Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,363 times

Advertisements

The left lane is for passing. Move over unless you are passing people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 10:38 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
The left lane is for passing. Move over unless you are passing people.

Simply stated and right to the point!

Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That first paragraph is wrong. You do not have enough information to determine that they were blocking the left lane. They could have been passing someone before the other car came up behind them. If they are passing they are not blocking the left lane.
If it was possible for them to merge over and get out of the way which they did...they were using the left lane improperly.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL, I think people are just comfortable at a certain speed and end up back there. Like when you go to pass someone and they speed up. I've learned to just go ahead and race around them, because they will go back to their comfort speed. But, they hate the idea of people wanting to pass them.

In your case, maybe they were just grooving to some music and got heavy footed for a minute, but then when they got to you, went back to their comfort speed.

If they get irritating enough, I just slow way down and make them go around me, and act like I'm messing with the radio or something so they won't get all road rage on me.

The funny thing is, if someone was to get a ticket, it would probably be the guy behind you anyway lol. My daughter got a speeding ticket once and complained to the cop, "Why didn't he go after the other guys in front of me going just as fast?" He said something along the lines of it s*cks to be the gazelle at the back of the herd...lol"
I have a tendency to speed up when people try to pass me

In my experience, it's happens most frequently with drivers of larger automobiles. They speed up to jump in front of me but then don't go nearly as fast as they were previously. I'm going 65, they're racing and go 75 mph, then I speed up a bit, then they go 80+ to pass me only to slow way down and end up slamming on their brakes because they didn't notice the car in front of me.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:53 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I have a tendency to speed up when people try to pass me

nice way to start road rage that way. I would make sure you at least saw my 1 finger salute as I went around you.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:35 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
I just set the cruise to 70-75 and let them get the tickets. Who knows, maybe these chronic speeders have gotten so many tickets, they've set aside an allotment each paycheck to get ready to pay them.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:34 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I'm talking about interstate driving.....
I tend to speed -- but have slowed down as I've gotten older.

It boggles my mind when I seen a line of cars all following one another. I get out of that situation as soon as I can.
ESPECIALLY when it's on a MAJOR highway and the left hand lane is slowed so eventually I pass on the right in the center lane, and the lead car's driver -- FOR MILES in that left lane -- is on the frigging PHONE.

You mean to tell me the first car behind him didn't see that and it never dawned on him or her to just go around. And the second car? And the third car back didn't think what the heck is the slow down? I was something like the sixth car back. NO ONE in front of me thought to move around and see what the deal is???
Anyway.....

During the day when there's more traffic I'm in the middle or left lane passing.
But a lot of my driving is late night and overnight. That's when you might find me in any lane. I'm in whichever lane I can stay in the longest and coast (or fly along) unimpeded -- and also unrushed from behind.

Personally, I can't stay behind a car closing my up but for so long. Some days when I know I had plenty of time, and let's say my exit is coming up in two miles. I'll think: You've got time, the exit is just two miles up, stay behind grandpa -- going 50 on the INTERSTATE......but about a mile into it, with a mile to go I can't take it anymore and I going around -- I pass...Which of course in the daytime likely means now I have an less than a mile to go all the way to the left lane -- around the cars in the center lane also-- and come back to the right for my exit.

I just can't stay poking along but for so long. I feel like I'm wasting my time. I get antsy. I feel like there's no reason to be going that slowly....I'm thinking "really pops?"

Old 06-28-2017, 01:27 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What I find annoying are those who drive in the left lane when not passing and believe they are doing you a favor when they move to the right lane where they belong so you can pass them.

I hear that, my sentiments exactly.
We get the same thing happening over here, only difference being that it happens on the left, as we drive on the left.
One thing in your favour, is that it's legal to pass on the left or the right of a slower moving vehicle in the U.S.
Over here, on an M-Way, (like an interstate), it's illegal to 'undertake.'
This means that on a 3 lane road, if someone sits in the middle lane at say 60, the only legal way to overtake them, means that you have to switch from the left lane, (remember, this is U.K.) to the centre lane, then over to the far right lane to get past them, then slide over 2 lanes to get back to the left.
Personally, I usually scan the rear views intently for cops, then nudge the gas and go past in the left lane, particularly when I was driving 18 wheelers, they're banned from a lot of M-Way fast lanes here.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:41 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I hear that, my sentiments exactly.
We get the same thing happening over here, only difference being that it happens on the left, as we drive on the left.
One thing in your favour, is that it's legal to pass on the left or the right of a slower moving vehicle in the U.S.
Over here, on an M-Way, (like an interstate), it's illegal to 'undertake.'
This means that on a 3 lane road, if someone sits in the middle lane at say 60, the only legal way to overtake them, means that you have to switch from the left lane, (remember, this is U.K.) to the centre lane, then over to the far right lane to get past them, then slide over 2 lanes to get back to the left.
Personally, I usually scan the rear views intently for cops, then nudge the gas and go past in the left lane, particularly when I was driving 18 wheelers, they're banned from a lot of M-Way fast lanes here.
In metro-Boston, passing left lane bandits who are texting or on their cell phone on the right is an everyday thing. About half the drivers passing will give them the middle finger. You'll occasionally see somebody toss a beer bottle at their windshield as they're passing on the right.

I used to be a habitual speeder. Enthusiastic enforcement of the speed limits to generate revenue has forced me to slow down. I set the adaptive cruise control to speed limit + 9 mph these days. As a former speeder, I'm very aware of my rear mirror and get out of the way as soon as I can when somebody is rolling up behind me at high speed. Speed limit + 9 seems to be invisible at speed traps. I roll through them constantly and have never had an issue. If Waze tells me there's a cop ahead, I'll click the speed down a few mph.

I usually drive speed limit + 4 on secondary roads. That really pisses off the monster pickups and full size SUVs. All I see in my rear mirror is a huge grille.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
The OP wrote to me stating they did not block the left lane.

I have always agreed that that the left lane should be for passing only.
When you drive in the left lane when you are not passing, you are blocking that lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive