Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:28 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,919,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The SUV luggage carrying capacity often dies off, too, if they employ the third row seating.
This is true. On our vehicle if we had to haul cargo and 8 passengers it would be a tight squeeze. Fortunately that's beyond any scenario we've encountered so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 04:38 PM

15,394 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Hence the words "might" and "indication." By no means do I believe the possibility I offered is the sole definitive explanation as was presented by you and Ziggy. You both used the word "proves" which would theoretically render the matter closed. I've allowed for other explanations by avoiding such a misguided positive statement. Offering one possibility isn't the same thing as leaving other possibilities out.

Actually you don't. Go back and look at the actual statement I made:

We've had a few driveby comments from people who apparently don't like minivans but those who have made those comments have not emerged as SUV boosters either, nor have they emerged as constant contributors. Those who have, me, Tiffer, and Nlambert, have only been dismissive of minivans for our needs but each of us have acknowledged they are suitable for others' needs. I've not seen that kind of acknowledgement from the minivan boosters.

I've stated they don't work for me personally. I've actually not dismissed them across the board and have repeatedly encouraged people to get whatever is best for them. If you feel I've communicated otherwise I challenge you to quote those posts.

Much has been made about cargo space so the top carriers are a fair counter observation. And it's a fair observation because I see dozens of them throughout the week. This isn't the same thing as being dismissive.

If by "continually" you mean "used that word 'awful' one time in this entire thread to describe minvans" then yes. But applying a more conventional definition of "continually" renders this statement inaccurate. Regardless of if I've used it once or a hundred times, anytime anyone voices an opinion, (ie: "Minivans are awful.") it is relative to their own baseline. I don't like them but my opinion of them is relevant only to me. You shouldn't let my opinion ruin your day so easily.

Also, in the interest of intellectual honesty, you should also note that I recognize that I don't presume to know what's better for someone more so than they do. For example, in the same post I voiced my opinion that minivans are awful, I said:

Wasn't me, so this is irrelevant.

Before associating a post with a specific member you should take the time to review the thread. Funny how you can't recognize the "to each his own" approach to minivans that I've ACTUALLY VOICED but you'll associate me with arguments OTHER MEMBERS have made.

I'll own everything I've said on this thread, but you don't get to put words in my mouth or thoughts in my head. I'll defend every statement I've made, not the ones you WISH I made.

Again, there's no "possibly." Critique my actual arguments. What you've done here is cheaper than a Tijuana *****.

Clearly, you missed the entire point I made because you think I was talking only about you. You said something about SUV posters not really posting dismissive statements minivans, including those who drive them. I provided examples of both sides doing so. It's impossible to keep track of who said what. When it comes at you from so many sides. I tried to use words to make it clear that I do not know who said specific things. The tone of your posts leads me to the conclusion that you are agreement with those who do so. If you are not, great, but it's hard to tell.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:23 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,919,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Clearly, you missed the entire point I made because you think I was talking only about you. You said something about SUV posters not really posting dismissive statements minivans, including those who drive them. I provided examples of both sides doing so. It's impossible to keep track of who said what. When it comes at you from so many sides.
As I've already pointed out, those who said disparaging things about minivan drivers have not been positively identified as SUV drivers. You're assuming they are but you have no way of proving it unless they return to this discussion and tell us they drive SUVs. Until then I'll consider them neither of the "both sides" but rather a third party.

Oh, and don't give me this "it's impossible to keep track" line. All the posts are here for anyone interested in an honest discussion. If you're too lazy to go back and see who said what you should leave those posts out of the discussion instead of associating those comments with people who didn't make them. Incidentally a couple days ago it was pointed out that the minivan boosters seem to be the aggressors in this thread. You claimed the "both sides" argument and told me to review the thread. I did give it a review and as I said earlier: the established SUV drivers have communicated why they don't drive minivans but acknowledged they may work for others. We've not received that type of courtesy in return.

I encourage you to give the thread a review too. if that's not too difficult for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I tried to use words to make it clear that I do not know who said specific things. The tone of your posts leads me to the conclusion that you are agreement with those who do so. If you are not, great, but it's hard to tell.
Let me get this straight: I give you specific examples of things I've actually said, even quoted from this very thread, and still "it's hard to tell?"

That's...interesting...

Last edited by iknowftbll; 07-07-2017 at 05:41 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 06:02 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,164,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
No SUV drives like a Mazda Miata.
Shrug. Maybe not the ones you can afford.

My SUV equals a Miata in roadholding g's, obliterates one in acceleration and top speed, and they're basically tied in braking from 70-0. Pretty sure my stock SUV is much faster around a track than any stock Miata.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:37 AM

15,394 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
As I've already pointed out, those who said disparaging things about minivan drivers have not been positively identified as SUV drivers. You're assuming they are but you have no way of proving it unless they return to this discussion and tell us they drive SUVs. Until then I'll consider them neither of the "both sides" but rather a third party.

Oh, and don't give me this "it's impossible to keep track" line. All the posts are here for anyone interested in an honest discussion. If you're too lazy to go back and see who said what you should leave those posts out of the discussion instead of associating those comments with people who didn't make them. Incidentally a couple days ago it was pointed out that the minivan boosters seem to be the aggressors in this thread. You claimed the "both sides" argument and told me to review the thread. I did give it a review and as I said earlier: the established SUV drivers have communicated why they don't drive minivans but acknowledged they may work for others. We've not received that type of courtesy in return.

I encourage you to give the thread a review too. if that's not too difficult for you.

Let me get this straight: I give you specific examples of things I've actually said, even quoted from this very thread, and still "it's hard to tell?"

That's...interesting...
You seem pretty aggressive here. Who is the aggressor again? Relax it's not worth my time to dig through this thread for every detail. By the way, I do agree some minivan boosters were aggressors. I have said so several times. I'm the one that likes both minivans and SUVs.

I'm in this thread to discuss minivans. I'm not interested in debating games. You can play those with someone else.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,439 times
All this talk about minivans is making me miss mine! I have forgotten about the vacuum, the second set of AC controls in the back, for passengers to set the temperature, the removable seats, the amazing comfort of those huge seats, the automatic doors! But, I still will stay with my Outback because the gas mileage is so much better and and the Subaru is more adaptable to different types of terrain and weather conditions.

Now, let's acknowledge something: there are very specific stereotypes about cars and what kind of people like them. Does everyone who drives a minivan is a soccer mom? obviously that is impossible but the truth is I only bought a minivan when I had children to take around and I got rid of it when I went down to only one child at home. There is the Subaru Outback, for example, there are at least five stereotypes about people that drives them. I do not fit all of them but I fit at least one of them. Actually, Subaru, purposely cater to very specific groups. So, I don't let stereotypes guide my life but I also acknowledge that my choice of car might tell people out there where I stand on politics, the environment, and much more. Have a great day everybody!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:14 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,588,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The SUV luggage carrying capacity often dies off, too, if they employ the third row seating.

Not nearly as much. Go back through the thread and you will find my post where I listed the spec of a full size suv's carrying capacity vs a minivans. There is quite a difference with the 3rd row seats deployed in many instances.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,459,855 times
Vans and trucks are overrated lol. My brother and bil always get on me to get a van for the family and my wife and I are just not keen on them. I posted this to them yesterday after a party, had to return tables/chairs.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:09 AM

6,585 posts, read 5,828,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Vans and trucks are overrated lol. My brother and bil always get on me to get a van for the family and my wife and I are just not keen on them. I posted this to them yesterday after a party, had to return tables/chairs.
What if it rains?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:25 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What if it rains?
I had a pickup and i could cover the load with a tarp to keep contents in the bed dry and i could pull a trailer at the same time, a pickup is the most versatile vehicle. You can carry a major appliances and save on delivery charges, you and If you have a full size SUV you have to have a trailer in order to carry a big loads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive