Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:10 PM

154 posts, read 176,713 times

Advertisements

Most of the new car dealers here in California park two cars at each entrance so you can't drop your car off for service at night. The RV dealers do that too.

But when I was in Texas a few years ago by Dallas, the dealer lot was open. So I drove into the covered service valet area at 10:00 PM and slept in my car until 6 AM to make sure I was first in line.

My question is why do some dealers block off the entrances at night? How are you supposed to drop off your car??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
To minimize theft and keep vehicles from driving around the lot and causing damage.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:16 PM

154 posts, read 176,713 times
Thanks! How are you supposed to drop your car off for service and use the early bird key drop then?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
Thanks! How are you supposed to drop your car off for service and use the early bird key drop then?
you dont.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:36 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
My dealer requires appointments for service, unless you bring it by randomly when they are open. I guess I could drop it off after-hours and hide key. I couldn't believe how often thefts occurred when it wasn't open and company didn't do anything to prevent it. I got this info from the mechanics. These are not cheap vehicles either.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:26 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,913 times
Quote:
Here are your options that I can think of off of the top of my head...

-Offer to pay for a security company to sit there during their off hours.
-Hire a helicopter or crane service to lift your car over the blocked entrance.
-Break into the vehicles that are blocking the entrance and move them out of the way.
-Bring your vehicle there during their regular business hours.

I'm sure there's more. Hopefully you can find an option which works suitably for you. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2017, 06:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Quote:
Most of the new car dealers here in California park two cars at each entrance so you can't drop your car off for service at night. The RV dealers do that too.

But when I was in Texas a few years ago by Dallas, the dealer lot was open. So I drove into the covered service valet area at 10:00 PM and slept in my car until 6 AM to make sure I was first in line.

My question is why do some dealers block off the entrances at night? How are you supposed to drop off your car??

They are attempting to keep car thieves from rolling a van into the lot at stripping the cars of tires, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRE0jhV7nmE

Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
They are attempting to keep car thieves from rolling a van into the lot at stripping the cars of tires, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRE0jhV7nmE
There was a Mercedes CLA with one off factory rims (only two sets in our state) stolen from back area of my dealer. When they left they dropped the car with no blocks. Caused $9k+ in damages and sat for a few weeks that way. They couldn't figure out how to pick it up without damaging even more. That's when I learned the cameras didn't work and things like this happened a decent amount. They are currently building a new dealership, so investing in old they figure isn't worth it to them (then again the owner also owns the MN Twins and always have been cheap asses)

A guy next to my shop sells cars, he parks them 6 inches apart from next car, impossible to get at rims without pulling vehicle out.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
It depends on the dealer. In my area, there are dealers who block off their lots and some who don't and they are a mile apart.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:

My question is why do some dealers block off the entrances at night?
Maybe to keep homeless people from sleeping in their cars in the lot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive