Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times

Advertisements

I'd get a subaru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
.. As for Subaru .... they may drive well, but I dont like the look at all. IMO they look nothing like a jeep. Very unattractive vehicles. Maybe men would disagree. Someone told me to get a range rover but I believe those cost much more than Jeep?? I do like to road trip a lot so I want a car that do that and be my only car and handle snow.
OK, so you don't want a truck but you actually do want a truck. That's what body on frame SUVs really are, you know. For a big, macho looking SUV that's bullet proof, I'd go with Toyota's Land Cruiser or 4Runner.

Otherwise, look at Honda CRV, Grand Vitara, Santa Fe, or something like that.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
Quote:
Ive been wanting to trade in my honda civic to get a 4 door jeep wrangler. I want a car that can handle any weather, snow, not get a flat if you drive over some branches out in nature. When I had my Hyundai I got so many flats. Those tires could not handle anything. And I slid all over in the snow. I want the kind of car that can plow right over that snow, without getting a truck. I want a 4 door, big strong tires, but NOT a truck or mini van. A jeep seemed perfect for me. But everyone Ive talked to says Jeep has a lot of problems. That they break down a lot. Even when they are still new. Is Jeep still the best way to go? Or is there a good alternative? Something not crazy expensive that wont break down all the time.
Try looking at used versions of the Nissian Xterra or Toyota FJ Crusier are all pretty capable Jeep Wrangler like body on frame SUV's that can tow/haul.

Also if you want something that can tow haul and are easy to find and easy to find any shop[ to work on then the last gen body on frame Ford Explorer came with 4-wheel independant suspension (better on road feel) and a stout 320HP+ 3-Valve 4.6L V8 from the 2005-2008 Mustang GT.

Would also suggest taking a look at the Dodge Durango as well but then you are getting into Chevy Yukon/Tahoe sized SUV's

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-19-2017 at 03:49 PM..

Old 05-19-2017, 08:09 PM

94 posts, read 130,138 times
Just to reiterate, I don't want a truck or an SUV. Not only do these not look like what I want visually on the outside, but I don't want to operate a hard to park vehicle. Being a 5 foot 4 woman I just don't feel comfortable in a huge car. And although I consider myself a good driver ( i've never hit anyone and only had one speeding ticket) I can admit I don't do well with parking large cars. I commonly bump curbs trying to park my Honda Civic and it's because I really can't see them . I feel like being higher up in a jeep would actually fix this problem to some degree. But I want to feel comfortable backing up and doing so in snow. So far I have not found anything as small or compact as a jeep that can drive right over the snow. All the alternatives are much larger which I don't like. I believe the Subaru is a good company but I just can't stand the look of the cars from the outside. My ex-husband had one and it was a very nerd car in my opinion. I know some people don't really care about the appearance of cars and more just about how well it drives. I want to find something that looks like jeep as far as the size but won't constantly be breaking down. Some people say they have had no problems with jeep where other people say it's nothing but problems so I am torn. I will Google some of the suggestions listed here and see if any of these other options look remotely like the jeep in size and style. As far as the budget goes I would like to stay in a basic jeep price range. I don't need a fancy luxury car brand name. As long as the car fits my size and runs well I could care less what fancy name it has. I used to drive a van and felt very uncomfortable. Not only did I feel like a soccer mom but it also was just very difficult to drive for me.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:06 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
have you looked at the Chevy Colrado Mid-size PU truck OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6b_93QZ2fM

Old 05-20-2017, 03:10 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,019,017 times
Anecdotal but I know about two dozen people with Jeep Wranglers in my circle of car guys and every single one of them loves them and really haven't had any issues at all with them. Some of them are daily drivers, and some are toys that are used alongside Porsches, BMWs and other high end cars. They wouldn't hold their value like they do if they were junk the people on this forum like to say they are. To say they are junk and unreliable just simply isn't true whatsoever.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:27 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
It just too bad that Mitsubishi got rid of the old square Montero.
It could do everything a Jeep could do and then some, like drive 25mph in foot deep snow in low gear.
Buddy who had a Jeep at the same time was surprised I could do that.

Getting rid of the "Reliable Land Rover" was the dumbest thing they ever did.
It was very hard to get one of those things stuck. It would be the OP's perfect car.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:49 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,414,705 times
Quote:
Ive been wanting to trade in my honda civic to get a 4 door jeep wrangler. I want a car that can handle any weather, snow, not get a flat if you drive over some branches out in nature. When I had my Hyundai I got so many flats. Those tires could not handle anything. And I slid all over in the snow. I want the kind of car that can plow right over that snow, without getting a truck. I want a 4 door, big strong tires, but NOT a truck or mini van. A jeep seemed perfect for me. But everyone Ive talked to says Jeep has a lot of problems. That they break down a lot. Even when they are still new. Is Jeep still the best way to go? Or is there a good alternative? Something not crazy expensive that wont break down all the time.
Buy looking at your needs and wants in a vehicle. You seem to have narrowed your selection down to only a few. Depending on your budget. Pick from those. Not a Jeep.

Last edited by RcHydro; 05-20-2017 at 03:59 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 01:09 PM

94 posts, read 130,138 times
I will check out the FJ toyota. Not as cute as jeep but better than a truck or mini van look. 40000 for a jeep?! Who is spending that? The ones I looked at did not cost that much.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:51 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,564,089 times
When you test drive the FJ, pay attention to the blind spots created by the massive rear roof pillars. When I drove one, I couldn't get out of it fast enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive