Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:09 AM

844 posts, read 1,441,229 times

Advertisements

I need some other people's opinions..I was cleaning up yesterday and I've run across 30-40 old oil change receipts, old starter receipt, and many other car repairs no longer under warranty. Is there any reason for a person to keep old car receipts?

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 05:15 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I don't keep any receipt unless it pertains to some sort of warranty. I *do* track all the information (date, mileage, what was done and by who) in a spreadsheet.

So, the physical paper items, trash. The information might be valuable if you plan on selling the vehicle private party.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:29 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I don't keep any receipt unless it pertains to some sort of warranty. I *do* track all the information (date, mileage, what was done and by who) in a spreadsheet.

So, the physical paper items, trash. The information might be valuable if you plan on selling the vehicle private party.
Brian has the best advice.

If not on computer then a log book or notebook.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:57 AM

421 posts, read 543,885 times
Twenty or thirty years from now it might be nice to look at. You could tell whippersnappers that xyz only cost $ back in the day--and you could take a photo to prove it. Beyond that... no real need to keep. Most warranties on parts apply only to the person who bought it, and don't transfer to second owner (struts, tires, etc) thus if you flip the car you might as well throw out the receipts. [Can pass along any of the 8.5x11 sheets of work done, but the little credit slips I don't pass along.] Edit: a dealership is going to throw away those records (usually), and if you sell the car well used, the next owner probably doesn't care either (most won't). So it's of little loss I think, unless if you have some truly valuable vehicle that niche owners lust over.

I usually put all the info down into a little notebook, which can go to the next owner; and also into Excel. My receipts then go into a receipts box for tax purposes, filed by month. To be tossed out eventually.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:27 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Some people might like it from a private party sale perspective. Having Maintenance records is that proves the car was maintained is a "feel good" type thing that proves the vehicles history.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:50 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Funny how many people say they wont' buy a used car if it doesn't have proof that things were done and maintained/repaired properly, but wont' keep those receipts themselves... A log book is not proof.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:20 AM

345 posts, read 249,986 times
Sometimes they're kind of cool.

You should see the stack of California smog failures I have for different old muscle cars that I owned.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:32 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Some people might like it from a private party sale perspective. Having Maintenance records is that proves the car was maintained is a "feel good" type thing that proves the vehicles history.
This ^. Being able to document with receipts that a car has been regularly serviced can mean the difference between someone actually buying your car or not when you want to sell it. If you can show a potential buyer, with service records, that the car has been well maintained, it can bring you more money from a buyer. Carfax reports do not necessarily show every service or repair that has been done to a vehicle.

If all you have to show a buyer are notations you've made in a notebook or a spreadsheet you've created, then they have no proof that the work you claim was done was actually done; they're just taking your word that what you say is true.

Put the receipts into a large manila envelope or folder to show a potential buyer when it comes time to sell the car.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:41 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That's exactly why I KEEP the Original receipts, a spreadsheet doesn't tell me it WAS DONE. The receipts tell me it WAS done, when and how often...

It also keeps ME informed of what was maintained last, or what broke when and was fixed.

It also helps me to keep track of costs associated with the ownership of the vehicle.

When I read "well maintained" in a used car ad, I ask if they have the receipts. If not, I assume they are lying and trying to get a buck or two more for the car.

When I DO buy a new used vehicle, whether from a dealer or private party, I immediately within 3 months do my own maintenance {at a garage} so I know it WAS actually done as a starting point.

it's easy to keep a folder of auto maintenance, it's not hard at all. Really it isn't.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
When you consider how fast the cars depreciate, having detailed receipts for every oil change and other service proving they were done on time is not going to net much more in the way of resale. If traded in, the dealer won't care, their offer is based on blue book, and giving you as little as they can get away with. I remember my father years ago keeping a log book, including calculation of MPG every time he got gas. That helped him, because his 392 Hemi 1957 Chrysler Wagon fot 9-10 MPG, and any decrease helped determine that it might need some service. Back then spark plugs, distributor caps and rotors, fuel filters and air filters lasted 10,000 miles or less, if you were lucky. The modern car requires very little other than oil changes at 7,500-10,000 miles until 100,000 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive