Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:27 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

I usually get the insurance that's offered. BUT a post here reminded me that some (most?) credit cards have some protections for car rentals. You have to double check the fine print on that to confirm what IS and ISN"T covered. But at least I'll look into that next time.

The insurance on my two week rental last time, damn near doubled the cost of the rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
American Express does really good supplemental primary insurance, even with their lower tier 'Blue' cards. For $15-$25 PER RENTAL (not per day) you get the equivalent of CDW/'Super Cover' in most countries around the world you'd want to rent a car in (exceptions- Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Australia, and a few others I can't remember)

https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do

I've fortunately never had to file a claim with it, but reviews are generally quite good from those who have.

Some other premium credit cards offer similar premium rental insurance riders that go beyond basic credit card protections.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:28 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I've done this a couple of times. And may do it more and more as my car gets older.

Also, I'm at 206k miles and would like to hit 500k, so I find myself babying my 2006 4-wheeled "baby" more, as she gets older.
It depends where I am going. I got property in Dalton, Georgia, so when I go there, I'll take my vehicles. But, if I know I'm going to a busy city like Atlanta, Miami, Orlando or New York city, I'll rent a car, because I won't mind if that gets smashed up by the crazy city drivers.

Also, every couple of years the family gets together, so instead of going in separate cars, I'll rent a van so we can all go in that together.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:53 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
My corporate rate at Hertz is the same one the insurance companies pay. 'F' class "full size" cars (Altima, Accord, 200) for $28/day. I telecommuted for 7 years. If I had to drive on business anywhere but to the airport, I'd rent a car. I've rented a car a few times for long personal drives. My winter ski and summer ocean places are 220 miles apart. If I have to shoot up to my ski condo for one night in the summer, I'll rent a car.

I have 10's of thousands of miles in those POS Hertz 'F' class cars for business trips. My car is far more comfortable. I have adaptive cruise control. I have AWD and snow tires. It has to be a ton of miles on a personal trip for me to suffer through one of those Hertz rentals and I'm too cheap to rent a 'premium' car.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:55 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
I usually get the insurance that's offered. BUT a post here reminded me that some (most?) credit cards have some protections for car rentals. You have to double check the fine print on that to confirm what IS and ISN"T covered. But at least I'll look into that next time.

The insurance on my two week rental last time, damn near doubled the cost of the rental.
You'd have to check with your insurance company but my auto policy covers rentals and my credit card covers any deductible.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You'd have to check with your insurance company but my auto policy covers rentals and my credit card covers any deductible.
same here...^^^

I still rent, especially when I can get a $9.99 Enterprise car for a weekend trip.

Today I am in a $12 / day Avis - preferred

Old 07-11-2017, 12:06 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
We normally use our own cars which are rather low mileage( 37K and 62K). However , this fall , we may rent an med. size SUV to take stuff back to daughter. It would be for at least 2 weeks. I priced some agencies and it was close to $1K for the period. That does seem like a lot; however, it is cheaper than sending it by freight company, plus we would have a newer car to travel in that would have the adequate space for the stuff like lamptables and pictures and things.

Back when we had older cars and wife was staying home with baby daughter, we did rent a car for a week and use it on vacation as we didn't trust ours. It worked out okay and it saved us having to go buy a new car with payments. Still unsure about the insurance as the stuff you get at the rental desk is expensive.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:18 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:

Why are you buying insurance?

Your policy covers you when you use a "temporary" or "substitute vehicle".

Rental insurance is one of the biggest rip offs that exists unless you don't have a vehicle of your own that is already covered by insurance.

Also, if you have a decent credit card it should cover any collision damage waiver.

I sometimes rent a car if the vacation is a long, driving vacation and I can get a cheap rental car with unlimited mileage.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:28 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
I buy cars to drive.
I'm not getting a rental unless I fly and have no choice.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
I always rent cars to take on road trips.

Last week I had to take an emergency road trip and did not have time to rent a car. On the freeway I got a rock on the windshield, which now has to be replaced. Also the interior of the car got very dirty as I had to entertain clients (one of whom spilled his leftover curried chicken in my car), hood got damaged from bugs at high speed, etc. Door got dinged (thanks to one of the clients). Reminded me why I always rent cars when I travel.

Now I have to:

Arrange to have windshield replaced
Have the car professionally detailed (although I doubt that the yellow stains from the curry will come out; seat cover will have to be replaced)
Hope that hood damage can be repaired
Hope the door damage can be repaired
Deal with insurance company, dealership, body shop, etc.

If the rental car would have sustained a chip and all the other issues, I would have returned the car and they (Hertz) would have had to deal with it, not me.

Renting a car for 10 bucks a day for 4 days would have been soooo worth saving myself this aggravation, not to mention the money and hours of my precious spare time. I am not even going to add up how many hours and dollars all of this is going to take b/c I would just get too pissed off.

Car rental prices are way too cheap to drive my own car on road trips and deal with the aftermath. Not to mention that if you get into an accident or breakdown, you can just get another car.

Last edited by sinatras; 07-12-2017 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive