Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
But if she was doing the same exact thing on the navigation console built into her car that would be perfectly ok?
No, in the OP's location, anything that distracts you from focusing on driving is a violation. Taking your focus away from driving to use the vehicle's built in infotainment system is a violation. The law is multi part and they address specific items for clarity.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Making a call in your car while it is parked is dangerous? Give me a break. Now you are just being ridiculous.
OP wasn't parked.
Being parked at a red light would be dangerous and illegal, so the OP is due a ticket no matter what.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yeah, that's ridiculous. I'm all about not using phones while driving. But when I had a blowout in the carpool lane of the 405, I sure as heck did not get out of my car to make the call for help. And it's a good thing my phone was not in the trunk either, because going out to fetch it with cars blowing past me at 80 mph would have been flirting with death. The tow truck arrived but I had to communicate with the driver by phone because he couldn't get out in that location, either. We waited until CHP arrived to run a traffic break so we could all get over to the right shoulder. That kind of situation is exactly why people legitimately don't want to "throw their phones in the river" and go back to the bad old days.
I belive every law written regarding using a device while driving has an exemption for emergencies and break downs.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's ridiculous. I'm all about not using phones while driving. But when I had a blowout in the carpool lane of the 405, I sure as heck did not get out of my car to make the call for help. And it's a good thing my phone was not in the trunk either, because going out to fetch it with cars blowing past me at 80 mph would have been flirting with death. The tow truck arrived but I had to communicate with the driver by phone because he couldn't get out in that location, either. We waited until CHP arrived to run a traffic break so we could all get over to the right shoulder. That kind of situation is exactly why people legitimately don't want to "throw their phones in the river" and go back to the bad old days.
That's legal use of the phone.

Quote:
The only exception to the hands-free rule is when the device is being used to contact emergency services,...

Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
No, in the OP's location, anything that distracts you from focusing on driving is a violation. Taking your focus away from driving to use the vehicle's built in infotainment system is a violation. The law is multi part and they address specific items for clarity.
Incorrect per the law:

Quote:
Mounting a cellphone on your dashboard around eye level and using it on speakerphone is legal. You can even press it once to answer a call and one more time to hang up, because similarly to a GPS, your eyes are still somewhat on the road.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:23 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Yeah, people get so brainwashed by this type of thing. Cell phone + car = bad. Of course it's not that simple. A quick glance at your phone at a red light is totally harmless. Trying to send a text message while your car is in motion is insanity. But it's easier for cops to spot the infraction while the driver is stopped at a red light. So those are the ones that get the ticket, and the really dangerous drivers get away, as always happens. So the law accomplishes nothing except to raise revenue for the government.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Nah, never happens.
Cops have a second brain that allows them to multitask in ways that us mere mortals can not.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
OP wasn't parked.
Being parked at a red light would be dangerous and illegal, so the OP is due a ticket no matter what.
I was addressing the contention, that people should not even be able to make a phone call from inside their car. Which is just dumb.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Next time wear more appreciative clothing.

Oh wait, that's not the correct answer.

Here, the cell phone laws have been all over the news and signs posted.

Might be time for one of those new fangled cars with blueteeth or whatever it is called.
Or one with a clock

Old 06-19-2017, 10:51 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I was addressing the contention, that people should not even be able to make a phone call from inside their car. Which is just dumb.
People's dumb behavior is what prompted these types of laws to begin with, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive