Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

I prefer Toyotas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 06:40 PM

890 posts, read 882,141 times
Default Too much competition in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
How can they go bust when there are a billion Chinese who want to buy Buicks?
"It's not about the imports anyway"
Chinese domestic manufacturers will take market share from GM in China. Plus every other major car/truck manufacturer wants to increase sales in China. Secondly, as GM shifts US production to China and S Korea, they lose the reason so many customers of theirs in the US buy GM.

It looks like GM has the number 6 (Buick) and number 10 (Chevrolet) best selling cars in China in 2014.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...ustry_in_China

"In 2016, sales by Chinese brands in the country's PV segment hit 10.529 million units, up 20.5% and accounting for around 43.2% of China's PV market. "
http://blog.ihs.com/chinese-vehicle-...16%2C-up-14-yy

China by far has the largest new car market in the world. Around 40% of VW sales are in China.

Last edited by Graywhiskers; 07-04-2017 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 09:02 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Right now my husband has a Dodge Dakota and I have a Mitsubishi Outlander. We typically buy foreign vehicles as they just seem to work better and last longer. The only reason why my husband bought the Dodge was because he was in an accident and totaled his Nissan Frontier (that truck literally saved his life). We were in a time crunch to find a new vehicle and came across the Dodge at a great price. So far it's been good, but he's already looking at the Frontiers for the near future!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:09 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Chinese domestic manufacturers will take market share from GM in China.
You underestimate Buick's appeal there.
Also, Wuling is a GM joint venture.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:20 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Chinese domestic manufacturers will take market share from GM in China. Plus every other major car/truck manufacturer wants to increase sales in China. Secondly, as GM shifts US production to China and S Korea, they lose the reason so many customers of theirs in the US buy GM.

It looks like GM has the number 6 (Buick) and number 10 (Chevrolet) best selling cars in China in 2014.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...ustry_in_China

"In 2016, sales by Chinese brands in the country's PV segment hit 10.529 million units, up 20.5% and accounting for around 43.2% of China's PV market. "
IHS Markit Automotive Blog | Chinese vehicle sales hit 28 mil. units in 2016, up 14% y/y | IHS Blogs

China by far has the largest new car market in the world. Around 40% of VW sales are in China.
The top 3 most popular cars in China are not Chinese.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 PM

890 posts, read 882,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The top 3 most popular cars in China are not Chinese.
And they aren't GM either. As the 2016 link I provided shows, Chinese domestics are growing their market share.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I have a huge problem with them making cars in China and shipping them here. China, not Russia or any Muslim nation, is our greatest threat. A good case could be made that job loss to China is directly responsible for millions of unemployed Americans, the drug addiction crisis, etc. China is not a democracy and has no concept of human rights. They drive many animals to the brink of extinction for fake medicine. Our allies in East Asia are Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan. I have no problem buying a Detroit brand car assembled in those countries (like the Buick Encore) but for those companies to assemble cars in China to ship to North America is an act of treason. If ignorant consumer buy those cars you could see all car production shift to China and that would be the end of the American middle class.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have a huge problem with them making cars in China and shipping them here. China, not Russia or any Muslim nation, is our greatest threat. A good case could be made that job loss to China is directly responsible for millions of unemployed Americans, the drug addiction crisis, etc. China is not a democracy and has no concept of human rights. They drive many animals to the brink of extinction for fake medicine. Our allies in East Asia are Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan. I have no problem buying a Detroit brand car assembled in those countries (like the Buick Encore) but for those companies to assemble cars in China to ship to North America is an act of treason. If ignorant consumer buy those cars you could see all car production shift to China and that would be the end of the American middle class.

What I am told by GM personnel:

GM has one model made in China. I cannot remember the name, but they sell something like 20,000 of them a year. Some time ago, they imported a few engine types form China, but it did not work out well, so they stopped.

All the car makers use a lot of parts made in China or partially process/finished in China. Some types of coatings are done only in China because other countries will not allow the resulting. pollutants.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:22 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The other issue with China is they don't let any non-Chinese automakers freely sell cars in China, so why should anyone else let them sell in their country? For GM or Toyota to sell cars in China they have to set up a 50/50 joint venture with a local Chinese company. Why let the Chinese company sell freely here without the same requirement in reverse?

Old 07-05-2017, 02:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
And they aren't GM either. As the 2016 link I provided shows, Chinese domestics are growing their market share.
Wuling is a joint venture between SAIC Motor, General Motors, and Liuzhou Wuling Motors Co Ltd.

Last edited by eaton53; 07-05-2017 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive