Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 PM

3,127 posts, read 3,823,279 times

Advertisements

My father died, and left me my old 1971 Chevelle convertible. Anybody have a shop that works on hotrods?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 08:55 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,458,431 times
Sorry for your loss. Go get a basic SAE set of wrenches, sockets, you can do anything to it. They're simple. Carburetors and distributors are king of simplicity.

Want to go wild, pick up feeler gauges, timing light, cam degree wheel.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Sorry for your loss. Go get a basic SAE set of wrenches, sockets, you can do anything to it. They're simple. Carburetors and distributors are king of simplicity.

Want to go wild, pick up feeler gauges, timing light, cam degree wheel.
Thanks, we weren't that close. I've got all those tools and more. I'm just to tired to take on a new project.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:42 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,688,144 times
It looks pretty solid in the picture. What exactly needs done ? You would only need a hot rod or specialty shop if you are doing something like a full restoration, otherwise, if it just needs mechanical work, any good shop should be able to do it.

What needs done ?

Old 06-09-2017, 11:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,066 posts, read 80,100,596 times
There are many younger mechanics that are factory trained and great for newer fuel injected cars, but have never worked on a carburetor or TH350 transmission. I would suggest looking for a shop with some older guys, at least in their 50s that are familiar with the classic muscle cars. Mine, for example, is close to 60 and was a drag racer for years, and did a rebuild on my 1972 El Camino transmission. For your needs on that Chevelle, I would not go to a hotrod-muscle-car shop, they would charge more, and probably take a long time since your work would not be considered very profitable like a full restoration or resto-mod.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 PM

There is nothing exotic or special about that Chevelle, it looks pretty stock. If he ever tells us what he wants done we will have a better idea of what to tell him.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:48 PM

Sorry, just a lube, oil, filter, trans fluid and filter, rear diff fluid, brake fluid flush, gas tank flush, coolant flush, alignment...

Just basic stuff so I have a starting point. I called the usual places, but nobody wants to work on it.

I figured a hotrod shop wouldn't be afraid of a small block Chevy. I wrenchd on this thing many a day in the early 80s, now it's somebody else's turn

Old 06-10-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Sorry, just a lube, oil, filter, trans fluid and filter, rear diff fluid, brake fluid flush, gas tank flush, coolant flush, alignment...

Just basic stuff so I have a starting point. I called the usual places, but nobody wants to work on it.

I figured a hotrod shop wouldn't be afraid of a small block Chevy. I wrenchd on this thing many a day in the early 80s, now it's somebody else's turn

What do you mean they don't want to work on it............that is exactly what garages do ! The only item in that entire list that is slightly out of the norm is the gas tank flush, and even that is not something that requires a specialty shop. You should be able to find any one of a thousand garages to do those normal maintenance items on your list.

Does the car run ? How long has it been sitting with that old gas in it ? I realize California is a little different in a lot of respects, but this is not rocket science, just basic mechanics 101.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:40 AM

Every shop I called only works on cars made in the last 20 years. I don't want some kid that's never worked on an old car, pulling wrenches on it.

Most of the kids i spoke to weren't even born in 1971. This is a fully restored car. I don't want some joker learning how to work on old cars, on it.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Every shop I called only works on cars made in the last 20 years. I don't want some kid that's never worked on an old car, pulling wrenches on it.

Most of the kids i spoke to weren't even born in 1971. This is a fully restored car. I don't want some joker learning how to work on old cars, on it.

There is something missing from this story. I lived in California and it is the place where old cars are driving all over the place, they last because of the climate and the culture there. I know of NO shop that could not work on a 1971 car, it has a carburetor and distributor, as simple as they come.

I think your last line is the real story, you are being too fussy. The items you listed are as simple as they come, changing oil and fluids. EVERY garage does that kind of work, regardless of the age of the car. I know you think this car is something really special, it is not. It is simply a 1971 convertible , although it looks in nice condition. No garage is going to damage it.

I bet I could pull up a bunch of garages in Tuskin, Ca on google and a lot of them would be happy to do that very simple work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive