Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 04:57 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,513,951 times

Advertisements

I posted about this before, but this may be the better section to ask. I wanted to get something to park in front of my house to keep my neighbor from parking there , but since I don't drive I don't have anything to really put there to keep them from parking there, so I basically just wanted to get the cheapest thing possible that I can put there, like a trailer. I looked before on cl, but they were $500+. Well, I looked again and now there are a bunch that are cheaper that I like, either the flatbed type or the pickup bed type, that I think look cool.

I've seen other trailers around parked on the street, even just a block over, so I assume it's fine...unless maybe it's really ugly or something. And people park their boats or junky cars on the street, so I don't really see why there would be an issue. I guess the main concern is, that someone could steal it, since there would be nothing parked in front of it. It's a pretty quiet, safe area, but still...there is a tree that I could lock it up to, but I'm not sure if that's really legal, or would raise more suspicion about it being parked there...the police don't really go by here, so unless someone complained...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 05:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
you can buy a kit trailer from harbor freight fairly cheap, like around $300 for a 4x8 unit.

however i doubt that will end the issue. perhaps a call to the local police will resolve the matter, especially if he is blocking or partially blocking your driveway.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:18 PM

I'm not really sure what that is (don't really know much about this stuff). but I did see several on CL for around that price or cheaper, so I figured I would go with that.

I doubt there is anything they can do, as was pointed out in the previous thread, "people can park anywhere they want". No, he's not blocking anything, it's just annoying because he parks on the side of his driveway next to my house, rather than the other side where there is at least 3x's more room, thus I don't like their car being so close to my house, and having to hear their car door slamming right outside my window, when they have plenty of room to park in front of their own house.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
so you have no idea what one of these is?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...ler-62648.html

Old 06-23-2017, 07:58 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
You should at least check the laws on street parking in your city. Where I live a vehicle (or trailer) parked on any street can only legally set there for three days without being moved. Like in your city, the police don't bother with them until there's a complaint. I had a 5th wheel camper that I often left parked on the street in front of my house for a week at a time, and one of my neighbors called the cops to complain. They tagged it, stating it had to be moved in 3 days, and marked the tires. After three days I drove it around the block and parked it in the same place for another couple days until we were leaving for a camping trip. I had another place I normally parked it (paid parking lot for campers and boats), but sometimes I parked it on the street to work on it or because we were planning another camping trip the following weekend. (I felt a little bad about "cheating" the system by just driving it around the block and parking it again, but I also thought the neighbor was a douche for calling the cops instead of just asking me not to park it there.)

Anyway, before you buy a trailer just to take up space, you might want to double-check the ordinances about parking on the street and any time limits. I think most cities do have time limits, whether they're normally enforced or not.

Oh, and you can get a do-hicky that locks into the trailer hitch that prevents it being hitched onto a ball -- simply fills the ball receptor until you unlock and remove it. I used to have one for my boat trailer.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Seriously? So you are not talking about someone parking on the street in front of your house, right? This neighbor is parking on his own property in a position that annoys you?
"Just so I understand"
no, he's not parking "on his property", he's parking on the street close to my house (rather than on the street in front of his own house). the street is not anyone's "property"

Old 06-23-2017, 10:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
no, he's not parking "on his property", he's parking on the street close to my house (rather than on the street in front of his own house). the street is not anyone's "property"
Exactly, that's why he has a perfect right to park there. Here no car or trailer can remain in the same place on the street more than 72 hours, or will be ticketed, and trailers must be behind a fence. Check your local laws before trying it. I'm on a corner, and have people park on the side street often, when visiting neighbors, but I don't care or even see them usually. In any city anything parked on the street must have current license sticker, so it will cost you for that too. Craigslist has cheap trailers all the time.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:17 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Yeah, you probably can't park a trailer in the street. Check local regulations.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:10 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,398,910 times
So you would rather than have a cheap, junky trailer parked in front of your house instead of your neighbor's car? Yeah you're gonna have to explain this to me.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:47 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times
Line the front of your yard with big rocks / boulders......or a Picket Fence to fancy up the place a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive