus they have a great pro ration deal. Make sure you rotate the tires every 3-5k and keep records as Michelin will want those. Also make sure your alignment is good and keeps the tire wear even. When you are down to about 3/4 32nds and need a new set, the tire shop can call Michelin and get you a prorated discount on a new set. I do it all the time here in Colorado and you can save money on the next set. We are one of the top sellers of Michelin tires in CO.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
There are a ton of factors to consider in selecting tires. One brand.model may last longer, but another brand/model is far quieter, while some other brand/model holds the road better, or stops better, a different brand might do better in wet. . . .

Often you have to trade off you may choose longevity and get a tire that whines a lot at high speed. Nothing wrong with it but the noise can get very annoying. You might get a long lasting quiet tire, but it does poorly in wet conditions. . etc.

Then the best tire for each issue will vary with the type of vehicle.

Tire rack is a good starting point, but they do not rate or consider all bands. If you want to make the best possible choice, you will want to decide which factors are important to you and try websites for your car and ask which tires are best for those factors. Also ask the tire dealers sometimes they know about things that do not show up on the internet.

Last time I bought tires for my truck, i did a great deal of research and finally selected a particular type of tire in the price range i could live with. Then I went to a tire store I trust to get a price and they said there is a General Tire Company tire that is better than what I wanted and cheaper. However none of the websites or tire rack had mentioned this particular model of General tire. I decided to trust the tire guy. He said he put them on his truck (same as mine) and loved tham. They have been great tires, but did not seem to last very long. I have to look at the mileage, but they are already shot and it has been less than two years.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:57 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonspice View Post
Hey,

My nephew has a 2001, Lexus RX 300 which bought used a few years ago.

It has about 180k miles on it, and the time has come where it needs a new set of tires.
<>
Car & Driver just tested several tire brands from TireRack on a BMW and put Goodyear at the bottom, Continental and Michelin at the top.
I'd go to the TR website and search your specific vehicle and see the recommendations.
We discussed TR in another thread and it seems they have good prices but if you can get the same tire locally it may workout better for you. Use their quote as a bargaining tool.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:08 AM

Hey,

We bought some Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus tires from Sam's Club in a recent sale.

We are waiting for them to arrive at the store, following which we will get installation.

We paid about $525 in total for a set of 4 after instant rebates and free installation.

They have a 740AA rating with a 10/32 tread depth, and a 65,000 miles mfr limited warranty.

Repeat, we are still waiting on them to arrive at the store...so we may be able to cancel and get a refund....

Alternatively, we have come across a deal on 4 Cooper CS5 Grand Touring 103T Tires (new) from another big box store, and are wondering whether we should go with the Coopers instead??

The Coopers will save us about $175 after factoring in installation costs, and seem to have similar or better specs

80,000 mile limited mfr warranty, 11.5/32 tread depth, 780AB rating.

Should we remain with the Pirelli because they are a more reputed brand? and maybe a superior tire?

Or should we go for the Cooper? and maybe use the approx $175 in savings to get an extra 2 tires to keep as spares?

Please let us know...we do not want to compromise quality or safety for some savings but if the tires are comparable, then why not!

Old 08-09-2017, 03:37 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonspice View Post
Hey,

Or should we go for the Cooper? and maybe use the approx $175 in savings to get an extra 2 tires to keep as spares?
You got the tires that you want. Be happy.

As long as you did some homework and picked the right tread design for your usage you will be fine.

All of the major tire companies make different tires for different usage. Car tires, SUV tires, truck tires, etc.

I have had Goodyear tires and Cooper tires. All last a long time with zero issues. And other branded tires that were Made in China tires that were junk. China tires were new and came with used car.

I do get an alignment when I get new tires. But that has been debated here endlessly. Some do get an alignment and some never get an alignment. It's your choice.

Have fun. Be happy.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:21 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
No. Even within brands there is a wide variation of the cost/traction/lifespan pyramid for individual tires.

Head over to tirerack.com and plug in the car. Research a tire that meets your needs then see if a local shop will beat their price.
My experience with different brands of tire have been mostly consistent with the in-depth ratings on Tire Rack.

I might also add that optimum performance also depends on maintenance of recommended cold tire pressures.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Hey,

I appreciate these replies.

Both the Pirelli and the Cooper have asymmetrical tread patterns, that is one feature I did not check on in too much depth before purchasing.

However, both seem to have the same pattern, so that does not complicate the comparison.

Unfortunately Tire Rack does not have Cooper tires, or else I could have read detailed reviews of it as well.

The Pirellis were the best option based on specs, in my understanding, available at the Sams Club deal last week, but that does not mean that they are not comparable to these Coopers...

So I am still looking for any advice on whether I should seriously consider the Coopers and cancel the Pirelli's

Thank you

Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
I have the Cooper CS5 Touring Tires, on a Nissan Cube. I can't tell you about the performance part since the Cube is hardly any performance oriented at all. I have about 25k miles on them, I believe from eyeball test it should hold up to 55-60k miles and still be usable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive