Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:29 AM

712 posts, read 555,104 times

Advertisements

I am just 4'10 and have to sit so close to the steering wheel to touch the gas peddle and I actually have to push the seat back in order to get out. I often worry if I were to have an accident the air bag will certainly kill me or hurt me badly.

I wish so much that cars and the law would allow one as short as I am to disable it while driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:04 AM

17,301 posts, read 12,245,675 times
If you can't position yourself more than 10 inches from the steering wheel then you can legally have an on/off switch installed.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If you can't position yourself more than 10 inches from the steering wheel then you can legally have an on/off switch installed.
No way is it 10 inches maybe 5 at the most. My legs are short

Old 06-26-2017, 01:25 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Two other options. First off, my wife is your height but she's longer in the legs than torso so her problem is seeing over the dashboard.

First option is to get pedal extensions. They're little blocks that attach to the gas and brake pedals. This will allow you to move the seat back.

Second option is to buy a car with adjustable steering wheel and power seats. Took a lot of tries before my wife found a car that allows her to reach the pedals without the steering wheel up to her chest. I hate her car, but the driver's seat fits her. 2007 Chrysler Sebring Touring with 2.4L 4 cylinder. It's the buzziest 4 cylinder engine I've ever driven and is slow acceleration even with 173 HP.

Talk to your local dealership for your vehicle for options for your vehicle including an airbag off switch.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Talk to your local dealership for your vehicle for options for your vehicle including an airbag off switch.
No dealership would ever install a switch for disabling the driver's airbag. Against the law and opens a can of worms from a legal liability perspective. Not going to happen. You can disable your own airbag at your own risk. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a video on how to do it.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:10 PM

17,301 posts, read 12,245,675 times
It's not against the law in cases of medical conditions or where the distance between air bag cover and driver's breastbone is less than 10 inches. Exemption does have to be filed though.
https://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles...noffswitch.pdf

Old 06-26-2017, 03:42 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Two other options. First off, my wife is your height but she's longer in the legs than torso so her problem is seeing over the dashboard.

First option is to get pedal extensions. They're little blocks that attach to the gas and brake pedals. This will allow you to move the seat back.

Second option is to buy a car with adjustable steering wheel and power seats. Took a lot of tries before my wife found a car that allows her to reach the pedals without the steering wheel up to her chest. I hate her car, but the driver's seat fits her. 2007 Chrysler Sebring Touring with 2.4L 4 cylinder. It's the buzziest 4 cylinder engine I've ever driven and is slow acceleration even with 173 HP.

Pedal extensions are a good idea. That's what I was thinking. My sister-in-law had countless fender benders before the seat cushion and extensions.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:46 AM

Peddle extensions might work but I still fear the air bag in the passenger seat. My husband does most of the driving and the most driving I do is to the grocery store.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:55 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
I don't know if they're still offered but Ford had adjustable pedals on several models. We got them on a couple cars as an option for Mrs. NBP who is 4'11". She now has a Forester and drives it with no problem without adjustable pedals.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:32 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
No dealership would ever install a switch for disabling the driver's airbag. Against the law and opens a can of worms from a legal liability perspective. Not going to happen. You can disable your own airbag at your own risk. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a video on how to do it.

Maybe up north it is illegal but none of the states I have lived in. Many vehicles have switches installed already for the passenger side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive