Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 04:27 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Has anyone here owned a vehicle that has gone into limp mode? And what was the problem? And what was the fix?
I've had 2 cars go into limp mode.

First was a 2002 BMW M3. One of the Bosch ignition coils had gone bad. Turns out there was a recall on these and all were replaced under warranty by the dealer

Second was a 2011 BMW M3. One of the throttle body actuators had failed. This is a high-failure part on these cars. . . one that I wish that I would have known about before buying it. There are 2, one for each cylinder bank, and the part costs $800+ from the dealer. Total bill to replace 2 is over $2500, parts and labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 05:42 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
What is limp mode? And does your car have it?

Limp mode means that the car is not getting a needed feedback signal from a sensor, e.g. the oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold.

When that happens, the car uses a predetermined map of outputs to keep the car going. It might reduce the power or functions and it illuminates the "check engine" lamp.

The purpose is to enable the customer to get home without damaging the engine.

All modern cars have this.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:27 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Last time I had a car go into limp mode, it kept engine RPMs under 3000, and it only used 2nd gear. 2nd gear protect the transmission from further damage, 3000rpm protects the motor.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:02 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
I had never heard of "limp mode" until I got a letter from Hyundai a few months ago telling me of a new knock sensor detection system software update for my 2017 Sonata. I read the letter with much skepticism and assumed initially that this "limp mode" thing was unique to Hyundai due to its recent history of engine failures. The letter talked about putting the car in "limp mode" upon detection of vibrations caused by bearing wear.

Most here and most online sources talk about "limp mode" as though it has been around forever. It hasn't. In a quick search, I could find no solid information tracing its origin. Strange.

Prior to getting that letter from Hyundai, I thought I had good reason to believe that they had put their engine manufacturing problems behind them and that my 2017 had a bright future of reliability ahead. They had previously stated that the engine seizure issues were limited to 2011-2014 models.

I no longer trust them with this insistence that my car needs this new software, along with the model years previously known and admitted to have issues.

Yet another reason to look back fondly at the era when sudden engine seizures were rarer than fatal lightning strikes. My lease ends next June and I've stepped up my search for a replacement. One thing I can say for sure is that my next car will not have a "limp mode".

Old 07-05-2019, 11:13 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
One thing I can say for sure is that my next car will not have a "limp mode".
Guess you'll be buying something well over 10 years old.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Guess you'll be buying something well over 10 years old.
Indeed....my ideal would be nothing newer than '75 so as to be CA smog exempt. But I'd settle for an 80s GM G-body or, of course, a Ford Panther....if I could only find the right combo of color, condition, vintage, and price.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:31 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
My 2005 Ford Escape computer $hit the bed but I could drive it slow/stuttering/shaking/twitching home some 5 miles, then next day start it up and drive it some 10 miles to a repair shop. I believe that is Limp Mode.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:05 PM

672 posts, read 699,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I had never heard of "limp mode" until I got a letter from Hyundai a few months ago telling me of a new knock sensor detection system software update for my 2017 Sonata. I read the letter with much skepticism and assumed initially that this "limp mode" thing was unique to Hyundai due to its recent history of engine failures. The letter talked about putting the car in "limp mode" upon detection of vibrations caused by bearing wear.

Most here and most online sources talk about "limp mode" as though it has been around forever. It hasn't. In a quick search, I could find no solid information tracing its origin. Strange.

My mid 90's Buick had a limp mode. In fact it went into limp mode once, when my knock sensor wires, were shorting out on the oil pan. It's a function on cars that's been around for awhile. Practically any car with a knock sensor will have a limp mode.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
My mid 90's Buick had a limp mode. In fact it went into limp mode once, when my knock sensor wires, were shorting out on the oil pan. It's a function on cars that's been around for awhile. Practically any car with a knock sensor will have a limp mode.
I gather that is about when much of this technology emerged. On my timeline, that is very new since most of my automotive experience and most of my cars pre-date that.

My last 2 cars prior to my current Sonata were '95 Ford Panthers, a Crown Vic and a Lincoln Town Car. To the best of my knowledge, no panthers ever had a limp mode. Lots of check engine codes, yes, but never a "limp mode". I retired a '71 Bonneville when I bought my Crown Vic. The last thing a Pontiac 455 would ever do is limp.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:28 AM

128 posts, read 66,160 times
Limp mode is a security function for your engine and transmission. ... The limp mode does often reduce the power and limit the RPM of the engine so you can drive your car to a workshop without damaging the engine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive