Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 10:26 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,732,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I would buy a Gen III, 2010 and up, model Prius vs. the Gen II personally.

I agree about buying a Prius from a more moderate climate state - especially the excessive heat tends to kill batteries. Places like AZ and southern mid-western states would be a poor choice.

Prius' tend to be severely discounted at the 100k mile timeframe because of the battery issue. It's not something to take lightly but just know odds are it will last quite a while, and come replacement time they are less than the cost of a transmission of a normal car these days. When ours goes on our 2010 (110k on it now) I plan to replace with a lipo of higher capacity to make it plug-in.
As someone who just finished shopping for a used Prius, I can tell you that this is not the case today.

Maybe it's rising gas prices - I don't know for sure.

I ended up spending about $3,000 more than I planned, because while I needed a good used car, I was VERY uncomfortable buying a Prius with 100,000+ miles. I ended up with a newer Prius with low miles (22,000 miles).

If you go to Car Gurus or one of those sites and look up the price of used Prius' (with 100,000+ miles), they're fairly high (in my opinion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 05:59 PM

991 posts, read 1,221,163 times
I replaced the 12-volt battery last Fall ... Doing it for the first time, and have a limited hand tools, it definitely was not a "few minutes job" ... It probably took me about 1 hour (actually watching that same video), and I did have to go buy a few different tools as it's back in the passenger side rear corner and not exactly easy to get at. The battery from an O'Reilly Auto Parts store was $100-ish.

I got the car for free with a 100,000 miles ... now it has about 130,000 miles. Haven't seen any issues with the drivetrain main battery. It's just used to run around town and commute to work. I would never buy one, but the price was right.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:10 PM

1,700 posts, read 4,099,616 times
I wouldn't buy a used Prius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0F5e-lrlWQ

Old 05-11-2018, 11:35 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,197,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
They lied to her face. Couldn't have robbed her any better if they used a mask and a gun.
Other than unplugging those two extra wires (that don't even require tools) it's exactly the same as my former '01 Miata.
A no skills required job if there ever was one.
Mechanics who do this should be arrested and charged with theft as if they were committing an actual crime. Might be useful for people not car savvy to record what their mechanic tells them with their phones and then cross check the information.. if they blatantly overcharge by $600 there should be consequences for that.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:25 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,581,113 times
Usually when you take the car to the dealer they can test the hybrid battery. Since it’s guaranteed for 100k take the car in at 90k and have it checked. If the test shows little life left, the dealer should replace it under warranty. Waiting can cost you. You can buy reconditioned batteries. Not usually sold at the dealership. Look it up on the internet. I usually only buy hybrids and have never had a problem. They use Prius as taxi cabs and Camry hybrids also. That can’t be that big of a problem. They put a lot of miles on them.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,328,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
As someone who just finished shopping for a used Prius, I can tell you that this is not the case today.

Maybe it's rising gas prices - I don't know for sure.

I ended up spending about $3,000 more than I planned, because while I needed a good used car, I was VERY uncomfortable buying a Prius with 100,000+ miles. I ended up with a newer Prius with low miles (22,000 miles).

If you go to Car Gurus or one of those sites and look up the price of used Prius' (with 100,000+ miles), they're fairly high (in my opinion).
I guess I don't consider $7000-$8000 a lot or high for that car even with 100k on them. Ours driven conservatively still gets close to 50 mpg, even being eight years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive