Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:14 PM

49 posts, read 43,953 times

Advertisements

Today, 5/24, I received a $42 parking ticket by mail. The amount is higher than usual because I didn't pay before the due date on 5/13. The date of violation is 4/13.
I never saw a ticket on my car, so I couldn't know I had a ticket. It is not fair that I have to pay a fine for not paying in time. Is there something I could do to avoid this injustice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 05:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
How can you prove you didn't see the ticket? Suck it up and pay is the best advice I can give you

Old 05-24-2017, 05:47 PM

I cannot, and they cannot prove me that they displayed the ticket. I hope with technology, later, people could receive their tickets by email.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:43 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
you are unfortunately another victim to the road pirates

Old 05-25-2017, 12:36 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiparis View Post
Today, 5/24, I received a $42 parking ticket by mail. The amount is higher than usual because I didn't pay before the due date on 5/13. The date of violation is 4/13.
I never saw a ticket on my car, so I couldn't know I had a ticket. It is not fair that I have to pay a fine for not paying in time. Is there something I could do to avoid this injustice?
I agree with Me007 . . . "Suck it up and pay . . . "

Anyone want to bet on how many thousands, possibly millions of "poor me victims" have claimed that same feeble excuse in court?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:51 PM

Just today, eBay told me that an item that I bought was delivered in my mailbox, I didn't receive anything. I will probably go to my post office tomorrow. Same thing happened in November, the seller sent me a second item for free. It happened again maybe 1 month ago, I went to post office and I got it the same day. Now, a third time. Sad.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:58 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I agree that it is silly that you have to pay the higher amount, however, are you actually guilty of parking illegally in some way? I didn't see a claim of innocence in your post. If you could prove that, there might be a way out. Otherwise, you're probably stuck.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
While I agree that people who park illegally should pay the appropriate fine, I also think that the public should be protected against over-greedy towns that use the police as a revenue stream rather than agents for public safety.

So, to the OP: when you were notified of the transgression, was it by a method that's legally verifiable?
IE: Was their late fine based on the presumption that you'd read and tossed the ticket, or were you properly notified first. Proper: when you got the ticket in the mail, was it certified? or just plain 1st class.

My point being:
You shouldn't be penalized (extra) for being the victim of a malicious prank when someone else takes the ticket off your windshield. Likewise,
You shouldn't be penalized (extra) for being the victim of an incompetent postal delivery person.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:07 AM

When I receive a ticket, I always pay it ASAP. What is strange is that the fine matches "Improper or restricted parking". I usually don't do that. Maybe I parked and I didn't see that it was improper, but I doubt it. The date of violation is 4/13, so I don't remember what I did 1 month and half ago.There is no address, no details on the notice of payment due.
I was not notified of the transgression, there is a late fine. Normal fee should be $23. Late fine is $42. I never got the ticket in the mail, they usually out it on the car. I just received the late fine mail and it wasn't certified. Maybe the employee who gave me the ticket forgot to put it in my car.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:38 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiparis View Post
When I receive a ticket, I always pay it ASAP. What is strange is that the fine matches "Improper or restricted parking". I usually don't do that. Maybe I parked and I didn't see that it was improper, but I doubt it. The date of violation is 4/13, so I don't remember what I did 1 month and half ago.There is no address, no details on the notice of payment due.
I was not notified of the transgression, there is a late fine. Normal fee should be $23. Late fine is $42. I never got the ticket in the mail, they usually out it on the car. I just received the late fine mail and it wasn't certified. Maybe the employee who gave me the ticket forgot to put it in my car.
I would want to know the details before paying it. How do you know it isn't some scam? Apart from the government scam, I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive