Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:11 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Part swapping is more like it.
They don't employ mechanics.
They don't tune or adjust anything.
We have a Tires Plus at the corner that I use for flats etc. Asked him if they do big stuff too, like pulling heads or alike. He said they have a master mechanic who can handle anything and he visits them once or twice a week. At the moment I have an engine problem on my 98 Explorer that my otherwise competent mechanic has given up on. He wants to pursue several possibilities but doesn't guarantee any of it. I guess that's how old cars die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 10:46 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Tune up funny haven't herd that word since points and condenser were replaced by electronic ignition. Lots of garages had to scrap their large scopes since they didn't have to set the tack and dwell anymore. Tune ups were a moneymaker for franshise shops like Percision tune. And for those old enough to remember rust proofing companies like Zbart another one hit wonder they didn't last long either, tuneup brings me back to my youth.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
For convenience, I took one of my past cars to Pep Boys a few times and would never do it again. Their employees come and go. There's no ownership, so to speak, of the work done. I now find a local shop with a good reputation, where I will be talking straight to the owner/mechanic, and faithfully take my vehicle to them. Even if it's less convenient and more money.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:31 AM

505 posts, read 848,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
For convenience, I took one of my past cars to Pep Boys a few times and would never do it again. Their employees come and go. There's no ownership, so to speak, of the work done. I now find a local shop with a good reputation, where I will be talking straight to the owner/mechanic, and faithfully take my vehicle to them. Even if it's less convenient and more money.
This is why I ditched chain shops a long time ago. A revolving door of employees doesn't inspire much confidence. I prefer speaking with the mechanic directly instead of a gatekeeper service advisor who doesn't know a lick about cars and is just trying to upsell me a BS $199 "fuel system cleaning." This is why I like my indy shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive