Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,505 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone who responded, I really appreciate so many helpful thoughts and all polite and nice (I thought I might get flamed for even asking)

I decided to just let the junk be visible because I didn't want to run out and get a new one. I took my sunshade outside to test it and it definitely glinted very heavily in the sun so unfortunately I do think it would have caused a hazard. Thanks to those who posted as much and everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 02:30 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshade View Post
I am moving across states, and driving a lot of stuff. My car is packed to the brim and rather have my back window packed with debris, I would like to put up a sunshade so that it looks neater to the person behind me.
That's a special kind of OCD right there.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
That's a special kind of OCD right there.
Hiding eyesores, a jumbled mess in a car, does not mean OCD, Sunshade.
(Obsessive compulsive disorder, for those that do not know.)

Some things are just called nice, thoughtful or considerate.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:03 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

And some things are just OCD.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:14 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
In general, the law is that so long as you have 2 side view mirrors, one on each side of the vehicle, that allow a view at least 200ft behind.. It's legal.

However.. I would question the legality of a reflective sunshade. There could be issues there with blinding drivers behind you. So.. Safety.. I'd go with a non-reflective.
Yes! I pull a trailer which limits my view out of the back window and they are the standard mirrors that came on the truck; not trailer tow mirrors. And they are legal cause the trailer is NOT a wide trailer, and I have the required x-number of feet I can see.

Years ago, some manufacturers; Cadillac Catera for one, had a rear window shade that was opened closed via a switch on the dash. But a reflective one might get the cops to stop you; if they are sitting behind you and the sun hit it just right and it blinded the cop.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:20 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
OP: Safe travels and lock your doors whether you are in or out of your vehicle.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:31 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Jeez. Really?
Yes, really. You flat out said it was illegal, and it most certainly is NOT. Don't post things if you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:33 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Years ago, some manufacturers; Cadillac Catera for one, had a rear window shade that was opened closed via a switch on the dash.
Manufacturers still do that. My Mercedes E class has the auto rear sunshade, as does my mother's S-class. It's like one of those wraps that you see blocking windows on cars that are rolling advertisements... I can still see out because it's got a lot of little holes, but no one can see in.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:11 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshade View Post
I am moving across states, and driving a lot of stuff. My car is packed to the brim and rather have my back window packed with debris, I would like to put up a sunshade so that it looks neater to the person behind me. The issue is I only have one which appears to be reflective? Though I'm not sure how much light it really does reflect, as I've never experienced a glare from it or anything- it's certainly not any kind of actual metallic material.

My question is: can I drive with said sunshade in my back window? Will it in any way reflect light or obstruct other motorists? And would it be something that could get me in trouble in any way (I already know blocking the rear window is fine)
Your concern is that you look neater to the person behind you?

For the purpose of safety, never block your rear window while driving with anything - be it a shade or junk. Do not put up a shade and keep the stuff that is packed below the level of the window, at least that portion behind you so you have a clear view.

Even if it is legal to only have sideview mirrors, most people in smaller vehicles are not used to only driving with mirrors...are YOU, OP? You could seriously misjudge and do something unsafe.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:13 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

No....it is halfway to crazy to be "considerate" to a stranger who has no concern for or reason to be concerned about the "mess" in another stranger's car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive