Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:12 PM

242 posts, read 351,081 times

Advertisements

My wife has an Audi A5 convertible and like most women she doesn't like her hair getting messy. She uses the windscreen constantly and I have to say it does a really good job of cutting down the wind. I'm taller than her and I still get a little bit of wind at the top of my head, but it doesn't bother me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:14 PM

14,314 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I've always liked them. Back around 1995 I told my husband, who was working for a BMW dealership at the time, that I wanted a Z3. He said, wait until they are old and inexpensive and then you can get one.

22 years and three kids later.... In January a customer brought his Z4 into my husband's shop. He had run over something on the road, cracked the transmission case, and his insurance had totaled it. Hubby bought it for $1500 and fixed it with parts he happened to have lying around (that's a long story).

So, I finally got my convertible this year. I love it. Being able to jump in a two-seater and head off somewhere alone feels GREAT. I call it my midlife crisis car, lol.

Now, it has a hard top (or I don't think my husband would even have considered it). We took the top off for a while and it was very fun to tool around town topless. But, I tried that on the freeway once and the wind and noise was awful. I made it to the next exit, got off and put the rag top back up. Never again at those speeds.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
I hate that my 6'7 self won't fit in an S2000.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:27 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Convertibles have their place. A highway at high noon when it's 98 degrees or bumper to bumper traffic isn't one of those times you should have the top down.
At sunrise and sunset, driving 55 mph on a two lane winding road, sure.

Rule of thumb, if you hate the idea of a convertible, the place you live is most likely lame and you want to be insulated from it as much as possible.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:32 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I like the IDEA of a convertible, and they are fun for a while, but I think the novelty wears off. I also live in an absurdly hot climate. Most of the time, it's just too darn hot to have the top down. And even if you could deal with that, the sun would burn you to a crisp.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:44 PM

431 posts, read 352,307 times
I love my convertible but then, I also love riding my motorcycles. The 'vert is not a daily driver though and gets used mostly for fun drives up in the mountains and twisty roads in nice weather.

For those that say the sun will burn you to a crisp, do you not go outside during the day? I'm an avid outdoors man and do a lot of hiking, mountain biking, boating, motorcycling, etc so am outdoors most of the time. The sun does not bother me at all.

I do understand that everyone is different and some people would prefer to stay inside. I used to live in SoCal and it would get so hot that I would not put the top down on the car unless it was evening/night time or I was cruising up the coast.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:54 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Depends on the car.

Recently drove a new 5.0L Mustang convertible, and I loved it. I could put one of those in my garage.

I couldn't own a convertible as an every-day car though.

Yeah I'm with you. Not for every day driving but for weekends I'd love it. In fact I was once considering that Mustang as a second car, you can get them pretty cheap if you are OK with a car with 90,000 miles on it which I am.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:07 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah I'm with you. Not for every day driving but for weekends I'd love it. In fact I was once considering that Mustang as a second car, you can get them pretty cheap if you are OK with a car with 90,000 miles on it which I am.
You guys do realize the top goes back up don't you? It's not a permanent open roadster or anything.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I have been tempted to buy a Solstice/Sky with the removable hardtop before, but I could never buy a ragtop convertible, just too much of a maintenance headache.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:15 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Love them.. I have owned more convertbles than cars with roofs. I use them as commuters as well. I also have a more practical vehicle at home... Better for running errands and hauling.

Owned Jeep wranglers, three Miata, audi tt, mustang a few others and currently a solstice.

I rarely have maintenance problems with the rag top. They depreciate more than most body types so that means more top down affordable fun for me.

It is all personal preference...

When it is late at night.... Everyone is asleep.. .. On a clear night... Nothing relaxes me as much as cruising through a quiet road, top down, tunes, and clear star filled sky.

Last edited by usayit; 06-27-2017 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive