Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 03:09 PM

769 posts, read 775,294 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and find these online build your own tools a bit useless.

There are all these options and combinations and when you are done, all that comes up is a best match search at close dealerships who only stock a very limited vanilla selection of shades of grey with popular options.

Case in point Audi. They have these super fancy options on their site and brag that they are so luxury as to custom build with any color or leather and then you go to a dealership and they tell you sorry, we just have three different shades of grey with black or grey leather and special orders are not possible for your vehicle with the options from the Audi build your own tool.

Why even have these fancy build tools on the website if they can't build the car like that in reality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 03:15 PM

17,072 posts, read 11,919,068 times
You can put in a factory order for an Audi and get a car made exactly for you.
https://www.audiusa.com/inventory/special-order

If a dealer is saying otherwise it's just because he's trying to push his inventory first. Don't bother going in to a dealer. Just submit a request online for a dealer to put in an order for you.

Last edited by notnamed; 05-16-2017 at 04:03 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 03:25 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,121,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post

Why even have these fancy build tools on the website if they can't build the car like that in reality?
Dealers stock what will sell in the least amount of time. Build the car the way you want it, then order it from the Factory.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:19 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,823,586 times
I was able to "find" a car sorta en route (it was already scheduled to be built) that had the stuff and colors I wanted...which was quite a bit. The dealer claimed and "redirected" the car and I got it about a month later. Of course it can't work all the time. Also dealers will sometimes/often "trade" with others who have a car in their inventory. It sounds like your dealer may not be trying that hard...?

Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,164,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and find these online build your own tools a bit useless.
Depends on the brand. Some brands have so many options you can order it will make your head spin, and that's not even talking about the manufacturers that offer complete "bespoke" customization.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:02 AM

6,388 posts, read 6,917,751 times
It's the dealer not the website. A certain client comes to my MB dealer often and goes to same salesman and tells him I want a G550 and then goes out for a smoke. Salesman already knows what options and customizing he wants, orders it up and guy gets a vehicle built. Porsche has what seems to be a thousand different things you customize, and I've seen unique ones in person.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:33 PM

769 posts, read 775,294 times
Thanks for the replies. I just had to vent because I got all excited about a new car with an awesome configuration on the website and was ready to buy (and wait up to 6 months for a special order) but then all that's available and all that can be built by the factory for the next few months according to email feedback from corporate is shades of grey with the interior that I like right now. It's for a $65k vehicle so I expected a bit more professional marketing that doesn't advertise options that they can't build until maybe way (they say TBD) in the future.

I guess that's what sells and I really didn't notice before I was in the market but that's what's on the roads nowadays. White, off white, silver, grey, black, dark almost black blue and the occasional pop of color.

First world problem LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive