Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:57 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It only lasted a few years because it was an ugly and unreliable piece of s$#$# What you don't get is that Tesla made the first mass produced electric vehicle that not only looked amazing (contrary to nearly every other American car) but was roomy, had great safety features and was functional in multiple ways.

Diesel is toxic to the environment and an outdated technology. Like with any technology, it has been surpassed. As electric vehicles become increasingly common, they will become cheaper to produce and we are observing that.

You are not fooling anyone. Your true reason behind your support of gasoline engines and GM is due to cultural ones. For many, a true vehicle is one in which the engine can be heard and is made by General Motors or Ford. That is certainly endearing from a nostalgic sense albeit one that is utterly absurd and irrational.
I understand and agree with your post, but isn't the Tesla manufactured here in the U.S.A.? (You mentioned the cultural thing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 02:16 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I understand and agree with your post, but isn't the Tesla manufactured here in the U.S.A.? (You mentioned the cultural thing)
Cultural meaning the OP is set on GM and Ford because those are the American manufactured vehicles he grew up with. For many like him, they don't recognize Tesla as being "American" because they are so different from GM and Ford vehicles.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:20 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times
Quote:
Cultural meaning the OP is set on GM and Ford because those are the American manufactured vehicles he grew up with. For many like him, they don't recognize Tesla as being "American" because they are so different from GM and Ford vehicles.
OK...I agree. Well, people said the same about the horse carriage and the Model T, radio & T.V., land lines & cell phones....and we see how all that turned out....lol

Old 07-12-2017, 04:26 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Demeaning others isn't how one gets people to change their point of view.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:50 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Read this my good man. Can GM produce them better looking, more luxurious and faster than Tesla, I don't think so.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=727&t=6
But can Tesla mass produce a afortable car like GM can I don't think so, GM has the edge with mass production.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:01 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
It only lasted a few years because it was an ugly and unreliable piece of s$#$# What you don't get is that Tesla made the first mass produced electric vehicle that not only looked amazing (contrary to nearly every other American car) but was roomy, had great safety features and was functional in multiple ways.

Diesel is toxic to the environment and an outdated technology. Like with any technology, it has been surpassed. As electric vehicles become increasingly common, they will become cheaper to produce and we are observing that.

You are not fooling anyone. Your true reason behind your support of gasoline engines and GM is due to cultural ones. For many, a true vehicle is one in which the engine can be heard and is made by General Motors or Ford. That is certainly endearing from a nostalgic sense albeit one that is utterly absurd and irrational.
Until gas prices get so high that people can't afford it then maybe Tesla will sell more cars but until then a gasoline engine vehicle will always reign supreme. Hey azriverfan do you own a electric car. And how much is the cheapest Tesla is it cheaper than the chevy Bolt, or the ELR, or the Volt I think not. Right now Tesla has lost so much money because energy prices are so low that buying a Tesla doesn't make any sense with gas so cheap.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Until gas prices get so high that people can't afford it then maybe Tesla will sell more cars but until then a gasoline engine vehicle will always reign supreme. Hey azriverfan do you own a electric car. And how much is the cheapest Tesla is it cheaper than the chevy Bolt, or the ELR, or the Volt I think not. Right now Tesla has lost so much money because energy prices are so low that buying a Tesla doesn't make any sense with gas so cheap.
The new Tesla is roughly the same price as the Bolt. The ELR is discontinued.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
MOST problems with the Teslas can be fixed over the air with software, as there aren't really any mechanical bits to fail like on an ICE car (no complex gas engines or transmissions). For minor mechanical repairs (like suspension bushings, brakes, or the like) they have mobile repair trucks for those too far away from service centers (and there's a major hub service center opening in Detroit for Michigan owners)

Again, it's just not a big deal and you guys who have never owned one are literally making up things to complain about that you'd NEVER even TRY to think up for gas powered cars. Like constantly needing to drive several states away on a moments notice for sick relatives. Really? You do that often enough it's a big deal to you? Move closer to your relatives if you need to do that on a regular basis.

And needing to charge rapidly. It really is a paradigm shift when you can start out every day with a full tank. You realize just how little you actually need rapid charging like rapid fillups in a gas car. You NEED the convenience of a rapid fillup in a gas car because you can't fill it up at home, and HAVE to go somewhere else to fill the tank.
This is a bandaid, not an actual selling point. For a car with few moving parts, Tesla's have a poor track record of reliability.
https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.c...1788170049/amp
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...ter-night.aspx

Tesla apparently oversells that whole over the air update thing.
Point is Tesla offers nothing that a regular car doesn't already offer. Autopilot, huge touch screens, and over the air updates are not restricted to EVs.
Saying you get to start off each morning with a full tank is a solution to a problem nobody is claiming to have. It pales in comparison to the extreme range differences that you do t have to put up with on a regular car. Going with larger wheel options kills range, as does cold weather, heater use, speed, terrain elevations and battery age. With a normal car this is of negligible effect, but in a $100k car you could fimd yourself able to get somewhere but not get back because a cold front came through in the middle of the night.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Do you know what those problems tend to be? Things like vibration in the tires, rear tires wearing out faster, door handles that sometimes fail to pop out, but RARELY does anything happen that strands the car. There are no braking issues, rarely is there a motor issue, and so far no "transmission" issues (since they really have no transmissions). Now, the X has massive problems with the Falcon doors, which were a stupid addition to that car. But the S? Not so much. Your link in fact does not spell out the problems, nor does it refute anything I said.

From Tesla to their service departments: “Since more than 80 percent of our repairs are so minor that they can be done remotely, we are expanding our mobile repair service that allows Tesla to make vehicle repairs at an owner’s home or office.” And you know what's mostly stocked in those vans? Tires.

Gee, since I actually HAVE knowledge and expereince with the cars. That makes me a fanboi? You're a riot, eaton. Sit in your Merkur and make vroom vroom noises some more. Yes, I love EVs, and will replace my BMW with a pure EV when it's time. And yeah, I think that Tesla is doing something no one else in the American automotive industry has done in close to a century: enter it and make more than a handful of cars without interference from the Big 3. (read about Tucker sometime). I like to root for a homegrown company like that. Elon may be egotistical at times, but he's not making kit cars out of a garage in Encino... (which is about the extent of so many other startup "Car companies.")
A car company can't figure out how to make a non vibrating suspension? Should have bought a Kia and save the hassle.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
In the not-too-distant future, the trucks will indeed be electric. Tesla has talked about their Semi Tractors and their Pickup Truck.
Tesla's late to the party. https://nikolamotor.com/one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive