Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:41 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

I haven't changed the oil on my car in 2 years but I will be changing it later this summer. It can be messy & it does take time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 03:47 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You don't have to be a master mechanic to change the oil some people on here take changing their oil to the extreme, waiting for the last drop �� of oil before putting drain plug back in. On my Kia you have to take off a bottom shield to change the oil I'm not going to remove 8 screws on my back and then try to hold shield up while I'm laying on my back to replace, I take it in to the dealer I have more important things to do with my life than trying to save a few dollars. Hey it's their car they are suspose to know what their cars take.
My mom's 2016 Kia Soul also has a plastic shroud but there is a piece you snap off to reveal the oil filter. Makes it more painless.

Of course my wifes Subaru forester is the easiest car to change oil. Sits high enough so no need to lift the car. Use a Fumoto valve so quick twist and oil starts to drain. Oil filter sits on top of engine and easily accesible and to top it off, uses exactly 5 quarts. No tools needed besides oil drain bucket and a few towels.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:59 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You don't have to be a master mechanic to change the oil some people on here take changing their oil to the extreme, waiting for the last drop �� of oil before putting drain plug back in. On my Kia you have to take off a bottom shield to change the oil I'm not going to remove 8 screws on my back and then try to hold shield up while I'm laying on my back to replace, I take it in to the dealer I have more important things to do with my life than trying to save a few dollars. Hey it's their car they are suspose to know what their cars take.
My Kia dealer put in the wrong weight and spec oil on my turbo Forte for the first free oil change. So it was also the last one they did.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:26 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Free pastries and coffee, a nice lounge with tv and Wi Fi and a good looking customer service gal and $30.00 and the dealer has my business.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:18 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
In this town and others close by, there are ordnances against changing your own oil at home, washing your car, waxing it, doing any repairs or installing any equipment. There are plenty of commercial businesses who will do all those things for you, at high prices. The city governments exist for the benefit of businesses and professionals, at the expense of the public.
I don't see how a city government can say that you can't maintain your own vehicle on your own property. Do you have the city code? I'm really curious. I skimmed Eugene city codes about vehicles and all I could find were codes about abandoned vehicles. I can see an HOA making those rules, but not the city gov.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:27 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
I simply have it done when I have my yearly state inspections at the garage.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:36 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
In the past I always changed my own oil. But we were talking small trucks or cars with 4 cylinders in them. With the engines I have now I prefer to take them to get the oil changed. My wife's Expedition goes to the dealer where we bought it ($54 for a change with Motorcraft 5W-20 oil and a MC filter) plus they vacuum it out and wash it.

The 5.4L holds 6 quarts of oil. That would cost me $54.74 plus tax if I did it myself.

I let the local quick change place do the oil on my 6.7 Cummins because they do a lot of diesel oil changes and have my oil and filter on hand. I only use Shell Rotella T 15W-40 oil and Fleetguard filters (they make the Mopar filter for my truck as well). Since the truck holds 12 quarts of oil, and Rotella costs me $26/gallon the oil alone would cost $78. The Fleetguard filter is $15. So my cost would be $93, PLUS I would then have to dispose of 3 gallons of oil. They charge me $85. I actually save money.

I do change my own fuel filters on my Cummins though because there's too high of a risk of getting air in the fuel system by letting someone unfamiliar with the system do the work. It's a drop in filter and easily accessible. I change it every other oil change in about 20 minutes and the cost is $20.

I let the oil change place change the two fuel filters on my old 6.4L and it took 6 hours to bleed all the air from the lines and get the truck to start. After that, I did it myself.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:52 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Not to be overly critical of that cute little girl but she neglected to spread a small amount of oil on the filter gasket, a critical mistake as it could be very difficult to take off the next time.

Just sayin'

Old 06-08-2017, 09:00 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Not to be overly critical of that cute little girl but she neglected to spread a small amount of oil on the filter gasket, a critical mistake as it could be very difficult to take off the next time.

Just sayin'
There's always a film of the old oil on the filter housings unless you wipe it off witch I've never seen.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:39 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I haven't changed the oil on my car in 2 years but I will be changing it later this summer. It can be messy & it does take time.
This must be a joke response.

But there are real people who do not change their oil. Hate to be the person who buys this car used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive