Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:05 AM

421 posts, read 543,737 times

Advertisements

If I had everything else taken care of, I'd look next to what my plans were. Do I want to take care of the vehicle; or do I want to hand it back after 2-3 years and get something else? Can't take it with me, so if I'm loaded with money, I might enjoy having a "new-ish" toy on a regular basis. But if I just wanted something more upscale yet was going to turn my own wrenches, I'd probably avoid German. They can be finicky--some don't mind, some do.

Personally... I try to avoid the bells and whistles. Hard to go back once you've had a particular feature. Also I think I prefer to spend my money elsewhere: it's one thing to spend money to get good reliable wheels, and another to go past that into the "hey check out my cool ride". Vacations, hosting parties, outdoor recreational equipment... all of those have similar lousy ROI's yet seem to be much more satisfying. YMMV but that's where I'd rather spend money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 06:17 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
Also I think I prefer to spend my money elsewhere: it's one thing to spend money to get good reliable wheels, and another to go past that into the "hey check out my cool ride". Vacations, hosting parties, outdoor recreational equipment... all of those have similar lousy ROI's yet seem to be much more satisfying. YMMV but that's where I'd rather spend money.

Why just limit it to one or the other? I've had (and have) both, fun, cool, GERMAN vehicles and vacations, parties and an RV for camping. Here's three of my toys in one shot: both BMWs and the RV in the background.

It's like you can have all the money in the world, but you think that if you do get a fun car, it'll take up all your time and money so you can't do anything else in life. That's just wrong headed.

I get it, most here on this forum are not car people. They don't like or enjoy cars and car related activities (like going with the family to a Saturday morning Cars & Coffee event or spending a Sunday at the track) and so don't value time spent with them at all. And they don't know enough about cars in general to make an informed decision about them.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:26 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,246,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
If I could I'd have a warehouse full of interesting cars.
I'd probably have a warehouse full of weird cars.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I'd probably have a warehouse full of weird cars.

My first would be a big block Pinto, then a Gordini-engined Renault 4CV, and it would be even more interesting from there. lol! A Caterham, '90s Cutlass Ciera wagon with Syclone AWD drivetrain under it, etc...

Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 AM

421 posts, read 543,737 times
Quote:
Why just limit it to one or the other? I've had (and have) both, fun, cool, GERMAN vehicles and vacations, parties and an RV for camping. Here's three of my toys in one shot: both BMWs and the RV in the background.

It's like you can have all the money in the world, but you think that if you do get a fun car, it'll take up all your time and money so you can't do anything else in life. That's just wrong headed.

I get it, most here on this forum are not car people. They don't like or enjoy cars and car related activities (like going with the family to a Saturday morning Cars & Coffee event or spending a Sunday at the track) and so don't value time spent with them at all. And they don't know enough about cars in general to make an informed decision about them.
I'm not ahead in life so it's hard to think like that.

I did have a fun car, had a Jetta TDi which I bought new 'cuz I loved it. Loved the handling, the power, leather, etc. All the same, gave it up with rust holes and in need of a few grand in repairs after 314k. I doubted my ability to work on the engine, and knew I couldn't find anyone local who would do better. Over 11 years, since I didn't have a good place to work on it, I spent nearly $11k in repairs (not maintenance), honestly I've never figured out if that was a good buy or not--during that period I did manage to stop buying new cars every few years, but I think the cost was just the same.

I picked up my '99 Camry and felt like a teen again, doing tires, struts, timing belt. Did all that out in the driveway (it rained while doing the TB!). Felt rather good. Now I have a vehicle that I don't mind if it gets a ding in a parking lot.

These days all I do is work or family things. Having to "constantly" fix a fun car will raise the ire of me or the wife. We're constantly on the move it seems--taking the kids to this or that--so reliable is the new fun. [She drives 25k/year, I do over 30k.] I know it's a common shot that people who buy Toyota's hate driving and/or cars; but sometimes I wonder if I truly hate cars&driving if I willingly do so much of it.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:46 AM

6 posts, read 4,001 times
If you like it, buy whatever suits your fancy!

Old 06-21-2017, 07:35 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If all the necessities are covered buy what you want. You can't take it with you.
I tend to agree with this.

Why does the answer have to be "either or?"

The thing is, on this site, ask 10 people and get 10 opinions and 10 ways to justify it.

And, you have to consider your personality/tolerances as well.

Some People, like Tiffer E38 would sooner drive a slightly older European luxury car. He enjoys it and has no problem maintaining it.

Others, don't care one iota for bells and whistles, but refuse to inherit someone else's problems and simply want reliability, and who cares if its as exciting as an almond colored refrigerator.

Another faction will tell you to buy a few years old, to take the sting of initial depreciation out...

Some people buy beaters of one sort or another, considering, to paraphrase Warren Buffet, buying a beater is "like picking up a discarded cigar butt that had one puff remaining in it. Though the stub might be ugly and soggy, the puff would be free. Once that momentary pleasure was enjoyed, however, no more could be expected..." Look for StealthRabbit's posts about his VW Diesels he collects.

Still others say, "I contribute to my retirement (or not), and I'm going to drive a nice car in the here and now."

And others don't care about a premier marque but want new and nice, and buy a loaded Toyota or Honda or Hyundai or whatever.

OP, something tells me that no matter what you do, you aren't going to end up poor or without enough money.

Here is What you need to ask yourself:

Will I enjoy the car, or will my guilt and anxiety at driving or maintaining it prevent my joy?

Everyone has a different comfort zone.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:28 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I prefer to remain incognito.

I bought a used 2012 Ford Fusion. It's a fine car. It gets me where I want to go.

If I drove a rich guy's car like a Jaguar or Mercedes, somebody might think that they could benefit by assaulting me. I'd rather remain invisible.
Agreed.

All I want is a good comfortable reliable vehicle.

The rest is fluff or status.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Agreed.

All I want is a good comfortable reliable vehicle.

The rest is fluff or status.

Not really true.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:20 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Not really true.
It is to some people. I'm not saying that the chasis and handling of most BMW's isn't real and tangible. I am saying that its not relevant to some people.

My dad wouldn't buy a Toyota Minivan for my mom, but did buy a Honda van, because the suspension was so well sorted (4 wheel independent suspension) that it didn't feel like driving most vans.

But other people couldn't care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive