Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 11:46 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
You obviously have never been a mechanic, and likely haven't lived any substantial amount of time in a cold climate.
Carburetors disappeared in the 80s, not 90s, even the rare exceptions were replaced in very early 90.

The phenomenon of cylinder wash down, you are unknowingly referring to, is nearly unheard of in modern engines and not a huge issue in properly tuned older engines.
It was much more prevalent in carbureted engines, and would have caused more wear in that era.

On today's very modern EFI systems, the engine has to be at a set operating temperature for the computer to alleviate any fuel enrichment.
Also, all but the thinnest synthetics need to warm up to properly lube almost every ICE in existence. The oil pump also does not instantaneously deliver oil to all necessary passages, bearing and lifters, and all mechanical tolerances do not instantly and thoroughly heat to operating temp, which tightens tolerances.

There is plenty of credence to allowing an engine to rise to a proper operating temperature before putting a load on it.
Aside from that , cold weather inhabitants will espouse the safety aspects of allowing a vehicle to warm while having no tangible results of the "extra wear" you speak of.
In reality it has much more to do with temperature than time. That said, anecdotally, I have owned many many different vehicles in Texas, North Dakota and other states. I idled a lot in North Dakota and suffered no "excess wear" due to it.

As for living in cold climates, I've spent the majority of my life living in New York, and while it's not like Fargo, ND or Minneapolis, it can get pretty darned cold in New York in the winter too.

I'm guessing you did not bother to look at any of the articles I posted links to above. I particularly chose the links to the articles from Popular Mechanics and Road and Track magazine, as I thought they would lend credibility to the idea that it's not necessary to warm up a modern engine beyond 30-60 seconds... even in winter. No one is saying that you should just turn the key of your car and start driving off, especially if you've still got lots of ice and snow on your windshield. But those who know about these things say that a car will warm up more quickly when it's being driven than it will sitting in your driveway idling. People who let their cars idle for extended periods of time in the winter are mostly doing that for their own comfort and convenience (they're waiting until the interior of the car is warm enough for them to drive with their coats off, and/or waiting for the defroster to do all the work of removing the snow and ice so they don't have to stand out in the cold and scrape / brush it off themselves).

If you don't agree with the idea that a car's engine shouldn't be run for more than a minute before being driven, write to the people at Popular Mechanics, Road and Track, etc. I'm just passing along the information. I just cited 3 examples, but I'm sure I could find a lot more that agree with this perspective about engine idling if I looked.

BTW, the dates I gave for the end of carbureted engines was mentioned in one of the articles that I cited in my last post. I don't have the dates of every change in engine development committed to memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 12:24 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Wow, I somehow thought I was the only one bothered by this! So irritating after 10minutes!!

Old 05-27-2017, 01:17 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
If you're going to start down that road with your neighbor be prepared for him to say you ought to be jogging for an hour every day and stop eating meat! ...how would you feel about that?

Old 05-27-2017, 01:26 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If you're going to start down that road with your neighbor be prepared for him to say you ought to be jogging for an hour every day and stop eating meat! ...how would you feel about that?
They're not bad people. The couple lives within the parents owned multi family house. I just think they are either misinformed or careless. They could be on something, no idea but they belong in that demographics.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:04 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7X2_V60YK8

Old 05-27-2017, 02:21 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
People today just can't mind their own business, so what if he idles his car for a long time it's his car not yours. If someone told me not to idle my car I would tell them to shut the **** up and mind their own business or you will see how good your Obamacare is. I don't get people today always have to worry about what other people are doing or saying it's non of their business.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:24 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
As for living in cold climates, I've spent the majority of my life living in New York, and while it's not like Fargo, ND or Minneapolis, it can get pretty darned cold in New York in the winter too.

I'm guessing you did not bother to look at any of the articles I posted links to above. I particularly chose the links to the articles from Popular Mechanics and Road and Track magazine, as I thought they would lend credibility to the idea that it's not necessary to warm up a modern engine beyond 30-60 seconds... even in winter. No one is saying that you should just turn the key of your car and start driving off, especially if you've still got lots of ice and snow on your windshield. But those who know about these things say that a car will warm up more quickly when it's being driven than it will sitting in your driveway idling. People who let their cars idle for extended periods of time in the winter are mostly doing that for their own comfort and convenience (they're waiting until the interior of the car is warm enough for them to drive with their coats off, and/or waiting for the defroster to do all the work of removing the snow and ice so they don't have to stand out in the cold and scrape / brush it off themselves).

If you don't agree with the idea that a car's engine shouldn't be run for more than a minute before being driven, write to the people at Popular Mechanics, Road and Track, etc. I'm just passing along the information. I just cited 3 examples, but I'm sure I could find a lot more that agree with this perspective about engine idling if I looked.

BTW, the dates I gave for the end of carbureted engines was mentioned in one of the articles that I cited in my last post. I don't have the dates of every change in engine development committed to memory.
I looked at every one. That said, I don't need small entertainment oriented editorials to tell me what I have learned from hands on tangible experience with hundreds of engines and years of experience in automotive maintenance and modification.

The fuel injection changeover is a huge automotive marker for those in the community, not a simple change in auto development.

Last edited by Jimbo302; 05-27-2017 at 03:38 PM..

Old 05-27-2017, 03:56 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My neighbor often would sit in the car parked in front of their house idling for 30mins to 1 hr while the car engine is running waiting for the spouse to return. They do that just so their nicer car can get into the garage while their normal car would block the driveway. I’ve been seeing this for years and never understood it. In the winter I see the car idling with the lights fully on. In the summer I hear the radiator fan going off as they got the AC on full blast inside. I don’t get it.
Stop peeping out the window, get a life of your own, help others, get outside and live.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I looked at every one. That said, I don't need small entertainment oriented editorials to tell me what I have learned from hands on tangible experience with hundreds of engines and years of experience in automotive maintenance and modification.

The fuel injection changeover is a huge automotive marker for those in the community, not a simple change in auto development.
Entertainment oriented editorials? I don't know about you, but I don't read Popular Mechanics for entertainment.

Since you don't seem to respect the opinions of anyone who isn't a mechanic like yourself, I'll just give these final articles with the opinions of mechanics about how long it's necessary to warm up your car from a cold start. If you still think you know better than everyone else, including other mechanics, do as you please. I'm done wasting my time here.

Opinion of a certified master technician: "There's no need in this modern era of fuel injection and on-board computers. Thirty seconds, a minute at the most, and you're good to go, no matter the weather outside. That's how long it takes for the oil to get from the bottom to the top of your engine, where the moving parts are."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...gine/95923774/

From Your Mechanic.com: "The truth is that nowadays there is no need whatsoever to warm your car’s engine before driving off. A few seconds of running is enough to get full oil pressure throughout the engine, so you can simply drive off as you would on a summer's day. This has been made possible largely through the global adoption of electronic fuel injection systems, which are calibrated to provide a perfectly combustible mixture at all temperatures, and to provide normal throttle response at all times"

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...before-driving

Old 05-28-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
People today just can't mind their own business, so what if he idles his car for a long time it's his car not yours. If someone told me not to idle my car I would tell them to shut the **** up and mind their own business or you will see how good your Obamacare is. I don't get people today always have to worry about what other people are doing or saying it's non of their business.
Save the machismo for your girlfriend or wife. You're not impressing anyone here with that attitude.

Somebody comes to me telling me they're going to show me how good my Obamacare is, and I'm introducing them to my lawyer and the nearest jail cell.

Someone who isn't able to control their temper as well as I am could come back and shoot you, your wife or gf, and your pets in retaliation for what you did. Violence doesn't solve problems, it just creates new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive