Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 02:52 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times

Advertisements

For many automotive enthusiasts, performance automobiles are Art. They are more than sculpture & design; it includes performance. That is why some enthusiasts build a custom home to showcase that rare 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO Berlinetta in their living room. Over the top? yes -- but so is owning a rare Picasso or Rembrandt.

All of these are gorgeous pieces of art. But they are much more than art. They showcase the ability of automotive designers and engineers to push the edge of the performance envelope.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 03:03 PM

890 posts, read 882,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Not true. If you cant handle the power it can put you in a bind really quick.
Provide an example.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:25 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Provide an example.

Here you go:
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

Old 06-04-2017, 03:43 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I currently drive a 4cyl sedan that puts out 206hp and 182ft lbs tq. I have never once had a problem merging or accelerating in emergency situations.

Extreme high HP vehicles are a want. Not a need. Most of those vehicles are being driven by drivers who cant even handle the power. I've seen 4cyl honda's take these cars off of the line because the driver didn't know how to launch it and and instead smoke the tires.

To each their own. Some people prefer raw untamable HP. I personally prefer a car that offers precision handling along with accommodating hp.

That is why they make so many different kinds of cars. That Honda might get the first 20 feet, but once I hook it will be game over.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Most econobox drivers (MOST) have never driven a true high horsepower engine married to superior suspension and handling.

So you don't know the difference.

Now, even after finding out the difference, you might not care and still don't see the point. That is reasonable. But that really hasn't been my experience when I have let people drive my cars. The look on their face is usually sheer excitement. Or terror a couple times, too.

I don't need a $3000 camera bc my phone does me fine. Some people sleep on the floor and like it fine while others like pillowtop mattresses. Some people insist on a gas range whereas others can cook fine on an electric. Your TV show or your movie isn't any better just because you watch it on a home theater instead of my 65 inch flat screen. But I get that you like that. That is FUN for you.

It's about what you find to be enjoyable and important to you to have fun with your life for the tools you need to do the things you like to do.
I never have understood the concept of "fun" when it comes to cars. A car is a utility vehicle. I drive it to work, to run errands, etc. As long as I safely get to and from my destination, then that's all that's important. I have driven 6 & 8 cylinders vehicles and I can feel the extra bit of kick...but so what? I still get to the supermarket the same.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:10 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP, reason is strictly sexual. The rest is basic coverup. No one simply had enough gut to say this.
People with problems and short comings in that area always bring it up and accuse others of it. Maybe you should see a doctor instead of posting here.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:14 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I never have understood the concept of "fun" when it comes to cars. A car is a utility vehicle. I drive it to work, to run errands, etc. As long as I safely get to and from my destination, then that's all that's important. I have driven 6 & 8 cylinders vehicles and I can feel the extra bit of kick...but so what? I still get to the supermarket the same.
And there you have it, you don't get it and you're never going to get it. You're exactly the market for the Toyota Camry, a car designed for people who don't care about driving.

The second post answered your question and you ignored it because it doesn't fit your bias, but the eunuch response does.

Since you skipped it the first time:
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If we had to explain why a lot of HP is great, you wouldn't understand anyway. It has nothing to do with merging in traffic, it is that rush you get as the car pushes you back in the seat.

Either you love that feeling, or you don't. Some of us can't get enough of it. To some, a car is simply a point a to point b vehicle. To others, like me, the fun is in the driving. Kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6fc_LZLWfI

Old 06-04-2017, 04:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
The second post answered your question and you ignored it because it doesn't fit your bias, but the eunuch response does.
Dude, this is a fairly lighthearted thread. The topic isn't important enough to form a bias. Take a chill pill.

I'm not the only one who doesn't mind driving allegedly "underpowered" cars. Plenty of Camry drivers out there.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:35 PM

890 posts, read 882,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
People get killed all the time in low power cars also. It is easy to find car/motorcycle accidents where this happens.
I know men and women who drive high powered cars safely.
It is safer to have more power in two lane highway passing rather than less hp. A V8 mustang is better than a Chevette when attempting to do this.
Some people should not drive at all. Some people cannot parallel park. Some people should never try to pass on a two lane highway. Any hp is too much for some drivers.
For those who want the extra power, it can be useful in avoiding accidents.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
thats fine, drive what ever you wish. but if you really want to know what some of us see in high powered cars, then get out on the track and get some competition under your belt. even if it is a drag strip on amature night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive