Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:56 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Do sellers really allow me to take the vehicle away to a mechanic? Or does the seller accompany me to do that? That can take hours; will seller put up with that?
If they want your money, sure.

If they say no, there are a lot of cars out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 09:21 AM

265 posts, read 258,984 times
Years ago, when I had a dealers license, I would legitimately sell vehicles from my residence. Even though it would be prudent for a potential buyer to have the vehicle mechanically inspected, I would not allow it. Eventually someone would just buy the vehicle after a test drive. Therefore why bother with the time and effort involved with a mechanical inspection.

Some private sellers may have the same point of view, why bother with a mechanical inspection if its not necessary to eventually sell the vehicle?

Old 06-04-2017, 12:36 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
But how much can they actually do without putting it on a lift and inspecting from underneath?
A good mechanic can check a lot on a car without the need of a lift.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
No, you would not be given the keys to the vehicle I still own to take and do whatever you think you need to do with it.
Yes, you will make an appointment with a mechanic of your choice and pay him in advance and I will take my vehicle to the shop and watch them do the inspection and wait until it is done. Then I will drive the vehicle I still own to my home while you get your report from the mechanic you have chosen and paid. Then you can let me know what your decision is.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:08 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
I doubt that I would go to that much trouble to sell a car. My cars are closer to their end of life when I sell them. The buyer is first overwhelmed when I tell them everything I know of that is wrong with the car along with everything that I think might go wrong. I want them to know what they are buying. I also point out the positives. Now they expect the worst, but on the test drive, everything works, the car functions well enough, and sells it self. Any reasonable offer is accepted.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:23 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Find an independent mechanic that the both of you can agree on for location and time.

Cost is typically around $100-125 and takes 1-1.5 hours. Definitely want to have it on a lift so they can inspect underneath.

I'm not sure if a basic check will get you a compression check, though.

This is definitely time and money well spent.

Compression tests are nowhere near as critical as they used to be when cars frequently burnt valves well before 100k miles. Also, removing the spark plugs on some vehicles can take a few hours. There is equipment that calculates compression by starter current draw but not all shops will have this, let alone a mobile buyer's check service. It is possible to hear a compression problem by disabling the car from starting and listening for a "skip" in the cranking rhythm.

A cylinder with significantly lower compression than the others will trigger a misfire code and check engine light.

Despite entrenched myth, a compression test is useless to diagnose oil burning. Bad or clogged oil control rings on the bottom of a piston either will not impact compression or can actually INCREASE compression by flooding the compression rings with oil.

Don in Austin

Old 06-04-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
If they want your money, sure.

If they say no, there are a lot of cars out there.
Right On!

Don in Austin

Old 06-04-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A good mechanic can check a lot on a car without the need of a lift.
Yes and maybe miss something too.

Don in Austin

Old 06-04-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Years ago, when I had a dealers license, I would legitimately sell vehicles from my residence. Even though it would be prudent for a potential buyer to have the vehicle mechanically inspected, I would not allow it. Eventually someone would just buy the vehicle after a test drive. Therefore why bother with the time and effort involved with a mechanical inspection.

Some private sellers may have the same point of view, why bother with a mechanical inspection if its not necessary to eventually sell the vehicle?
To get what the car is worth, which might not happen with a seller naive enough to go along with your terms.

Also it protects you from complaints that you covered something up if the car passes a pre-purchase inspection.

Don in Austin

Old 06-04-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
In my experience the seller just comes along. And I've made an appointment ahead of time.

Also have already established that I'm a serious buyer before that. Taken test drive and settled on price pending nothing major is found in inspection.
At my shop we discourage or prevent the seller coming along because we have had some that are constantly in our way and try to micro-manage how the inspection is performed. If test the clutch for slippage they try to teach me how to drive a standard, for one example. Another time I was showing the prospective buyer obvious collision damage and the seller went into an argumentative temper tantrum.

Here's the other side of the picture: we refer people to a salesman at a local Honda dealership who has great integrity and does not want to knowingly have his name on selling somebody a piece of crap. He has a porter drop off the car with instructions to "Fit it in whenever you can and let me know when to have the porter come get it. Today, tomorrow its all good!" We work it into the schedule and call him whenever we are done. We call the customer, take a CC# and e-mail him the report. This dealership's used cars are well-screened so maybe 95% of the time our report is favorable with possibly a couple of minor things that the dealership takes care of and our positive buyer's check results in a sale. We have never received any negative feedback from either the purchaser or the dealership over these inspections and this salesman get 2-3 sales/month from them. This is how the pre-purchase inspection process should work but all too often does not.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive