Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 03:29 AM

154 posts, read 176,713 times

Advertisements

I came across this city ordinance:

Code Enforcement | Pleasant Hill, CA - Official Website

Quote:
Examples of Code Enforcement Violations

Working on vehicles in the driveway of the residence, (minor repairs such as plugs or oil changes may be done if safeguards are taken to prevent oil spillage. Brakes, tires, motor repair and/or removal are not allowed unless done in the garage of the home
In California, most people do not use their garages for cars, since they are full of storage stuff. This is because California homes have no basement and are only has single story homes (ranches) with short driveways, not capes or Victorians or salt boxes. Thus, the ordinance effectively bans most people from DIY auto, except for simple jobs. You can't even change a flat tire or add air.

Note: sparks plugs are allowed, as per above since they consider that a simple job.

PSSSSS...my car takes 6 hours of shop time to change the spark plugs. You have to remove the wipers, exhaust manfiold, cowl, and have the engine to get to them. Guess the City of Pleasasnt Hil is too dumb to know that, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 05:55 AM

421 posts, read 544,016 times
I've heard of this before. I'm not against it. If I dropped $$$ on a nice house in a nice neighborhood I'd not want to view my neighbor's Camaro on cinder blocks on a daily basis. As long as buyers know this limitation going in, I don't see the issue.

[That said, I made sure when I bought my house that nothing of the sort was in place prohibiting me from working on my car in my driveway. And until I hit a huge lottery I'm extremely unlikely to ever buy a house in such a restrictive place. I have nothing against people who want to live in such places, but it's not for me.]

Old 05-15-2017, 06:42 AM

154 posts, read 176,713 times
Ok, thanks for your story. I guess I agree, but it sucks if you have no garage or are a renter. I was just shocked as I never heard of an entire town doing this, just individual HOA's. Pleasant Hill is actually an average middle class community that is going down hill because of crime and homelessness. We are a suburb of Oakland. I guess they are snooty is some ways though. We border the highly exclusive Walnut Creek, among the wealthiest cities in the state.

Also, you cannot sleep in your car on the street (not enforced absent complaints) and your RV parked in your driveway must be 90% obscured by fence or house. All cars on private property must be operational.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:25 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,586,399 times
Seems a rule to help out the local car fixit shops.

Note I can see the no motor removal part. Brakes and tires seems like a make work law to me.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
Ok, thanks for your story. I guess I agree, but it sucks if you have no garage or are a renter. I was just shocked as I never heard of an entire town doing this, just individual HOA's. Pleasant Hill is actually an average middle class community that is going down hill because of crime and homelessness. We are a suburb of Oakland. I guess they are snooty is some ways though. We border the highly exclusive Walnut Creek, among the wealthiest cities in the state.

Also, you cannot sleep in your car on the street (not enforced absent complaints) and your RV parked in your driveway must be 90% obscured by fence or house. All cars on private property must be operational.
I'm assuming the law is the same as your example of sleeping in your car on the street (not enforced absent complaints).

Old 05-15-2017, 09:32 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Nothing really strange there

Old 05-15-2017, 09:32 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,830 times
Wow. Never heard of an entire city doing that. Have heard about it for HOAs.

Sounds like it's another way for the government to nitpick people for violations=fines=revenue with what you said about the crime and homelessness. Those tend to drive businesses/$$$$ away so the local government finds other ways to fund themselves.

I don't think anyone wants to see 6 junk cars parked in the driveway and on the street. Where I am, when people have their garage doors open, you see nothing but junk. Amazing why people keep junk like old mattresses in their garage while the $30k car is parked outside. There are storage facilities to rent. Or you can get rid of some of the clutter because if it's in the garage, you obviously don't need it that bad.

Even worse are the ones who convert their garages into living spaces. Where a garage door was you have a regular door with permanent wall. Sometimes they are split into 2 living spaces so there are at least 2 extra cars in that house.

Is it too much to ask for a clean looking neighborhood?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:33 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
I came across this city ordinance:

Code Enforcement | Pleasant Hill, CA - Official Website

In California, most people do not use their garages for cars, since they are full of storage stuff.
There is your problem. If you want to work on your car, get rid of all the crap in your garage.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I would never buy a house with a garage that faces the street. My garage entrance is in the back which is just the way I like it, but I guess if you live on a postage stamp sized lot there's no choice.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
There is your problem. If you want to work on your car, get rid of all the crap in your garage.
Bingo.

I hate people who have so much junk they can't use a garage for what it's intended for, and park their cars in their driveways or on the street.

Either get rid of your junk, or go rent a storage unit for all your crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive