Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:12 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

While bleeding my brakes today, I discovered that two of my wheel bearings are making noise; so all four corners need to be replaced.

The fronts no problem, they probably just need repacking, and if they need to be replace, I can still tackle that by taking the hubs to a shop to be pressed. However the rears need quite a bit more disassembly and a puller is involved. I will also have to deal with pressing a large bearing in and out. I'm thinking I might just let the shop handle this job.

What jobs are just not worth it to you because of the time, tools, or expertise needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 08:26 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
I don't get into internals of the engine or transmission, nor will i pull either. I also dont do bodywork of any kind, or anything that needs lots of specialty equipment (like AC work). Other than that, if I'm motivated enough, i usually do it myself. Lots of oil changes, brakes, suspension, and pretty much anything that hangs off the motor.

Mike

Old 05-28-2017, 10:58 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
While bleeding my brakes today, I discovered that two of my wheel bearings are making noise; so all four corners need to be replaced.

The fronts no problem, they probably just need repacking, and if they need to be replace, I can still tackle that by taking the hubs to a shop to be pressed. However the rears need quite a bit more disassembly and a puller is involved. I will also have to deal with pressing a large bearing in and out. I'm thinking I might just let the shop handle this job.

What jobs are just not worth it to you because of the time, tools, or expertise needed?
You're not going to get a useful answer without the year, make, and model of the vehicle.

Also I seriously doubt that all four wheel bearings need to be replaced.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:09 AM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
You're not going to get a useful answer without the year, make, and model of the vehicle.

Also I seriously doubt that all four wheel bearings need to be replaced.
That is the most sensible thing I have read on this forum in a long time.

I remember back when I had a 2006 Mazda three hatchback.
Wheel bearing noise developed, and sounded like all four were ready to bite the dust.
I have worked on vehicles all my life, and know what a worn bearing sounds like, and how it feels.
Took it to the dealer, and they replaced the front ones.
The noise still continued.

Brought it back twice more, and they finally decided it wasn't the bearings at all, it was the sh!tty goodyear tires.
They swapped out the tires, and no more noise.
It got me to thinking,maybe they never changed the front bearings like they said they did.
It was still under warranty, so it only cost me my time.
PO, check your tires, it may not be a wheel bearing at all, especially all four going out at once.

Bob.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:26 AM

430 posts, read 1,192,675 times
Anything past the cylinder head honestly. Ok anything past the cylinder head gasket to be specific.

A blown headgasket is as far as i'll go into an engine.

I've replaced my hydraulic lifters in my Merecedes 300SDL, which involved pulling the camshaft.

It actually isn't that bad. I'm a mediocre DIYer (had to back track multiple times) but I successfully get things done.
You NEED a service manual to get your own work done, also a forum dedicated to your car helps too

Replacing hydraulic lifters cost well over $1,000 in labor at a Merecedes shop, so I just did it myself.

I've also replaced my intake manifold gasket, vacuum pump, rebuilt my delivery valves, rebuilt my entire front end tensioning assembly, and will soon reinstall my injectors and injector brackets.

God knows how much in labor that would cost. Probably well over or just near $2,500 in labor alone.
Don't forget mechanics buying pos China parts and marking them up. I buy genuine parts ONLY.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:31 AM

430 posts, read 1,192,675 times
Also with my car Bosch sent it's injector manufacturing to India from Germany.

End result are OEM injectors that are COMPLETELY GARBAGE! My car came with those pos injectors, my car ran like **** because of them.

Replaced the nozzles with some reputable ones made in GERMANY, i'll install them Tuesday.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:31 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
I have the ability, and the common sense to do most any type of repair work on. What I dont have is the tools, time or physical strength to do any of it any more. My dealer charges me a fair price for repairs, that come with a warranty, and do my oil changes and tire rotations cheaper and faster than I could do it, and get a free wash and vacuum to boot.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
When i was younger i did almost all repairs on my cars but as i got older i started letting others do the work. It started with mufflers and exhaust systems,then brakes, and now i dont even change the oil anymore ,i'm also thinking of getting some one else to wash and wax the car.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:36 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Although I can fix most things, my 67 year old aging body makes many things too hard.

So now I just do oil and filter changes, transmission fluid changes and brake jobs.

Everything else goes to a trusted mechanic. But I've also resolved to get rid of cars that get into wear out mode. From now on, I'll likely buy used 1 year old fleet returns from my former employer and dump them at about 8 years.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:55 AM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
It is pointless thread without knowing vehicle in discussion.
If you want to be specific.

On a general note, outside of need for very expensive scanners, anything mechanical can be done DIY with good will, time, and set of good tools. At fraction of shop cost. Just depends on one's level of laziness and desire to "be taken care of".
Like in OP case (again, who knows?) - entire hub new is not much of expense. So why bother with all that five step dance he describes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive