Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times

Advertisements

if one reads a little more background on this then the following information comes up: This happened in Sept 2016, she put down $2000 on a credit card and fully paid it off by the next cycle, the balance due was $10,000 and the car has been repossessed and sold off at auction already.

That being said, anyone who's gotten a in-house rental knows it's one form to fill out. While purchasing a car is over a half dozen forms, plus calling one's insurance company to change cars on it.

The video states it just happened, yet this article states differently.

Car dealership duped elderly woman into buying car she didn't want: lawsuit - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Shivers visited Napleton Lincoln around Sept. 13 to get her Lincoln serviced, according to her lawsuit. Told that her car needed $700 in maintenance and repairs, the retired nurse approved the fixes and decided to kill time walking around the dealership.
And there is :

Quote:
The dealership has contacted June Shivers' lawyer and asked for documentation on her memory problems, said Gene Kennedy, Napleton Lincoln's general manager.

"Unfortunately, that request was flatly denied unless first agreeing to a 'substantial settlement,'
It's a pretty long time between Sept 2016 and June 2017 to claim elder abuse when it sounds more like buyers remorse.

And fwiw this is a 2005 Lincoln LS which has a load of controls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT0UgWX5hS0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 12:45 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Lesson to be learned never let Alzheimer Nanna go out alone. She's spending your inheritance.
And until the will is read and executed, it's still her money to do with what she damn well pleases.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Some of these sales people are experts at manipulation and deception. You don't have to me mentally deficient to fall for their tricks. Sometimes you have to just walk away from them while they are still speaking. You are in a vulnerable position if they have your car in for service. The lady may still drive ok and be mentally competent. They tricked her.
I had one (female no less) service writer try to talk me into buying a new car after they stripped the threads from my oil pan during a change. She tried to play on the fact that my car was 10 years old at the time; it's now 12 and still has plenty of life left in it. I refused, plus I ripped her several new ones for suggesting that I replace the entire pan rather than them just re-threading it (which is what they ended up doing).

I don't let that place do any actual work on my car anymore, outside of the 20 free oil changes that I purchased as part of their Platinum Rewards Card that I got when I bought the car from them (I have 4 left), plus free NYS inspections (also on the PRC). If they find anything, I just say thanks, and bring it elsewhere to actually have the work done.

I wouldn't buy from them again anyway. Their finance dept. screwed up the Sales Tax.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:54 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,136,209 times
My dad once went test drove a V6 Sonata, only for them to turn around and sell him a 4cyl version while he thought he was buying a v6, so he had to drive 9hrs back to the dealer to get the 6cyl version, when I pointed out they sold him a 4cyl.
So goes to show the dealers will screw over a senior citizen too and not even think twice about it.

Not all car salesmen are scum, but there are some really sleazy ones out there.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
While purchasing a car is over a half dozen forms, plus calling one's insurance company to change cars on it.
When I bought my last car, the dealership handled everything for me, including the registration transfer with the DMV and swapping the insurance. All I had to do for my insurance was to have the photo inspection done (which they require here for used cars).

I still have all of the sales paperwork, and there is a LOT of it.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:22 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,080,512 times
Napleton. That doesn't surprise me.

Have a close friend who worked for their Korean branded stores. The experience was awful enough for her to take a 33% pay cut and work elsewhere. This among many other awful stories about the Napleton dealership group.

Worked for a company that did business with them a few months ago. Good were delivered, services completed. Payment not received.

As ow as dealerships are, Napleton sets a new low.

There's a special place in hell reserved for Hitler, Stalin, Marx, Mao, Yoko Ono and the Napleton auto group.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:28 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Some of these sales people are experts at manipulation and deception. You don't have to me mentally deficient to fall for their tricks. Sometimes you have to just walk away from them while they are still speaking. You are in a vulnerable position if they have your car in for service. The lady may still drive ok and be mentally competent. They tricked her.
I'll bet many younger men got talked into buying a car that they realized the next day they could not afford. Ashamed to admit it though.

It doesn't make them incompetent to drive, though.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
I'm around a lot of seniors in the 80 to 100+ age group...

They all drive and most are extremely trusting.

By drive I mean to the market and church.

The man next door as a mint 10 year old Acura that he drives weekly at age 99... averages a 1000 miles annually and just renewed his driver's license and is accident free.

On the other hand... he would be easy prey for slick talking salesman... he is just very trusting and never thinks bad about anyone... I could see something like this happening to him.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:04 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times
Can someone explain to me how the bank that provided the car loan is at fault here, as the woman's lawsuit claims? All they did was process the signed paperwork that was sent to them by the dealer. "Citizens Bank should have known the contract was unfair and that June Shivers was 85 years old, the lawsuit alleges." Is the bank supposed to independently kick the tires on every trade-in to make sure the loan applicant is getting a fair price for it? Or is the lawsuit alleging that loans shouldn't be provided to the elderly, thereby prompting counterclaims of age discrimination?

Old 06-22-2017, 03:30 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
When I bought my last car, the dealership handled everything for me, including the registration transfer with the DMV and swapping the insurance. All I had to do for my insurance was to have the photo inspection done (which they require here for used cars).

I still have all of the sales paperwork, and there is a LOT of it.
And how many times did you sign your name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive