Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 02:12 PM

30 posts, read 30,393 times

Advertisements

IGoZoom,

Thanks! How low does the CX 9 sit? The wife has a Subaru Outback and once I'm in its fine, for the most part but sits to low for me, plus it only has a 4 banger.

I'm looking into both the CX 9, which i didn't even think about and the Santa Fe. The SF, seems to have it all as in price and reliability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 11:57 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
Dodge Durango, great value for the money. Mercedes platform, RWD

Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 PM

well went with nothing I initially thought of and got a 2015 4runner with less than 30Gs on it. Doesn't have all the bells n whistles but it'll last forever. Was worried how the wife would feel climbing in and sitting but she sat in a 2012, didn't say much got into the 2015 with some bells n whistles and we were done

Thank you all for the great info, believe me it does help for whatever thats worth!

Old 01-17-2018, 02:29 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelAdgitator View Post
Looking to buy a used maybe 3 or 4 year old SUV. Want reliable and low mileage that can handle 100,000 with regular maintenance. I'm comparing Honda Pilot, Volvo XC90, Acura MDX, Hyundai Santa Fe. Not worried about luxury or not, just want something that can haul kids, dogs, maybe some camping thrown in.

I've owned a Jeep Commander Overland, Jeep Cherokee, Land Rover, and now Subaru Outback. I like the Subaru for reliability but not the low clearance having to squat down to get in is not for this old guy anymore Jeeps are out now loved my Commander but after 80,000 it was nickel and diming us, along with Land Rovers, as my South African friends call them Rand Lovers.

I prefer V6, don't need an 8 cylinder but do not want a 4 banger, our Outback has that now and the ac blows hot air when climbing hills in the summer.

(snip)

Any thoughts, personal experiences, auto knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
Before you buy anything consider the inventor/owner of the "SUV" type vehicle .......The Chevy Suburban.

The Suburban is a true carry all ,carry just about anything and tow anything vehicle ever built. This vehicle is built on a truck frame , not a stinking unibody. The steel frame means that a better ride , better passenger safety, and way better load handing with the added plus of much ,much longer user lifespan.

Older Suburbans built from 1992 on are really great vehicles for everyday family use! So with care it's very possible to find a Suburban with less than 200,000 mi. (life span is often 300,00+ mi.) that is ready to go at prices that are a screaming bargain!! Then there is repair parts......since it's GM product parts will always be easy to find.

The Chevy Suburban we own is over 20 yrs old looking like new with only normal maintenance cost over the years.
Same engine, transmission, rear end and entire body when we bought it new. Lots of miles hauling everything from kids to lumber.

Chevy Suburban value for the common working family.

(Overall gas MPG is very good indeed to a vehicle this size)

Note: This post is intended for members based in the USA.

Last edited by Retired in Illinois; 01-17-2018 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 05:20 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
IGoZoom,

Thanks! How low does the CX 9 sit? The wife has a Subaru Outback and once I'm in its fine, for the most part but sits to low for me, plus it only has a 4 banger.

I'm looking into both the CX 9, which i didn't even think about and the Santa Fe. The SF, seems to have it all as in price and reliability.
The 4-cylinder Outback is a dog. I own a 6-cylinder. It has adequate power. If it sits too low for you and you want a family hauler, you want one of the big Japanese crossovers. Minivans with hinged rear doors. The problem is that they don't depreciate so buying used doesn't help unless you're buying an older one with a ton of miles on it. If you're buying used, you want to buy something fairly reliable that depreciates like a stone and then find a low mileage one that's been taken care of. Ford Edge. A bunch of GM products.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:28 PM

Yeah I was willing to look at those as well but too big for the wife. I even had her look at the Tahoe but again she didn't like it. So 4Runner it is

Old 01-18-2018, 03:14 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,393 times
Quote:
Yeah I was willing to look at those as well but too big for the wife. I even had her look at the Tahoe but again she didn't like it. So 4Runner it is
Sigh!! It's necessary to keep the wife happy. The 4Runner is very ok too.

The 8th & 9th generation are the best years for the Suburban. After that they got very bloated and very hard to handle. I'm looking for a replacement Suburban but only in the 8/9th model period. looking for a 1993>1999 (8th gen.) cream puff suburban to buy.

Last edited by Retired in Illinois; 01-18-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 08:56 AM

300 posts, read 639,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Dodge Durango, great value for the money. Mercedes platform, RWD
Why would you recommend one of worst reliable brands in
The world?

Daughter has had two dodges, transmission and electrical problem on both of em

Old 01-19-2018, 02:09 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
What?? I've only owned 1 vehicle that gave me over 100k without issues. Besides the normal wear and tear and usual maintenance my Toyota Land Cruiser which I bought used with 80,000 on it. That baby was a beast and never gave me trouble. My Jeep 80,000 started giving me fits with the electrical crap, my Cherokee gave me fits with rods and seals.

I've usually dumped most vehicles around the 80,000 mark, so not sure about new cars nowadays but 100k break in period, I can't buy that
My wife's 2011 Mazda CX-9 just went past 100k miles a few months back and it runs & drives like new. I am thinking 200k without any major problems is totally do-able. You may want to add it to the list of vehicles you are considering.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:12 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Why would you recommend one of worst reliable brands in
The world?

Daughter has had two dodges, transmission and electrical problem on both of em
What years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive