Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 04:25 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,939,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'll concede that the minvan isn't for everybody. See the below link. I don't think a large SUV would have helped much either.

Overloaded car in New Hampshire prompts police warning - BBC News
When I was in Afghanistan I routinely saw vehicles loaded like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,228,272 times
I think minivans are overrated. The most practical vehicle is the suburban/escalade esv. Unlike every SUV that boasts 7 passenger etc, the suburban/ESV actually can seat a full family comfortably and it's third row actually has room for adults with plenty of leg space. What's nice is the trunk is large enough to still carry strollers, groceries and other items WHILE the 3rd row is being used. They are much easier to drive than they used to be with better turn radius, fuel economy, road feel (very smooth).

Nearly every SUV/Truck/Minivan has the same problem, they become worthless when the third row is occupied.

ALSO, with the suburban/esv, they offer captains chairs which allows easy access to the third row. Not all SUV's offer captains chairs in the 2nd row such as the Mercedes GL, Range Rover, BMW X5, Audi Q7 etc, among others.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:03 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,517,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Being 30 and not married gives me a lot of panic attacks. I feel the urge to start a family as soon as possible, too bad my girlfriend just graduated from college and she wants to wait for another year.

Sometimes I feel a minivan is an over kill, but I really don't know what kind of vehicle works best for a family with one kid(okay, I don't have even have one kid yet, but I will). Sedans, even the large ones, don't seem to be easy enough to get in and out.
Panic attacks?

I would have had panick attacks if I was faced with marriage at 30.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:00 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,871,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think minivans are overrated. The most practical vehicle is the suburban/escalade esv. Unlike every SUV that boasts 7 passenger etc, the suburban/ESV actually can seat a full family comfortably and it's third row actually has room for adults with plenty of leg space. What's nice is the trunk is large enough to still carry strollers, groceries and other items WHILE the 3rd row is being used. They are much easier to drive than they used to be with better turn radius, fuel economy, road feel (very smooth).

Nearly every SUV/Truck/Minivan has the same problem, they become worthless when the third row is occupied.

ALSO, with the suburban/esv, they offer captains chairs which allows easy access to the third row. Not all SUV's offer captains chairs in the 2nd row such as the Mercedes GL, Range Rover, BMW X5, Audi Q7 etc, among others.
By that rationale, a 15 passenger van would be even more practical. The problem is it's like driving a school bus, when it's not fully loaded.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 693 times
I personally prefer station wagons because there's enough room for the kids and all their stuff goes in the back (e.g. bikes, strollers, swimming stuff) I also think the modern ones have a better drive than minivans or SUV's.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:42 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,610,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
By that rationale, a 15 passenger van would be even more practical. The problem is it's like driving a school bus, when it's not fully loaded.

Do you own one of the large SUVs? If not, you cannot say they drive like a school bus. My wife drives our Expedition every day of the year. She actually loves it because of the way it drives and handles. It doesn't get squirrely, it has minimal body roll for its size, and the suspension is smooth. Go drive a new full-size SUV and you will quickly see that they are not the SUV of old.

The ride height is comfortable and it handles like a car. Many people who have ridden with us have been impressed with the turning capability. We can pull into any parking spot at the grocery store without having to back up to straighten up.

We drove 6.5 hrs from the beach last week and didn't have to stop one time. No fatigue and no need to refuel. You can literally drive it with two fingers thanks to the electric steering rack. This is contradictory to what many people like you will say about them. Last year we drove 11.5 hours back from Orlando (Disney) and were quite happy with how comfortable and roomy it is.

As for the step debate.... it is what it is. You're going to continue to bash it's fictitious Band-Aid features because it's clear that you don't like SUVs. For those of us who enjoy their capabilities these features are quite welcomed. But... if you assume the steps are going to break "just because" then so be it. What about all the electric motor assemblies that open and close the sliding doors on a mini-van. Wouldn't it be the same thing?

Old 06-30-2017, 07:09 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,939,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Do you own one of the large SUVs? If not, you cannot say they drive like a school bus. My wife drives our Expedition every day of the year. She actually loves it because of the way it drives and handles. It doesn't get squirrely, it has minimal body roll for its size, and the suspension is smooth. Go drive a new full-size SUV and you will quickly see that they are not the SUV of old.
I think he was saying a full size passenger van drives like a school bus.

Quote:
The ride height is comfortable and it handles like a car. Many people who have ridden with us have been impressed with the turning capability. We can pull into any parking spot at the grocery store without having to back up to straighten up.

We drove 6.5 hrs from the beach last week and didn't have to stop one time. No fatigue and no need to refuel. You can literally drive it with two fingers thanks to the electric steering rack. This is contradictory to what many people like you will say about them. Last year we drove 11.5 hours back from Orlando (Disney) and were quite happy with how comfortable and roomy it is.
I agree with these points and the level of comfort and ride quality in full size SUVs. This is a long thread and a lot of people have come and gone and we've seen a lot of people complain about the way SUVs handle. I'd suggest these are commentary more on individual driving skills than a reflection of how well these newer full size SUVs handle.

What year is your Expedition? We have some friends who have a 2005 Expedition with the 5.4 V8. They've put this vehicle through some serious abuse too. First, she drives everything like she stole it! Throw in kids and the wear and tear adds up. And admittedly it's starting to show on their Expedition, but it's a 12 year old vehicle at this point. I wonder how well 2005 minivans of any make and model are holding up under similar circumstances.

Quote:
As for the step debate.... it is what it is. You're going to continue to bash it's fictitious Band-Aid features because it's clear that you don't like SUVs. For those of us who enjoy their capabilities these features are quite welcomed. But... if you assume the steps are going to break "just because" then so be it. What about all the electric motor assemblies that open and close the sliding doors on a mini-van. Wouldn't it be the same thing?
The electric motors on our van had a mind of their own. They'd open themselves randomly and didn't have a manual override. This was a huge problem because of the location of the gas cap: just behind the left sliding door. If you were pumping gas and someone opened the left side door it would just pound away at the gas nozzle. I wonder if some of the better minivans have a manual override so if you apply enough force it'll either stop the door or revert it back in the opposite direction. Regardless I tend to agree: anything that is not done manually is one more thing that can potentially go wrong.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:14 AM

1,062 posts, read 968,490 times
Quote:

I agree, plus the Suburban is more durable, can offroad, and gets the same terrible gas mileage as a minivan.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:40 AM

15,399 posts, read 25,669,091 times
Quote:

I see someone hasn't been paying attention. In my minivan, when the third row is being used, there is still plenty of space behind it for strollers, groceries, and other items. I carry a spare wheelchair back there and still have room for all of that stuff. Access to the third row is very easy too. Are you talking about older, smaller, minivans?

Old 06-30-2017, 08:34 AM

24,521 posts, read 18,032,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I see someone hasn't been paying attention. In my minivan, when the third row is being used, there is still plenty of space behind it for strollers, groceries, and other items. I carry a spare wheelchair back there and still have room for all of that stuff. Access to the third row is very easy too. Are you talking about older, smaller, minivans?
How about a Honda Civic with a receiver hitch, a small harbor freight folding trailer that usually lives folded upright in the garage, and an Rx for birth control pills to keep it to two rug rats? If you must, Thule bars and a roof pod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive