Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 04:32 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times

Advertisements

Being a car guy, I'm tired of boring cars. But I am caught in a struggle because I think very practically vs all of our typical American friends who blows money on the best and most expensive car they can get. Every person I talk to and every review I read online praises the VW GTI, for a fun to drive car, practical and fairly good cargo room. I am looking to replace my current compact car and would this German car be a good choice? I test drove it and it is awesome! The build quality is very good despite what they say about it being Mexico-built, VERY good material quality, and the neighbors have no complaints either with their GTIs. I drive about 15,000 miles a year (mostly highway), but I buy my cars-not lease, and keep them for at least 10 years. So the reliability would be a concern with regard to buying a GTI.

I guess I'm concerned about German reliability coming from a Toyota Corolla. Again, I like cars, I like driving, I drive a lot for work, and I feel like I should get something that is a little more "exciting." My first choice would actually be an Audi A4 or Audi S4, but I am trying to save some money for other house upgrades and maintenance (and kids' college) and thought the GTI would be great. It's time to move to "fun to drive" cars - you only live once so why buy a super boring car?

I would be buying a NEW VW GTI off the lot. Do people on this board have GTIs and what year, how has your experience been?

Last edited by Universe93B; 07-01-2017 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 05:20 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
You could also look at the new Honda Civic, Mazda3, Kia Forte5, the new Hyundai Elantra GT, and other sporty compacts that offer a sport model of their base car.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Ive got an MK6 (2013)GTI, aside from a battery, and a water pump replaced under warranty/recall, the car has been rock solid. By all counts the MK7 is an even better car.

Last edited by Me007gold; 07-01-2017 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 05:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
the VW is a nice car, and probably one i would consider were i in the market for a new car. i would also consider the focus st as well.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:18 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Being a car guy, I'm tired of boring cars. But I am caught in a struggle because I think very practically vs all of our typical American friends who blows money on the best and most expensive car they can get. Every person I talk to and every review I read online praises the VW GTI, for a fun to drive car, practical and fairly good cargo room. I am looking to replace my current compact car and would this German car be a good choice? I test drove it and it is awesome! The build quality is very good despite what they say about it being Mexico-built, VERY good material quality, and the neighbors have no complaints either with their GTIs. I drive about 15,000 miles a year (mostly highway), but I buy my cars-not lease, and keep them for at least 10 years. So the reliability would be a concern with regard to buying a GTI.

I guess I'm concerned about German reliability coming from a Toyota Corolla. Again, I like cars, I like driving, I drive a lot for work, and I feel like I should get something that is a little more "exciting." My first choice would actually be an Audi A4 or Audi S4, but I am trying to save some money for other house upgrades and maintenance (and kids' college) and thought the GTI would be great. It's time to move to "fun to drive" cars - you only live once so why buy a super boring car?

I would be buying a NEW VW GTI off the lot. Do people on this board have GTIs and what year, how has your experience been?

The part in bold you could have left out. You can't say all people are blowing their money, and it's their money if they are blowing it. That part sound like a hater, so please don't be that.

I was exactly where you are at one time in my life, but as life went on things got better over time. Do the best that you can do. Like your car by the way.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:30 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
If you'd consider a coupe...

https://www.toyota.com/86/

Old 07-01-2017, 08:38 PM

6,550 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

This doesn't make any sense... Go with new GTI or Golf R
2017 VW Golf R Performance Hatchback | Volkswagen

Old 07-01-2017, 10:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Better start a large repair fund so when your warranty expires you can afford the expensive parts and repairs.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Better start a large repair fund so when your warranty expires you can afford the expensive parts and repairs.
What he said.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:35 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
You want exciting?

Get a sportbike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive