Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:18 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This appears to be an absolute legal statement which is not allowed on this forum and you may not be qualified to express.

OP: If it were me in your situation I would go to the police station and explain to them what happened, in detail and ask them what if anything you should do.
I was quoting an article. It's is not my statement. My god does anyone here understand hit and run laws? Here I will quote the California law directly from California government website. I will state that every state I know of has a similar law.

Quote:
CHAPTER 1. Accidents and Accident Reports [20000 - 20018] ( Heading of Chapter 1 added by Stats. 1989, Ch. 281, Sec. 2. )

(a) The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to any property, including vehicles, shall immediately stop the vehicle at the nearest location that will not impede traffic or otherwise jeopardize the safety of other motorists. Moving the vehicle in accordance with this subdivision does not affect the question of fault. The driver shall also immediately do either of the following:

(1) Locate and notify the owner or person in charge of that property of the name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle involved and, upon locating the driver of any other vehicle involved or the owner or person in charge of any damaged property, upon being requested, present his or her driver’s license, and vehicle registration, to the other driver, property owner, or person in charge of that property. The information presented shall include the current residence address of the driver and of the registered owner. If the registered owner of an involved vehicle is present at the scene, he or she shall also, upon request, present his or her driver’s license information, if available, or other valid identification to the other involved parties.
(2) Leave in a conspicuous place on the vehicle or other property damaged a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and of the owner of the vehicle involved and a statement of the circumstances thereof and shall without unnecessary delay notify the police department of the city wherein the collision occurred or, if the collision occurred in unincorporated territory, the local headquarters of the Department of the California Highway Patrol.
(b) Any person who parks a vehicle which, prior to the vehicle again being driven, becomes a runaway vehicle and is involved in an accident resulting in damage to any property, attended or unattended, shall comply with the requirements of this section relating to notification and reporting and shall, upon conviction thereof, be liable to the penalties of this section for failure to comply with the requirements.
(c) Any person failing to comply with all the requirements of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine.
(Amended by Stats. 2001, Ch. 825, Sec. 16. Effective January 1, 2002.)
Law section

That is not my statement. It is the law of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 03:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
You should probably consider taking a driving class.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:40 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I believe the police would have no choice but to arrest the OP for hit and run. When you walk into a police station and confessed to a crime, I don't know what else they could do. If the OP actually does that, he should have his bail money ready.
No, not if the other car hit the OP.

That is the story I read.

Although similar happened to me at a rotary (roundabout in other parts of country). Dark night. Other driver thought I entered too early and got mad and passed me in rotary. Bumper hit something but other driver just took off. Not sure who was at fault. Bumpers were made of chrome/steel back then and no damage to my car.

I didn't report anything to anyone. Never heard a word from anyone.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:59 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,313,188 times
The requirement to report depends upon the state.
Here's a summary from the Georgia DMV.
https://www.dmv.com/ga/georgia/auto-accidents

From your post, it appears that there were no injuries, and the cost would be less than $500 to fix.
So, no, I would not report it in Georgia.

I was in a similar situation, but it was clearly their fault. In your post, I'm not sure it was totally your fault.
A hard bump from behind, a dent and some paint scratched, they kept going and I didn't report it due to it's being so minor.

Where I live, we can phone in the traffic report for non-injury accidents where the people involved agree on the circumstances. That may be available in your area.
We phoned in one after someone hit me hard and severely damaged their car but not mine (their car went under my bumper). It's useful to have a police report if you plan to use insurance to get you car repaired, and they did need that.
However, I absolutely would not use insurance to get a scrape fixed if I were a new driver.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:00 PM

431 posts, read 352,135 times
Yes, go report it to the police. Here's how it will go:

You: I accidentally hit a car and then left the scene.

Cops: Was anyone hurt?

You: No.

Cops: How much damaged occurred? Over $500 worth?

You: No, just a scratch that I rubbed out with my finger.

Cops: How about the other car?

You: I don't know. They didn't stop and left the scene.

Cops: Are you sure it was another car you hit and not a lamp post or something? How much did you have to drink at the time?

You: Uh, no it was car. I saw them drive away. I wasn't drinking.

Cops: What exactly would you like us to do? GTF out of here before you make me do a ton a paperwork for nothing!

I agree with everyone else, get some frigging driving lessons before you really do some damage or worse, hurt someone!

Old 06-02-2017, 04:09 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
Yes, go report it to the police. Here's how it will go:

You: I accidentally hit a car and then left the scene.
And your car insurance may go up. And you will have an accident on your record for the rest of your life.
And listed in all insurance companies databases.

Forever and ever and ever !

Old 06-02-2017, 05:02 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,670,979 times
that was a gift for sure..don't worry about it..dont' report it..the cops don't wanna hear about it..trust me..you better do some serious thinking on your lousy driving skills..people are getting killed all the time out there..get your chit together!..

Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
If you just got your license and already hit someone, you need to not drive again until you get more driving lessons. Seriously!

Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 PM

811 posts, read 622,031 times
OP,

Please do all of us a favor who share the road with you and give up the keys.

You aren't ready to drive yet.

Thank you.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:50 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
OP,

Please do all of us a favor who share the road with you and give up the keys.

You aren't ready to drive yet.

Thank you.
Agreed. It is not worth endangering others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive