Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:13 PM

890 posts, read 875,509 times

Advertisements

No. Accidents are often caused by poor drivers, whatever their car hp is. I can list many accidents of low powered cars on youtube. Does that make low powered cars dangerous?

Give me an explanation, of how having more hp in a two lane passing situation is dangerous. I can give the explanation as to why less hp is dangerous.

The point I was trying to get at is, every driver has to decide what he/she is capable of for their entire range of driving skills. Hanging out in the left lane while passing on a two lane highway is not a good idea. Saying having too much power to handle doesn't tell me anything. Who decides what is too much? A Corolla is ok, but a V6 Camry is too much? The individual driver has to decide no matter what car they are driving, that they can drive the car safely in all conditions. In answering the OP, I was explaining why I would want HP, which is the question she asked.

I asked a very simple question. If I make of list of youtube accidents of Toyotas, does that mean all Toyotas are too dangerous to drive? If I make a youtube list of red car accidents, does that mean all red cars are too dangerous to drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 08:01 PM

24,510 posts, read 18,002,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP, reason is strictly sexual. The rest is basic coverup. No one simply had enough gut to say this.
So....

"No. I don't want that girl. Too much sex."

Old 06-04-2017, 08:35 PM

13,575 posts, read 9,592,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Give me an explanation, of how having more hp in a two lane passing situation is dangerous.
There is a belief, in many circles and many contexts, that people are basically irrational, impulsive, immature and untrustworthy. Power - literal or figurative, in whatever sense - is "dangerous". Thus by this thinking for example guns are dangerous, and the more powerful the gun, the greater the danger. It isn't that gun-owners as a demographic group are irresponsible, or suffer from any particular detriment of character; all people are equally impugned, and for that reason, none can be trusted with a deadly weapon. The same reasoning applies to powerful cars or powerful anything. If humans can't be made docile, harmless and domesticated, at the very least - so goes the reasoning - they can be deprived of the power to cause grievous harm.

I don't mean to accuse the OP of this sentiment, but do wish to point out its general prevalence. By this sentiment, a powerful car isn't merely an ostentatious indulgence or a bad for the environment or whatnot... it is quite literally a threat.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:08 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,509,014 times
Quote:
No. Accidents are often caused by poor drivers, whatever their car hp is. I can list many accidents of low powered cars on youtube. Does that make low powered cars dangerous?

Give me an explanation, of how having more hp in a two lane passing situation is dangerous. I can give the explanation as to why less hp is dangerous.

The point I was trying to get at is, every driver has to decide what he/she is capable of for their entire range of driving skills. Hanging out in the left lane while passing on a two lane highway is not a good idea. Saying having too much power to handle doesn't tell me anything. Who decides what is too much? A Corolla is ok, but a V6 Camry is too much? The individual driver has to decide no matter what car they are driving, that they can drive the car safely in all conditions. In answering the OP, I was explaining why I would want HP, which is the question she asked.

I asked a very simple question. If I make of list of youtube accidents of Toyotas, does that mean all Toyotas are too dangerous to drive? If I make a youtube list of red car accidents, does that mean all red cars are too dangerous to drive?
I've seen guys in high hp cars on in a 2 lane passing situation that floored it in an attempt to pull ahead only to get the car sideways on the highway because of too much power to the rear wheels that they were unable to control.

Look, I'm not against high hp cars. They can definitely be fun. Problems arise when you put an inexperienced driver behind the wheel of one of these beasts and don't know how to control the power.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:13 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,931,540 times
So many good answers but the answer to OP's question can be summed up in one word: preference. People like what they like and sometimes there isn't a deeper explanation for it other than "I like it." I know it's easy to accuse the guy driving a lifted diesel F-250 through the streets of Orange County, CA of "compensating." I know it's tempting to assume the guy in the 450 HP Mustang/Camero/Corvette is making up for "shortages" elsewhere. But what these "explanations" ignore is the concept of preference. (Not to mention I know plenty of girls that drive big trucks and powerful cars.)

It's fun to have a fast car. It feels good to hit the gas and hear the motor roar and feel yourself being pushed back into your seat. It's not for everyone, but no matter who you are and what you like, there's something important to YOU that's also not for everyone.

While I am cautious not to accuse OP of this, I will note that questions like hers often stem from an inability or unwillingness to understand others' preferences.

When I was in college I got into a conversation with another student who was adamantly opposed to paying professional sports players the high salaries they earn. She was clearly not a sports fan and the idea of athletes getting paid what they do could trigger tantrums! The same girl often raved about her favorite bands before class and was a huge movie buff. I asked her if she objected to musicians and actors being paid so much and she was shocked I'd even suggest something so asinine. But when I tried to explain there was literally no difference between them and professional athletes because ultimately it's all just entertainment, she would have none of it. She couldn't offer a reason why it was different other than "Dude, it's totally different." Yeah. That's an argument that'll pass peer review. In her case she didn't value sports but she also didn't value others' preferences and that's why she got bent out of shape so easily at the thought of athletes being highly paid.

So, OP, it may not be the most exciting answer, and it's certainly not a deep philosophical dive into the minds of every person who pays the extra $$$ for the extra power under the hood, but its probably as accurate an answer as you're going to get to this question.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 PM

431 posts, read 349,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I never have understood the concept of "fun" when it comes to cars. A car is a utility vehicle. I drive it to work, to run errands, etc. As long as I safely get to and from my destination, then that's all that's important. I have driven 6 & 8 cylinders vehicles and I can feel the extra bit of kick...but so what? I still get to the supermarket the same.
Ever ride a rollercoaster? I'm thinking you probably don't enjoy those either and that's fine. Some of us great great joy in driving fast (in a safe manor) and it has nothing to do with sex or testosterone or impressing anyone. Not everyone has a car just to get to the supermarket or to work.

I live in a very rural area and quite often go for a drive in the Sierra Nevada mountains. There are some incredible roads with very little traffic, especially mid week. I will tell you, there are many times I laugh out loud to myself because I am having so much fun.

I have a Porsche 911 and I don't have it to impress anyone. In fact, at times I feel a bit embarrassed about driving it because of the reputation of some of the owners. The only reason I have it is because it is an incredible automobile with amazing performance. It is such a pleasure to drive.

I also ride motorcycles which gives you the same rewards.

You probably live in a crowded city where a performance car can't deliver its full potential so it does not make as much sense to own one. However, a lot of people who live in crowded cities like to get out to the country or mountains on weekends to enjoy their cars.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and to pursue their own particular interests. Some people like to go to the opera or museums, others to shows or clubs. Your original post comes off a bit condescending and arrogant with your testosterone comment. I would encourage you to try to see and understand other's points of view (tolerance) and not be so critical. In fact, next time you encounter some one with a powerful car maybe you can get them to take you for a ride. You might come back with a big smile on your face!

Old 06-04-2017, 10:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,145,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
... More power just gives you more options. Such as getting ahead of a semi in a merge lane rather than having to fall behind. More options = more safety.
Quote:
Need power for passing on a two lane highway. More power is safer. Less power is more dangerous....
I have to travel a two lane state highway every day to work. Often I have to pass slow moving trucks. When it comes to safely passing, you can never have too much power.

Riiiiiight! That's why insurance premiums are always lower for high-powered sports cars.

If you guys REALLY think horsepower = safety, you're only kidding yourselves. Can it ever get you out of a pickle? Sure, but it's more likely to get drivers in over their heads.

I like power. I grew up loving the big V8s and for 50+ years have nearly always driven fairly powerful and often sporty cars, but there was one main reason for it. It's more fun.

For the past couple years I've been driving a Prius. Love the economy of it, but I doubt I could convince many on this board that it's not underpowered. Still, our interstates around here have mostly 80 mph speed limits, and I seldom have any problem getting that little econobox up to 80 on the onramps -- and that's without full acceleration. Since most of our interstate intersections seem to have UNDERpasses for the interstate, the on ramps are more often sloped downwards, and even the Prius would easily top 100 mph before reaching the highway.

Our two-lane highways are usually 70 mph. Passing on them isn't usually a problem and no more difficult than it would be with a fast car if you intend to drive legally. (State law allows an increase of only 10 mph over the normal speed limit when passing on 2-lane roads.)

Old 06-04-2017, 10:44 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,129,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Thank you for your honesty.

Please explain it to me. From how I see it, it's YOU that's creating a potentially dangerous situation. If you are entering a highway (into the right lane) that has a speed limit of 55 mph, if you enter too fast (75 mph), you will be driving right up to the bumper of the car in front of you. Then you will either have to slow down or make a haphazardly quick lane change into the middle/left lane to avoid the car in front of you and create a safe driving distance.

Me, on the other hand, will enter at the proper speed (55 mph) and just naturally blend in with the traffic flow. For what it's worth, my car can up to speeds greater than 55 mph on the average on ramp. I just don't need to do that.
This reply of yours explains the need to create the thread.
You seem to live in a place where highways have a speed limit of 55, and no one exceeds the speed limit. But there are people who need to merge at speeds higher than that.

I owned a Chevy Aveo that took it's own sweet time accelerating beyond 45 mph. Now this car was OK while merging in the MidWest traffic. I, however, would never dare drive this car in peak traffic anywhere on the East Coast, where the slow lane traffic does 80mph.

Last edited by nirvana07; 06-04-2017 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-05-2017, 09:02 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,680,877 times
Yes, 500+ HP is just testosterone.

But these days 300-400 HP is common.

Also better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:42 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,437,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Or this ... 605 hp, 3,000 lb, 205 mph C-GT

https://youtu.be/57jLB90zhsk
my dream car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive