Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:44 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
that's why you see some stupid laws that prevent you from working on your own car in your driveway. I only can do minor maintenance on my car but I respect people who are able to do their own and wish I had the time to
I've heard of this, would never live in such a place. Even worse, there are places that don't even want you working on your car in your garage. If they tried to enact such a law in my town, I'd counter them with; OK, from now on it is illegal to:
  • do any woodwork in your own home.
  • No dressmaking or embroidery.
  • no more cooking in your home.
  • home office - it's gotta go.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 04:47 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
I used to work on my own cars, but got tired of

lying on my back, filled with caked on grease, hurt my back, cut myself when the wrench slipped, etc...

simple things I can do, hard things left for the pro's.

I dont look down on working on the car thing, only when some guy decides to make a living with it, day after day, on my block, he gets the stink eye

Old 05-15-2017, 05:30 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I look down on men I see with hands that have never gotten dirty. I figure and am proud of my lifetime hot rodding and mechanical capabilities and knowledge.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:39 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I often hear folks at my work say that working on cars is a waste of time and just lease it and drop it off at the dealership and they love talking about the new Courtesy car the dealer just let them have and they're thinking about swapping it when the lease is up.
Where do you work!!! Never heard this before from anyone.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:40 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Yup! My one workplace was a riot of laughter When folks heard I worked on my car. A Lady...well over 40, getting grease under her nails. WOw the horror and gasps by Men and ladies alike sent me into stitches.
It was a place where one of the ladies was insulted when I told her that she needed air in her tires. She huffed that doing such was not Ladylike..

Listen I "GET" it that some folks would rather pay someone to do something they are capable of doing. Its one of the leisures of being well off.....But Most folks with functioning body parts are half way there in having the skills to do their own car repair...the rest comes from logic,tools, and patience!

Old 05-15-2017, 07:50 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
I don't know of anyone who's looked down on me for working on my car, but they've sure looked down on me for driving such an old one! Which wouldn't still be running if I didn't take care of it - funny how that works.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't know anyone who looks down on anyone for working on their own car.

In fact, most of the time they admire it. I don't really care one way or another.

I don't do it because I try to spend my free time doing things I enjoy. If you enjoy car maintenance, then that's what you should do in your free time.
I've never heard of anyone looking down on anyone who fixes their own cars either, in fact, I think people who are clueless are at the mercy of garages.

The people I work with know I have a shop and build cars for myself, and they are always asking me questions and for updates and pictures. Even the girls will call me to the front window to show me some cool old car in the parking lot.

We used to be able to fix anything in this country, but a lot of people have lost that skill. I feel sorry for them.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I often hear folks at my work say that working on cars is a waste of time and just lease it and drop it off at the dealership and they love talking about the new Courtesy car the dealer just let them have and they're thinking about swapping it when the lease is up.
Actually, I look down on the males who have no idea about what's under their hood and have no mechanical aptitude. And then seem to be proud of it.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 AM

600 posts, read 566,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Actually, I look down on the males who have no idea about what's under their hood and have no mechanical aptitude. And then seem to be proud of it.
Really? You look down on males who have no ideas what under the hood of their car?

Do you look down on women who can't cook?

Old 05-16-2017, 01:03 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
What about guys who wear pants every day and have no idea how they were built or how to fix them when problems develop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive