Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:56 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,820,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenu View Post
Who carries Kumho brand?
Dealer Locator - Kumho Tire USA, Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 03:04 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
I tried that, bought Michelin LTX's for my truck. 3 years and 40k later, half worn, but tires needed replacing, due to dry rot. Have my fingers crossed that Michelin will stand behind their product. But if they drag their feet any longer (been 3 weeks already!) then I'll never buy them again. That will make 3 sets of tires that I was less than pleased with.
If you got dry rot in NH within 3 years, then you purchased tires that were old stock.
Tire Safety: Expiration Dates - eXtension

Old 06-20-2017, 03:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,996 times
What abt Toyo tires? I'm looking at these for my 2003 vw beetle...

sorry, just seemed like a good time to ask..thx.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:33 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
I tried that, bought Michelin LTX's for my truck. 3 years and 40k later, half worn, but tires needed replacing, due to dry rot.
Something is really bad with those tires !
3 years and dry rot ?
They should last at least 5 years, mileage not taking into account, before dry rot starts !

Did you happen to check how old those tires were, when the dealer put them on your truck ?

I buy new tires every 5-6 years, regardless of mileage, and never had cracks or dry rot at all.
I just know that normally, they last 5-6 years at least and should be OK for time length.

When I do buy new ones I make sure that they are NOT older than 4 months !
You can check the codes on the tires to make sure !!

As I mentioned above, I can not afford to buy cheapo tires for my wife who takes the grand kids on all kinds of outings ...

Old 06-20-2017, 05:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,996 times
Good advice!! ^^^^
Where are the codes listed on the tire?
Thx.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Good advice!! ^^^^
Where are the codes listed on the tire?
Thx.
Check this :

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...-of-your-tires

Also read this:
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...ication-number
Then ask yourself, *Did I ever register my tires ?*

And this:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how...our-tires.html
To figure out long tires actually are OK to use ...

In the end -- Your choice, your life, or the life of your loved ones !

Old 06-21-2017, 05:51 AM

421 posts, read 544,016 times
Date code was 2513. So they are 4 years old. I put them on end of 2013, so less than 4 years of service.

FWIW, I took the tires back about 3 weeks ago. They have been shipped to NC (or somesuch) where Michelin will inspect. Mind you, it's been 3 weeks. I'm still waiting to hear if I will get a prorate. I don't expect "instant" warranty coverage but 3 weeks? It's getting to the point where I don't care what I get from them, I'm starting to be ready to be a former (and vocal) Michelin owner.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Date code was 2513. So they are 4 years old. I put them on end of 2013, so less than 4 years of service.
Yep definitively something wrong with those tires.
No way only 4 years of service, and then cracked rubber !
They should have lasted at least 6 years without visible cracks !
I do not blame you to get upset with Michelin. !!

Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Quote:

FWIW, I took the tires back about 3 weeks ago. They have been shipped to NC (or somesuch) where Michelin will inspect. Mind you, it's been 3 weeks. I'm still waiting to hear if I will get a prorate. I don't expect "instant" warranty coverage but 3 weeks? It's getting to the point where I don't care what I get from them, I'm starting to be ready to be a former (and vocal) Michelin owner.
that's why its good to just buy from Costco.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:01 AM

421 posts, read 544,016 times
Yeah, I went to a semi-local shop, wanted to try them out. I had bought a couple sets of tires online, for cheapest route; that worked ok but I thought, gee why not pay a bit more and use a shop and have a warranty? So much for that idea. I think I'll go back to mailorder and taking my chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive