Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:03 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,828,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
People can get their address. I wouldn't want strangers just dropping by the house unannounced to just check out the car.
Some years ago in CT you could go to the DMV and get the address of the license plate owner for free. It was a favorite method of private investigators, etc.

CT changed the law so now you have to pay $15 and the DMV will tell the license plate holder via mail who requested their address. IOW, no more anonymity for the requester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've never quite understood what point people see in hiding car license plate numbers in ads on Craigslist. Is there anything John Q Public can do with a plate number other than run a CARFAX report?

Those ads are repellents to me....red flags. If they don't want me running a CARFAX, I'll move on to a seller who isn't making a foolishly feeble attempt to hide their car's history.

Maybe there are other reasons for hiding a plate that I haven't considered. Comments?
A simple internet search and I can find out far too much of info about you from your license plate. Pay a small fee - under $25 - and I can easily find even more info about you. Easy to steal your identity.

A license plate doesn't have anything to do with a CARFAX report. Take them with a grain of salt. They are far from accurate and rarely 100% factual.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:23 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
A simple internet search and I can find out far too much of info about you from your license plate. Pay a small fee - under $25 - and I can easily find even more info about you. Easy to steal your identity.

A license plate doesn't have anything to do with a CARFAX report. Take them with a grain of salt. They are far from accurate and rarely 100% factual.
But you kind of have to have a reason to steal the identity of someone selling their used 2004 Honda Accord on Craigslist. Why go through all that trouble. Walk down a street (or look out your window) and you'll have thousands of license plates in full view to pick from.

If someone is that nefarious they wouldn't go through all the trouble of looking for car ads on craigslist just to get license plate numbers.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
But you kind of have to have a reason to steal the identity of someone selling their used 2004 Honda Accord on Craigslist. Why go through all that trouble. Walk down a street (or look out your window) and you'll have thousands of license plates in full view to pick from.

If someone is that nefarious they wouldn't go through all the trouble of looking for car ads on craigslist just to get license plate numbers.
People are idiots. They do things because they can. No one ever said there was logic or reason behind motives. Some people are just bored living in their parents' basement eating Cheetos and have these amazing brainstorms of dumb crap they can do.

Walk down the street? You mean like go outside? Ugh. That means getting off the couch and out of the basement. Who has that kind of time and energy? LOL

Old 05-17-2017, 11:02 AM

679 posts, read 811,609 times
I would be cautious as well.
Don't want to call? Fine, its your loss.

There are plenty of other buyers out there.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Where the hell do you live bro?

You're telling me someone sells a car, goes back and steals it, then resells it. it might work one time. Maybe. The paper trails would get so complicated you would never be able to register that car.
Las Vegas. I belong to some local buy and sell groups where this was posted. We discussed it with one person in the group who was a victim. He had security cam footage of them stealing the car in his driveway so I am pretty sure this does happen.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:24 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I've never had a vehicle stolen or broken into based on pictures online either in ads or on enthusiast forums, and I've been posting my car pictures since the '90s onli8ne. The plates are just as easy to be read driving around if a nefarious person wanted to get the info off of plates (it's so much easier just to look at the cars driving around and in parking lots than figuring out the location of ones online).
Clearly so.

It's a big stretch to suggest that there's a chance in 10 million that the decision to display a plate or not in a Craigslist ad will make the difference in whether that car is stolen.

But I see in other posts that we're not stopping there. An identity theft risk as well? Wow. That's an interplanetary leap.

* BTW, mark this date for historical reference on the calendar. We agree.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'd blur it just because I'm not positive what they can or can't do with it. Better to be safe than sorry.
Well, that might make some sense if you could keep it blurred at all times and all places you drive or park.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Yes, it does. You can use the plate to obtain one.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:32 AM

So, to sum up so far, we have two rational categories....1) Paranoia and 2) Attempt to conceal something

In category one I would put the kids by the millions who do it because their peers tell them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive