Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
And how many times did you sign your name?
I signed my name to the following:

NYS DMV Retail Certificate of Sale
Delivery paperwork
Application for the Platinum Rewards Card
Odometer and Damage Disclosure Statement for NYS DMV
Phoenix American Pre-Owned Service Contract
NY State Dealer Limited Used Passenger Vehicle Warranty

Note that 3 of those documents are required by NYS DMV.

Also, when you receive your formal registration document in the mail, you have to sign that, too, and keep it in the car.

If her state is as thorough as mine is, there is NO WAY IN HELL she didn't know she was purchasing a car. Either that or she is gullible enough that she signs things without being cognizant about what she is signing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 06:40 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
If her state is as thorough as mine is, there is NO WAY IN HELL she didn't know she was purchasing a car. Either that or she is gullible enough that she signs things without being cognizant about what she is signing.
Which means her next oops will be driving through restaurant, killing a mother and 2 children, while trying to park in the handicap space!

Old 06-22-2017, 06:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:

She's a retired Nurse so she should have been on automatic not to sign anything placed in front of her without reading it first.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:46 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
At first I couldn't understand all the comments supporting the car salesman. WTH. But then I saw the woman's photo. Hmmmm. Maybe that explains all the lack of support?

Car salesmen are the lowest people on Earth. They are fast talkers and they'll say anything to make a sale. Something went very wrong at the dealership that day, and I doubt very much it was the old woman's fault. Elderly people aren't as savvy to the slimy tactics used to deceive people today.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:03 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
At first I couldn't understand all the comments supporting the car salesman. WTH. But then I saw the woman's photo. Hmmmm. Maybe that explains all the lack of support?

Car salesmen are the lowest people on Earth. They are fast talkers and they'll say anything to make a sale. Something went very wrong at the dealership that day, and I doubt very much it was the old woman's fault. Elderly people aren't as savvy to the slimy tactics used to deceive people today.
What was wrong was her signing a bunch of papers without reading them first. How can you NOT sign a bill of sale without reading at the top of the page that it is a bill of sale???? There are papers to be signed for the financing as well. And you receive carbons of everything, or photocopies. If they don't offer, request them. I still have my copies from when I bought my last car - in a dealership sale - that's how I was able to answer Pruzhany when asked how many times I signed my name.

If she were to read the headings on every paper she signed for this car, she'd see she has no case. Maybe she should have done some reading before signing.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:24 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Having dealt with people with cognitive issues, who are much younger that that lady, I can definitely understand some being duped into buying a car in the way this incident apparently happened. Their cognitive issues do not stop them from being able to drive. Yes, they could easily sign a Bill of sale and not know what it is for.

An example of a sleazy dealer taking advantage (true story): a man with cognitive issues took his Honda CRV in for an oil change. When he left, he had new tires, brakes, wipers, and a whole host of other completely unnecessary work. His oil change cost $1600+ dollars! He didn't need any of the stuff they did. He just wanted an oil change. Of course, he paid with a check which blounced because he didn't have enough money to pay. His family, that lives 4 states away now, made a deal with a local mechanic to call them first whenever he brings his car in to avoid the sleazy dealer. Despite these mental issues, he is a safe driver. At least they didn't try to sell him a car.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:28 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
What was wrong was her signing a bunch of papers without reading them first. How can you NOT sign a bill of sale without reading at the top of the page that it is a bill of sale???? There are papers to be signed for the financing as well. And you receive carbons of everything, or photocopies. If they don't offer, request them. I still have my copies from when I bought my last car - in a dealership sale - that's how I was able to answer Pruzhany when asked how many times I signed my name.

If she were to read the headings on every paper she signed for this car, she'd see she has no case. Maybe she should have done some reading before signing.
Even reading just the headings should have told her that she was buying a car. And didn't she have to sign her own title over to the dealer?

The story says she and her son returned to the dealership the following day to try to return the car. In NH, there's a law that you have two or three days to return a car and void the deal. Does Illinois have a similar law? If so, I'd think the dealership is liable for failing to comply, regardless of the circumstances surrounding the purchase. And where was the son when her car was being repossessed for non-payment? She would have been better off selling it and starting over than hanging onto it for months while the attorneys run up billable hours.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Even reading just the headings should have told her that she was buying a car. And didn't she have to sign her own title over to the dealer?

The story says she and her son returned to the dealership the following day to try to return the car. In NH, there's a law that you have two or three days to return a car and void the deal. Does Illinois have a similar law? If so, I'd think the dealership is liable for failing to comply, regardless of the circumstances surrounding the purchase. And where was the son when her car was being repossessed for non-payment? She would have been better off selling it and starting over than hanging onto it for months while the attorneys run up billable hours.
No, it doesn't and the woman's story has numerous holes in it.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

An example of a sleazy dealer taking advantage (true story): a man with cognitive issues took his Honda CRV in for an oil change. When he left, he had new tires, brakes, wipers, and a whole host of other completely unnecessary work. His oil change cost $1600+ dollars! He didn't need any of the stuff they did. He just wanted an oil change. Of course, he paid with a check which bounced because he didn't have enough money to pay. His family, that lives 4 states away now, made a deal with a local mechanic to call them first whenever he brings his car in to avoid the sleazy dealer. Despite these mental issues, he is a safe driver. At least they didn't try to sell him a car.
One doesn't need cognitive issues for this to happen. It happens 100's of times per day to people who simply know nothing about their cars. And it happens at all education and all age groups.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:15 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
One doesn't need cognitive issues for this to happen. It happens 100's of times per day to people who simply know nothing about their cars. And it happens at all education and all age groups.
Yes, but the guy with cognitive issues will not know he was duped. Most people will eventually figure out they were taken advantage of, but the person with cognitive issues can't figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive